Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

Dumonde Tech lube - which do you use?

Yesterday I tried Dumonde Tech lube on my road bike for the first time. I have the "lite" version, which was recommended for road bikes on the Dumonde Tech website. I have to say -- this stuff is amazing! My chain has never been so quiet and smooth. No kidding - there is a marked difference between the Dumonde Tech and previous lubes.

So now I want to try Dumonde Tech on my MTB's. According to the website, they recommend the regular lube for MTB use. I assume the regular lube is thicker, which would be better for wet/muddy conditions. But thicker lubes generally gunk up more in dry conditions, so I am inclined to try the "lite" version on my MTBs as well. I'm just not sure it will last very long since it is pretty thin.

Question -- those of you Dumonde Tech lube users, which do you prefer - regular or lite? And why?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    It's Environmentally safe and boasts a strangely appealing smell. I'll try some.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    I use the lite on my mtb. Never tried the regular, but I believe dry and dusty conditions call for the lite and wet conditions the regular. I get about 60 miles per application. I brush the cogs and chain between rides; there's more gunk after the first ride and less after each successive ride.

Performance in Chandler used to carry it, but stopped. They also stopped carrying Carboom. I really don't have a reason to go in there now. Although I ordered both on line from Performance.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I tried the regular, but I thought it was too goopy. Perhaps I'd use it during a rainstorm, but otherwise I've been using the lite exclusively (for years) and I'm plenty happy with it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Black and Sticky
    I used the lite on both road and mtb. Agree with Doug that my chains were very quiet and smooth, great lube. The problem I have with the Dumonde is that I can't seem to apply a small enough amount. No matter what I did, it caused my chain to be gunky. I would apply the lube and then wipe and wipe and wipe my chain, still gunky after a ride. Couple months ago I switched to white lightning clean ride. Chain is not quite as quiet as with Dumonde, but remains clean and shifts are fine.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I used the regular as my goto NM chain lube. It exactly the same as the lite version, but more concentrated. the key is to not add too much. if you can pull it off, then the regular is much more economical than just getting the light.

As Bituman says, one needs a bottle with a tiny hole in it. then put the smallest drop you can on each link. fight the urge to squirt a stream and spin the cranks.

Doug, where is your source? I cant seem to find a local shop that carries the Regular version.
    b

Chunky Monkey

A Good Read on Chains

The debate rages on....

Thx,
    John

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_chain

Efficiency

A bicycle chain can be very efficient: one study reported efficiencies as high as 98.6%.[1] Efficiency was not greatly affected by the state of lubrication, the report's authors stating: "The role of the lubricant, as far as we can tell, is to take up space so that dirt doesn't get into the chain".[1] A larger sprocket will give a more efficient drive, reducing the movement angle of the links. Higher chain tension was found to be more efficient: "This is actually not in the direction you'd expect, based simply on friction".[1]

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    The debate rages on....

Thx,
    John

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_chain

Efficiency

A bicycle chain can be very efficient: one study reported efficiencies as high as 98.6%.[1] Efficiency was not greatly affected by the state of lubrication, the report's authors stating: "The role of the lubricant, as far as we can tell, is to take up space so that dirt doesn't get into the chain".[1] A larger sprocket will give a more efficient drive, reducing the movement angle of the links. Higher chain tension was found to be more efficient: "This is actually not in the direction you'd expect, based simply on friction".[1]
    Yes, I ran across that a few months back and tend to believe those guys who were researchers at Johns Hopkins, I think. I thought I remembered they said the lube displaced moisture. Anyway, interesting take on this subject.
    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Doug, where is your source? I cant seem to find a local shop that carries the Regular version.
    Slippery Pig sells both.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I tried both the lite and regular versions but they both seemed to attract a lot of dirt resulting in black "goop" after each ride. I'm now using another lube that I'm much happier with. A lot of peeps swear by Dumonde Tech, but I didn't have very much luck with it.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ
    Performance in Chandler used to carry it, but stopped. They also stopped carrying Carboom. I really don't have a reason to go in there now. Although I ordered both on line from Performance.
    I know the Scottsdale store has the lube. Maybe Chandler was just temporarily out so they pulled the tag until they get more in.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    I know the Scottsdale store has the lube. Maybe Chandler was just temporarily out so they pulled the tag until they get more in.
    Well, I asked, "Do you not carry Dumonde Tech anymore?". Cashier guy said, "Nope. Sorry." Same with CarBoom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ
    Well, I asked, "Do you not carry Dumonde Tech anymore?". Cashier guy said, "Nope. Sorry." Same with CarBoom.
    Just a heads up, I was in Chandler today and they had about 20 bottles on the lube rack back by the BMX bikes/shop area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Rage Cycles in Scottsdale carries both. I use it and get about 60 miles as another poster does. I don't find that it gets goopy if you have the patience to squeeze a single drop on every link, cycle the chain a dozen revolutions and wipe off the excess. I totally agree that the hole in the bottle could be smaller, but a light touch usually does the trick. I agree that it can gunk up a drivetrain if the last step, wiping off the excess is not performed. Otherwise, I think it's a great lube that lasts. It's easy to tell when when the lube needs reapplied, as you can hear it. I've never had much problem with any brand lube in Arizona as they all seem to work well for me, but I prefer Dumonde.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Just a heads up, I was in Chandler today and they had about 20 bottles on the lube rack back by the BMX bikes/shop area.
    Classic. Maybe the Carboom's over by the shoes.

I bike, I brew
    I've used the "regular" for years, and am completely satisfied. I've tried many, many others, and Dumonde hits the spot. That said, you definitely have to use their directions to the letter. If you're one of those that likes to apply and wipe just before hitting the trail, it most certtainly will gunk up. I find my best results come from applying sparingly, cycling through while shifting (to put a small amt on the cogs), wipe, and then a quick blast with my compressor. Like others have said, I get at least 60 miles this way - and no other lube matches that!

Flaccid Member
    Pedro's Dry Ice. Very happy with it.

mtbr member
    I use both the lite and regular depending on ride location and condition. It seems to build up on the links no matter how many times I wipe it off after applying, other than that it works pretty well for me.

I also use ATB along with Pedro's road rage and regular I find that the ATB II or III keeps things smooth and clean using the II, but seems to wear a lill quicker the III seems to last longer and just as clean.....same with Pedro's product and easy to control the application to chain links.

goo luck, hope you find the right lube

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Purple Extreme is the best and longest lasting I have tried. Dumonde didn't seem to last as long. With Purple Extreme chain needs to be very clean before application. Park chain cleaner does the job very well. Use a biodegradeable cleaner in it.
    agmtb

Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Purple Extreme is the best and longest lasting I have tried. Dumonde didn't seem to last as long. With Purple Extreme chain needs to be very clean before application. Park chain cleaner does the job very well. Use a biodegradeable cleaner in it.
    Purple Extreme is the lube I was using prior to trying out the Dumonde Tech. I used Purple Extreme exclusively on my road and mountain bikes for the past 2 years. It's not a bad lube, but I thought it wore out too fast.

On the roadie, the difference between Dumonde Tech and Purple Extreme is night and day. With the Purple Extreme, I got a regular purrrrrr from the chain and a slight noise on 2 of the middle cogs. With the Dumonde Tech (lite version), the chain is completely silent, even on those same 2 middle cogs. I'm not sure why this would be, but it's noticeable. And after 200 miles, the chain had an identical amount of dirt between the 2 lubes. But with the Dumonde Tech, the dirty gunk wiped off much easier and seemed to collect less on the cogs/chainrings.

So at least on the roadie, I'm going to switch to Dumonde Tech Lite.

I'll see how Dumonde Tech Lite works out on the MTB. Who knows...the Purple Extreme could still prove to be the better lube on the MTB. I will let you all know about my experience after a few weeks of use.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Lots of people recommended dumonde reg and lite to me but even with thorough wiping it still gets so gunked up I have switched to a lube that doesn't last as long but doesn't collect dust and create a lube cheese disaster. It even created a lube cheese scene on my road bike! Not as bad though.
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart

NardoSS
    Needed lube...got Dumonde Lite. Degreased chain overnight and let it dry. Applied Dumonde Lite on each link and whipped clean before road ride this morning. After 50 mile road ride my chain is whisper quiet and does not need another application of lubricant. Fan-freakin-tastic. Smells unique but not bad...I can't place it, but the odor is familiar.

Quiet, clean, long lasting. A+ for road bike.
    Not tested for Mtn bike yet.

Hope this helps. $9 for two oz bottle.

mtbr member

oil

when it comes to the chain there is no need for bike oil$
    there are so many good lubricants out there for a lot less money

motor oil 10w30 = pedros synth lube
    way oil = phil wood tenatious
    bar oil = good all around
    available in gallons

lighter oils
    way cheaper to get gun oil,
    many gun oils will say that they meet military specs those are best
    and penetrating oil from auto stores (liquid wrench)

cant forget wd-40 its my favorite cleaning product and it lubricates well for a short time

I would avoid with a 10 foot pole any lube that has any "shake well" instructions on them
    not a big fan of wax, PTFE, or any solids that must be applied with a evaporating carrier.

I have been using bar oil for years on my bike, motorcycle,chainsaw,

If you must use "bike oil" try A.T.B. absolutely the best and made in arizona

Master Gardener
    My lube can kick your lube's butt.

Meatbomb
    I like A.T.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast