Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Dropper or new wheelset?

I figured I'd post this here in the local thread as people have a better general idea what the trails are like in the area and that probably affects the answer. I'm almost always riding PMP because it's close to home and I can get there for a quick run after work or in the mornings.

That said: If you were to choose between a dropper post or a (tubeless) wheelset...which way would you go? I've read and heard that a dropper post is a real game changer...and I can see that. But a good wheelset upgrade is too. I guess, as things start to warm up and I'm riding less I'm looking towards upgrades for the fall when I'm back out there more. I'm sort of leaning towards a decent tubeless wheelset vs. the dropper post, but wondered at folks' thoughts. I'm down to my single speed 29er, don't necessarily have plans to buy a new bike (yet). Wheelset, right?!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Most wheelsets can be converted to tubeless. I'd buy the dropper in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Enlighten me! I don't care about the bike being heavy...my fitness level is the biggest thing holding me back. What I DO care about is having more fun while I'm out there. A couple friends have said the same thing--the dropper is such a huge difference. Why so?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I doubt I can enlighten you; there are a bunch of threads you can search for to give insight on droppers.

You can spend a few bucks to convert your current wheelset to tubeless, which is a significant advantage here in regards to weight and traction.

As for the dropper, I find it to be one of the most significant pieces of mountain bike technology in the past five or so years. I couldn't imagine riding without one.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Another vote for the dropper post. I am a fan of a great wheelset, but after switching to a dropper post on my AM bike, I would never go back to a regular post. I would never, ever, ever, ever give up my Kind Shock post. It is so great to be able to pedal through a trail with your post at a height where you are most bio-mechanically efficient, come across some serious gnar, drop your post in less than a second, and just keep blasting through that sh*t.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Blatant is right about conversion as well. All you need is some gorilla tape, some stans, and some valve stems, and you can convert to Tubeless. Total cost? Maybe like 35 to 40 bucks **if** you don't go completely ghetto. Could be less.

mtbr member
    I got a dropper seat on my FS bike and this is the number of times I REALLY needed to use it on the following trails.

Sonoran Preserve - rode every inch of it - NEVER.
    Black Canyon Trail - rode from Glorianna all the way down to Sonoran - NEVER.
    McDowell Mountain Park -rode 80% trails- NEVER
    McDowell Sonoran Preserve- rode most of the trails there - ONCE on Bell Pass DH and I could have used on Tom's thumb few times.
    Hawes - did most trails - couple of spots where it was helpful
    Trail 100 - one spot - I didn't ride any other trails in PMP..
    Pima and Dynamite - NEVER
    Spur Cross/Cave Creek Park - one spot
    Deem Hills - dropper was helpful not a necessity.

I am yet to ride SO MO I would imagine the dropper would come in handy there.

I also wonder if I have learned how to roll off drops properly if I ever really would need the dropper.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I got a dropper seat on my FS bike and this is the number of times I REALLY needed to use it on the following trails.

McDowell Sonoran Preserve- rode most of the trails there - ONCE on Bell Pass DH and I could have used on Tom's thumb few times.

I also wonder if I have learned how to roll off drops properly if I ever really would need the dropper.
    All of these trails I would ride with my XC bike, and I agree no dropper post is needed there and a super light wheelset would probably be my choice if I was upgrading on that bike. However, if you are into gnarly stuff like National, Geronimo, Holbert, the crazier stuff in Sedona and Flag, Goat Camp, etc, go with the post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    All these votes for dropper post warm my heart.

If you need one, you should know where, and why. If you don't, you don't.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dropper is the second best "upgrade" I have done closely behind running tubeless
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member

Dropper or new wheelset?

Never thought I would ever need a dropper seat post. Actually thought they would be a passing fad. I live in NorCal but visit AZ with bikes multiple times a year. I received a dropper seat post as a gift upon arriving in Scottsdale and promptly installed it and fell in love with it riding all over SoMo last week. Especially a "game changer" on the rides where there are multiple ups and downs.
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

Pivotal figure
    Dropper posts are one of the few things that I can truly say you'll wonder how you ever got by without one. Lighter wheels are great but having the ability to lower the seat for better riding position without stopping is something you have to experience to truly appreciate. I don't think I could ride without one now...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EDR

Re: Dropper or new wheelset?

I have to ask, if you're not looking to save weight then what exactly are you looking to gain with a new wheel set?

the dropper post is a fantastic upgrade if you're into riding stuff like the upper trails at South Mountain. For XC type riding I don't think it really provides many advantages at all.

Like another poster said, if you don't know that you want one then you probably don't need one at this point. It really depends on the type of riding you like to do.

Ask yourself this question, do you frequently adjust the height of your seat post for the trails you ride? Or do you wish you could?

MTB B'dos
    I'm chiming in, please don't shoot me for it since I don't live there, but here are my thoughts and a question...

What is your current wheelset, is it an absolute piece of crap with shitty engagement and heavy (2200g>), narrow rims? If you answer YES to this question, then definitely wheels, if not, then the dropper post. You can "get by" in a lot of places without one, stop when you absolutely need to lower your saddle, but if you're with a group or riding solo it helps to maintain the flow as you don't have to stop if you come to such a section you need to lower your saddle.

I recently got one and before there were maybe 4 or 5 places on island that I absolutely needed it, but since I have it now I use it a lot more and in those places I used to stop and lower the saddle I don't have to anymore, so the flow is not broken and I roll straight into it maintaining my momentum. I have an X-Fusion HiLo that can be adjusted infinitely, so if I feel I just want it dropped 3/4" for general riding of the trail, 2" for a flowy DH that's not uber steep or 3" or 4" for super steeps I can, much prefer this design over the ones with preset height levels.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

My other ride is your mom
    This thread has convinced me I need a dropper...with or without a remote?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Go forth and purchase. I can't say anything bad about my Kind Shock i950r. Infinitely adjustable, and it always works. Get the LEV if you can afford it so the cable length is consistent.

Get a remote too. If you're in a section where you need the dropper, you want both hands on the bars, right? I mounted my remote on the left side, because I don't shift the crank as much as the cassette, but that's a personal preference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Most wheelsets can be converted to tubeless. I'd buy the dropper in a heartbeat.
    That is correct. Personally I run tubes and std seat post, but I don't run PMP very often. If I wanted to ride all the nasty stuff at PMP day in and day out I would probably convert to tubeless and get a dropper post. I would not get new wheels to do it. Just a conversion will work.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    If you goal is to improve your riding experience (having more fun), the seat dropper is a great way to improve your bike kung fu.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post

I ride mostly the same trails as you and never needed the dropper. Riding down VOAZ and Irregular at PMP for my did not require a dropper either. Same for heading up mormon, up national and taking national west past ranger. This is on 26" hardtail with a 100 mm fork. So there are many places you don't need a dropper and for me I never worried about my seat getting in the way.

However if I rode PMP every day and I wanted to tackle all the nasty stuff it might make sense. Poor mans dropper however is just to manually lower the seat and raise it again. That is easy to try and see if it does anything. The dropper just makes this an easier to do.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

EDR

Re: Dropper or new wheelset?

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    With. It just works better...and I was very resistant to it at first.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    MY dropper has more use than a tijuana lady of the night. KS950-never had one issue other than my cable rubbing my back tire every now and then. I recommend with remote...ghetto tubeless on my xc for $25 bucks. 2 bmx tubes and a bottle of stans. Second best purchase next to a downhill bike.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, whatever....now what about flat pedals and piss-pot helmets?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sounds good. The fact that I don't know and some responses have made mention of that is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Honestly I'm a total noob so this is helpful. The bike isn't holding me back, ME is holding me back. Er...well you get it. There haven't yet been any times where I've thought to myself that I better have a dropper post, but so many people indicate they make such a big difference. Worth asking.

I do however ride flats But only because they came with the bike & I'm cheap and uncoordinated enough that clip-ins would probably get me killed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dropper post will increase your confidence knowing that you could lean back without the seat pushing you OTB. Seriously increased my riding abilities.

recovering roadie
    Dropper. With remote. No contest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast