Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

For Downhillers Eyes Only- New Mingus Proposal- Others Ignore

I was cruzing through some YouTube potential music selections for my own videos and came across this downhill video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVecRFH63o) that looked like it could fit into the Mingus type terrain. Curious if anyone else thinks it would be a good fit for Cottonwood?

TD

mtbr member
    Great vid! There's definitely some serious penalty for failure on some of those trails.

No Clue Crew
    That's what Mingus Mountain looks like? Sweet Jesus I gotta get up there!

Actually, I will be up there at the end of August. Looking forward to it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    That's what Mingus Mountain looks like? Sweet Jesus I gotta get up there!

Actually, I will be up there at the end of August. Looking forward to it.
    b0:

Kinda looks like the video you posted an hour ago.

TD

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    Great vid! There's definitely some serious penalty for failure on some of those trails.
    Don't fail then.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Don't fail then.
    You mean like your wheelie attempts last night?

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    You mean like your wheelie attempts last night?

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    that vid is insane. Just awesome.

banned

Think big

How would this music work for my Sedona videos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvE8CY7QqE ???? Might be some good trail ideas for Flag. I spoke to the guy who got the State of Oregon to give the volunteer mountain bikers this spot to build some fun trails. Maybe Anthony could show this to the FS to get a feel for some new trail ideas. If they can do it in Oregon why not Flagstaff?

TD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just gotta put in the hrs of trail work/maintenance, and bam! wc level trail. 28th st imo would b closest, but kinda short. in almost 8 yrs i have only seen the 2/3 regulars building up there, and they most always stay in their own personal zones. there is obviously lots of potiental, but only two areas that i know of for the pedal challenged unload and go types.
    j

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by foamfreak View Post
    just gotta put in the hrs of trail work/maintenance, and bam! wc level trail. 28th st imo would b closest, but kinda short. in almost 8 yrs i have only seen the 2/3 regulars building up there, and they most always stay in their own personal zones. there is obviously lots of potiental, but only two areas that i know of for the pedal challenged unload and go types.
    j
    And the landmangers just wonder how they could harness all that energy to repair equestrain trails.

TD

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    either way.. and you're correct about this trail being a good fit for mingus, and i would ride it every day for a yr straight before i would get bored. realistically speaking though...something of that quality, with the current mingus volunteers and/or forest service, would take yrs.
    j

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    How would this music work for my Sedona videos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvE8CY7QqE ???? Might be some good trail ideas for Flag. I spoke to the guy who got the State of Oregon to give the volunteer mountain bikers this spot to build some fun trails. Maybe Anthony could show this to the FS to get a feel for some new trail ideas. If they can do it in Oregon why not Flagstaff?

TD
    We are working on it TD. The terrain on Elden is very different then BR, we have a lot more rocks and steep features but there is room for some fast and flow-e kind of stuff with some big air as well. I have spent the last 3+ years exhausting all of the options to make sure we can provide the gravity riding crowd with the best possible trails and I think we are getting a good idea for a proposed system finally. I hardly ride anymore, if I get free time I'm hiking and flagging these days. So far from our talks with the Coco NF wooden structures for the most part aren't going to happen nor will do or die gaps but well built step downs, safely built doubles, step ups, and drops are ok as long as they are properly marked and have go around options. Even though Flag's terrain is very different then the BR footage you posted I think it's what makes it so special and good. IMHO the terrain around Private is some of the best in the lower 48 from what I have seen.

Eroding into the trail

Only one word to describe this - AWESOME!
    NZ rocks!

mtbr member
    either way.. and you're correct about this trail being a good fit for mingus, and i would ride it every day for a yr straight before i would get bored. realistically speaking though...something of that quality, with the current mingus volunteers and/or forest service, would take yrs.
    j
    At least you're not working with red rock ranger district here. Things should go a little quicker and be less about aesthetics and vibrational energies and more about how the actual trail is built.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    At least you're not working with red rock ranger district here. Things should go a little quicker and be less about aesthetics and vibrational energies and more about how the actual trail is built.
    i don't believe anyone associated with mtbing is currently working w/ prescott FS, or has worked w/ them for the last 2ish years, on maintaining existing trails or legally expanding the current gravity style trail system on mingus. politics aside, from my experience a trail of this magnitude on mingus would take yrs, and w/ politics..triple that time. not to mention the $$ involved if the FS/land managers are included. by the time the politics alone were worked out (if ever) on a single project like this TD most likely would not be with us, and most of the active mingus volunteers would not be physically able to ride at the level needed to get down the hill.
    j

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i don't believe anyone associated with mtbing is currently working w/ prescott FS, or has worked w/ them for the last 2ish years, on maintaining existing trails or legally expanding the current gravity style trail system on mingus. politics aside, from my experience a trail of this magnitude on mingus would take yrs, and w/ politics..triple that time. not to mention the $$ involved if the FS/land managers are included. by the time the politics alone were worked out (if ever) on a single project like this TD most likely would not be with us, and most of the active mingus volunteers would not be physically able to ride at the level needed to get down the hill.
    j
    Don't take this the wrong way but it's this attitude that has kept anything legit from happening so far. I may not get to ride all the great trails in N. Az.'s future but I want to have an active part in it for ridings future and for the kids. The non-sanctioned fr/dh trails here in Az. are way behind places that have gone legit as far as progression goes in riding and building. I'm kind of tired of the whole "If it doesn't benefit me and benefit me now then why do the work" mentality. Yep, it's going to take years and a whole lot of work but everything that is actually worth something usually does.

"No Clue Crew"
    Normally when i'm out riding there is a camera crew in a chopper following me as well...... It's a really quiet chopper.......Oh and they fly really far away to get wide shots.....Most times you don't see them, but they are there...............Drew

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    Normally when i'm out riding there is a camera crew in a chopper following me as well...... It's a really quiet chopper.......Oh and they fly really far away to get wide shots.....Most times you don't see them, but they are there...............Drew

Actually, it's the CIA (or NSA) using a small remote-controlled helicopter to track you! They are responsible for the most recent flats you had also!
    They are there & you can't escape their snoopage!
    The bedazzled components on your bike may have an adverse effect on their surveillance equipment, so use more of it!
    Good luck!
    I never composed this msg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but it's this attitude that has kept anything legit from happening so far. I may not get to ride all the great trails in N. Az.'s future but I want to have an active part in it for ridings future and for the kids. The non-sanctioned fr/dh trails here in Az. are way behind places that have gone legit as far as progression goes in riding and building. I'm kind of tired of the whole "If it doesn't benefit me and benefit me now then why do the work" mentality. Yep, it's going to take years and a whole lot of work but everything that is actually worth something usually does.
    its cool bro, none taken....we all have our own ideas how to get things done trail-wise. just to be clear, i would love/support to have many "legal from the start" dh specific tracks coming off both sides of mingus for my dh talented, wc bound daughter to rip up in the future. i also completely agree that N. Central AZ has some of the best yr round riding available in the states, and also that AZ is way behind the curve in trail building and progression compared to many places in colorado, pacific NW, and BC just to name a few. i personally am aware of what my skills are, and playing politics is not one of them(ask my co-workers). but if there is somone that wants to be the front person on a project as such, be my guest! on the note of immidiate trail-building gratification...from where i was "standing" at the time, if there wasn't the few motivated poeple looking for more challenging trails for their more advanced bikes and skills in flagstaff the last decade, we all would be still dh'ing schultz. basically most of those currently poached trails in flag are most likely going to turn legal, w/ the help of people like you, sometime in the near future...same with most other areas in the states and canada. if history repeats, why would mingus be any different?
    j

Elitest thrill junkie
    While i like the trail in the video and i did just ride a fun trail on mingus yesterday, id rather have a new DH trail in the forest in Prescott, that can link with other trails if you want to climb it, within the forest coverage of the bradshaws. I think that would privide the maximum benefit to Prescott businesses and the riding experience here.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's going to take years and a whole lot of work but everything that is actually worth something usually does.
    but if there is somone that wants to be the front person on a project as such, be my guest!
    j
    Unfortunately, I need income to survive for the next 30 years or so. If I could get every mtb'er in northern az to pitch in a buck a day, I'd be more than happy to spend the rest of my life trying to talk some trail sense into the guys in green.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    ra:

You have indicated you are out doing some investigation for some new sections of trail that will make good connector ideas between two existing trails. I am assuming some of those connector trails will possibly have a more advanced flavor to them to satisfy the riding style of some of your ridding buddies.

It will be interesting if the FS steps up and spends the taxpayers money to get all the approvals to just OK your project for actually being a future trail. I think there has been mention of other possible trails in the Flagstaff area that you aren't the point person on at this time, so it will be interesting to see the process move forward.

In Sedona the current leaders who would like to see new trails added talk about putting a list together of new potential projects to present to the FS for approval. I think such an idea is somewhat problematic in that once you let the land manager know where you believe a new trail should be built, if it is never approved there is a problem.

That problem is that if the non-approved trail actually gets built in the future the person who originally put all the work into figuring out a great alignment now is a person of interest in the who built that new trail investigation.

Rather than there being numerous persons of interest as to who built the new trail there is only one or two on a short list, since they originally came up with the original idea, and it is only logical that they may have been the ones who constructed it.

This is where there needs to be a clear understanding between what the land manger is will to accept in a new trail project and whether they have the resources in this challenging financial period to allocate currently strained personnel's time to work on everyone's cool new trail idea.

The problem someone like you will have is that if you come up with a new trail idea that you totally believe would be a great addition to the current quiver of Flagstaff trails, and that new idea isn't ever built you may be frustrated and may choose to...?????..move to Fall City, Oregon where your trail ideas will be embraced.

TD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ra:

You have indicated you are out doing some investigation for some new sections of trail that will make good connector ideas between two existing trails. I am assuming some of those connector trails will possibly have a more advanced flavor to them to satisfy the riding style of some of your ridding buddies.

It will be interesting if the FS steps up and spends the taxpayers money to get all the approvals to just OK your project for actually being a future trail. I think there has been mention of other possible trails in the Flagstaff area that you aren't the point person on at this time, so it will be interesting to see the process move forward.

In Sedona the current leaders who would like to see new trails added talk about putting a list together of new potential projects to present to the FS for approval. I think such an idea is somewhat problematic in that once you let the land manager know where you believe a new trail should be built, if it is never approved there is a problem.

That problem is that if the non-approved trail actually gets built in the future the person who originally put all the work into figuring out a great alignment now is a person of interest in the who built that new trail investigation.

Rather than there being numerous persons of interest as to who built the new trail there is only one or two on a short list, since they originally came up with the original idea, and it is only logical that they may have been the ones who constructed it.

This is where there needs to be a clear understanding between what the land manger is will to accept in a new trail project and whether they have the resources in this challenging financial period to allocate currently strained personnel's time to work on everyone's cool new trail idea.

The problem someone like you will have is that if you come up with a new trail idea that you totally believe would be a great addition to the current quiver of Flagstaff trails, and that new idea isn't ever built you may be frustrated and may choose to...?????..move to Fall City, Oregon where your trail ideas will be embraced.

TD
    I'm not sure I understand all of this TD. I don't think it's as confusing as your making it. We have Already acquired the money for the NEPA studies for the Dry Lake Hills and the Elden areas, from here on out it's trying to figure out what trails will work and how to reroute them to be more sustainable and actually more fun. This is all I have been up to really. Upper Oldham and Private Reserve could be the first two that we have agreed could be the best fits so far. We are going to be making something happen and either way the legit trails we will build will be more professionally built and more fun. We are only talking about trails here, it's not that big of a deal really. We will be making something happen. If it all falls through then I guess things won't be much different then they are now except the relationship between the Coco NF and the fr/dh community will suffer.

I won't be relocating any time soon, I love Flagstaff for many more reasons then the riding and I have to stay close to my daughter.

So I'm not sure where you were going with that and honestly I can't follow it so well, I hope you can make it a little easier for me to understand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ra:

TD
    i believe that this is the main reason why most dedicated trail builders keep to themselves, other than TD, and only reveal the fruits of their vision/labor once the project they are on is complete/sustainable... when they no longer have the need to be around such project w/ tools in their hands. basically eliminating the chances of fines/jail. this idea has worked great for many years/decades in mtb riding areas. from my experience poached trails usually end up w/ the FS/land managers turning a blind eye to the situation until finally caving in and adopting such trails as legal. currently i am not aware of anyone getting in trouble for building non-sanctioned trails in AZ, or anywhere else for that matter. so why should the motivated visionaries ever stop????
    j

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast