Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????

Up here is Prescott, we have rain and snow and even if it stops now, could take a week of Sun to have dry trails. Anyone know if areas around Phoenix (BCT, Trail 100) or around Sedona have dry conditions or am I just dreaming???

My other ride is your mom
    I don't know if you're dreaming...but we spend all year on dry earth....I for one am happy for a little moisture. I sat outside the mercedes dealership yesterday, chuckling to myself as all the cars coming out of the service bay were nice and shiny, having just been washed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    We get far more rain in the summer compared to Phoenix, and when stuff gets really soaked it says that way because we have dirt and not just sand. Overall our stuff (and Sedona to a slightly lesser extent) stays wet and muddy for longer. As we were discussing in another thread, some of our trails never got very ridable from the storms that were weeks ago. Some of the trails in Phoenix like National and most of South Mountain are probably great, I've done those when conditions are pretty moist and I can't remember any issues. We see people on these boards talking about the rides they are still doing down in Phoenix, and trust me it's totally different up here. Sedona also gets spretty muddy and soggy in places, huge ruts, lots of mud. I've been out hiking there after some wet stuff and snow and it wasn't good, I definitely wouldn't take my bike out there, although I did see several ruts tearing up the trail. The higher the trail, the more dirt and mud I'd expect. BCT most likely has quite a few areas that are pretty muddy, also I highly doubt the river is crossable. I wouldn't even try that. I'll be thinking about South Mountain this Sat.
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, I am thinking SoMo may be the only rideaable stuff around-bet BCT is soggy.

It's a slugfest!
    Hawes in east Mesa always drains well. Heading out there this afternoon to see what the conditions are like.
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wonder how the river will be at BCT from RS to TM next Sat the 30th. We have a group ride planned for that day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Silver, post up what you find. Fiveo, love it at BCT for a good long one.

sixsixtysix
    SoMo was perfect this morning, tacky, couple puddles but great conditions overall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    666-i might just have to get down to the Valley and check out my beloved SoMo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    I wonder how the river will be at BCT from RS to TM next Sat the 30th. We have a group ride planned for that day.
    This sat sounds like a better day for creek boating to me, but by the 30th could be back to little or no flow.

GIVEN THE DURATION OF THE RAINFALL SOME AREAS MAY SEE FLOODING CONDITIONS THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING... BEFORE WATER LEVELS RECEDE.

AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR BLACK CANYON CITY EXPECTED TO RISE TO 27 FEET (FLOOD STAGE 16 FEET)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ran into silverslug on hawes. the trails were in perfect condition, by the way nice to meet you silverslug.

It's a slugfest!

Hawes was in great shape...

Quote Originally Posted by joey bennett
    Ran into silverslug on hawes. the trails were in perfect condition, by the way nice to meet you silverslug.
    Nice to meet you too Joey Bennett (or would you rather be called by your screen name?) Be careful hanging out with that Nunley character... I'll include the photo as promised...

It's always cool to hear the water flowing in the ravine as you enter from the Power road entrance. Snapped a few photos of the conditions. While Somo is a true destination location, Hawes is nice for me because it's just down the road. Hard to believe that just a few minutes away from the real world, you can be away from the real world. A little rutting here and there, but overall trail conditions were good. Air was clean. Breeze was nice. Good ride.

-ss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????-p1200012.jpg  

Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????-p1200007.jpg  

Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????-p1200006.jpg  

Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????-p1200005.jpg  

Dry Terra Firma Around The State?????-p1200003.jpg  

"I've got nothing to hoard...."

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Up here is Prescott, we have rain and snow and even if it stops now, could take a week of Sun to have dry trails. Anyone know if areas around Phoenix (BCT, Trail 100) or around Sedona have dry conditions or am I just dreaming???
    Just rode T100 yeserday and it was great! A few puddles in the lower washy parts but the rest was all good...GREAT! (cleaned off, not dusty, sticky, fast)

Quite a bit of rain now - ?should? still be ok by this weekend - stay on the higher trails.

Anyone clued in on BCT? Seems like it would be mostly o.k., yea?

Master Gardener
    We got 6" or more overnight and all the Preskit trails are socked in... except for 396. I rode it today and it's perfectly clear, because it drains so well.

Oh, and the Peavine is good now that the City sent a snowplow down it. LOL

Oh I'm a funny guy today!

Just another half mile...
    The Agua Fria might come down by the 30th depending on how much snow has fallen in the Bradshaws and if if melts down quickly.

Check the USGS website for stream flow info. I wouldn't cross if the flows are above 220 to 300 cfs. Right now it is flowing at 2400 cfs and rising.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider

Check the USGS website for stream flow info. I wouldn't cross if the flows are above 220 to 300 cfs. Right now it is flowing at 2400 cfs and rising.
    Which mean's it's perfect right now for attempting to cross in an SUV.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Good luck with that!
    Dec 2009
    just did a short loop of t100 start at 40th st and shea and it's not bad except a couple spots where you get some large puddles. the wet sand sucks to peddle through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yesterday the new called for rain to continue through sat. Weather.com is now saying partly cloudy sat with scattered showers all day tommorow. So will see. I'd like to get a ride in sat afternoon, but might be too soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Agua Fria - flood warning

The Agua Fria might come down by the 30th depending on how much snow has fallen in the Bradshaws and if if melts down quickly.

Riding BCT will be tough for a while.

From weather.com

* FLOOD WARNING FOR THE AGUA FRIA RIVER ABOVE ROCK SPRINGS. * UNTIL LATE FRIDAY NIGHT... OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELLED. * AT 2:00 PM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 15.6 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 16.0 FEET. * RECORD FLOODING IS FORECAST.

My other ride is your mom
    Rats are falling from the sky.....the locusts and trumpets are next.....SNOWPACALYPSE NOW!!!!!!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    mountain bikers getting all excited about rain... god you guys are spoiled... and yes, you may detect some envious overtones there...

Elitest thrill junkie
    If those hikers on National start at 5am, we could start at Pima at 8 or 9, leaving only the weak and diseased hikers on the trail to go around. Maybe go up to BV, head down Geronimo, back up Mormon, back to BV and down National.

Just another half mile...
    Holly molly..at 10 pm the gauge is at 27 ft and 43,400 cfs...that's a lot of water!

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Riding BCT will be tough for a while.

From weather.com

* FLOOD WARNING FOR THE AGUA FRIA RIVER ABOVE ROCK SPRINGS. * UNTIL LATE FRIDAY NIGHT... OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELLED. * AT 2:00 PM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 15.6 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 16.0 FEET. * RECORD FLOODING IS FORECAST.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Holly molly..at 10 pm the gauge is at 27 ft and 43,400 cfs...that's a lot of water!
    Man Im tempted to ride out to the crossing just to see that from the second gate and look down at the river. Where are you getting the info?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Me too!

Man Im tempted to ride out to the crossing just to see that from the second gate and look down at the river. Where are you getting the info?
    I have the same plan! I want to see it raging in the canyon, it will be an amazing site.

Edit: too muddy to ride, I'll be hiking it!

Tiff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast