Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

Bonking ... not feelin' well DurtGurl is down for a spell

I can now add a fractured scapula to my long list of fractured bones. The pain was just too much today so I decided to get my shoulder into urgent care for some x-rays and yup, I did some damage on Saturday's fall at Goat Camp. Good news is that the fracture is non-displaced and that there appears to be no ligament or other joint damage. Yippeee!!!

When I called the ortho surgeon to get an appointment and revealed that I had a fractured scapula the gal responded "NO WAY!!! NO ONE breaks their scapula" A little internet research reveals that less that 1% of fractures are to the scapula because of how it's hidden in muscle etc and how big it is. Seems the only way to get to it is by "Blunt Trauma". I would describe my crash to the ground as "blunt trauma" Anyhow, the uniqueness of the injury got me into the doc this afternoon. He was rather disappointed that I didn't require some landmark surgery to put together a broken scapula but I was thrilled. Orders are for me to lay low for 2 weeks, revisit him for more x-rays and followup, and then use pain levels to dictate my return to activities. I feel like I got off easy!!!

So here's my list: On my left side I've broken my tibia, fibia, pinkie joint, and now my scapula. On my right side I've broken my radius, ulna, tibia, and 2nd toe. In the middle I've broken several ribs and then there was the infamous sacrum fracture on Alta trail.

I can't wait to get back on my bike!! Do I have a problem?

Holy ****. You need more armor.

I've merely broken my right collarbone twice, left wrist, and left tibia (stress fracture). Being injured it no good.

Heal fast!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    So here's my list: On my left side I've broken my tibia, fibia, pinkie joint, and now my scapula. On my right side I've broken my radius, ulna, tibia, and 2nd toe. In the middle I've broken several ribs and then there was the infamous sacrum fracture on Alta trail.
    Wow, that's it! kidding....

Heal up, I enjoy seeing your posts
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All of us Mtn bikers have a problem........It is called an interest in "speed and danger" Seriously, get well soon. I know a good Chiropractor!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Holy ****. You need more armor.
    A roll cage has been suggested

wretch
    There must be something in the air, we are all gettin injured. . . dropping like flies. Healing vibes, if you need some good sports minded PT I can point you in the right direction.

How long are you off?

mtbr member
    No extra scars or hardware for the body! That's good news DG!

oooh, shiny...
    Thats to bad. If it makes you feel any better i took a handlebar to the chest the other day, Still a little sore from that.

mtbr member
    That sucks!!

You posted up when I fractured my wrist in August, so I better pass on the fast recovery that I had.

Lucky its raining and you cant go out anyways!!

Brit.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So you won't be at Goat Camp on Saturday?

Well heal fast! Sounds like the work of some sort of endo-type maneuver. A lot of stuff atatches to the scapula, but the fracture (not displaced) sounds a lot better than it could have been.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a buddy break his when he had a snowboarder land on him... Sucks as they can't even do anything for ya. Give ya a sling but otherwise the do not do anything but confirm its broken.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    So you won't be at Goat Camp on Saturday?

Well heal fast! Sounds like the work of some sort of endo-type maneuver. A lot of stuff atatches to the scapula, but the fracture (not displaced) sounds a lot better than it could have been.
    One year I rode Goat Camp the day after FOTP... never again! Of course, I won't be doing FOTP this year (I'm really really bummed about this) and I won't be doing Goat Camp on Saturday or anything else on Sunday. But I will be eating loads of Turkey on Thursday! Wish I could join you on your virgin trip down the Goat. She's a mean one, so be careful.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I had a buddy break his when he had a snowboarder land on him... Sucks as they can't even do anything for ya. Give ya a sling but otherwise the do not do anything but confirm its broken.
    Same thing as when I broke my sacrum.... "yup, you broke your butt" was all I got out of the doctor.

mtbr member
    I can now add a fractured scapula to my long list of fractured bones. The pain was just too much today so I decided to get my shoulder into urgent care for some x-rays and yup, I did some damage on Saturday's fall at Goat Camp. Good news is that the fracture is non-displaced and that there appears to be no ligament or other joint damage. Yippeee!!!

When I called the ortho surgeon to get an appointment and revealed that I had a fractured scapula the gal responded "NO WAY!!! NO ONE breaks their scapula" A little internet research reveals that less that 1% of fractures are to the scapula because of how it's hidden in muscle etc and how big it is. Seems the only way to get to it is by "Blunt Trauma". I would describe my crash to the ground as "blunt trauma" Anyhow, the uniqueness of the injury got me into the doc this afternoon. He was rather disappointed that I didn't require some landmark surgery to put together a broken scapula but I was thrilled. Orders are for me to lay low for 2 weeks, revisit him for more x-rays and followup, and then use pain levels to dictate my return to activities. I feel like I got off easy!!!

I can't wait to get back on my bike!! Do I have a problem?
    Awesome, we can get fat together.

Anybody tell you time to pick up safer hobbies? I've--knock on wood--never broken a bone on my body (or at least that I know of).
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 11-27-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I ride with tools

C( )de?

I feel like I got off easy!!!

My kinda girl!

srsly, tho, I hope you heal fast and are ready to rock by the Xmas holiday season.

JB

mtbr member
    Get better soon. See ya next Friday, Ill be in town....

my dog's Frisbee launcher

I can't wait to get back on my bike!! Do I have a
    Dam, DurtGurl your catching up...scapula? that's on my broken bone check check list as well....I was going very fast and hit very hard, my that one smarted that is a hard one to damage...good job...I think? hope you're back riding soon.

problem? what problem?

Cheers, Billy ..."Ride Fast Take Chances"
    Darwin was an Optimist

Knollician
    Just when you think you own the mountain....
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

EDR
    Holly crapolla...I haven't broken a bone since I fell off the monkey bars when I was about 7 years old. I gotta find some wood to knock on...bye.

mtbr member
    Holy Cow-zers!

What a drag! Heal up, and drink you moo!

Maui Grown
    Wow, you have more battle scars than I do. Heal-up.

mtbr member
    Dam! that sucks. hope you get well soon.

Happy trails
    Ouch girl!
    u do like the unique injuries.
    get well wishes coming your way.
    Aaron

Shred...it's the new drug
    yup, like trukee said something is in this november air. I took a good one off the spine on the waterfall today (total bike failure, none of my own...yeah, thats what I'll tell everyboby) twisted the wrist but nothin broke, thank jevus. keep up with the pma, visualize your bone fairy's rebuilding your skeleton. you'll be back ridin' soon enough.
    my broken bone list:
    broken left collarbone
    broken right forearm compound fracture (2 plates, 16 screws)
    broken lower 5 left rips and ruptured spleen (almost died, but they gave me the good drugs
    seperated left shoulder
    and a floating piece of bone in my shin that I play with when I get nervous

mr. wonderful
    First Ronnie and now you?
    With the law of 3s, I might be wise to lay low until someone else breaks the third

That's a bummer K, but with your attitude and the level you've been hitting it lately, I'm sure you'll pick up right where you left off without skipping a beat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast