DNW
    mtbr member

Downhill into Grand Canyon, Anyone See This?

Somewhat bold move posting yourself like this, would have been nice to see some actual riding footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWZOouxqS0

AKA shitbird
    That would be a fun ride down, not so sure about the hike-a-bike up though. Oh and that whole legal issue sucks too.

Dig their soundtrack though. Clash, stones...can't go wrong
    JRA

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    That would be a fun ride down, not so sure about the hike-a-bike up though. Oh and that whole legal issue sucks too.

Dig their soundtrack though. Clash, stones...can't go wrong

awww. the ride was interrupted. poor guys.

http://www.ridingthespine.com/Journey/
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...anyon0302.html

jail..fines..

the man coming down on the little guys again.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    awww. the ride was interrupted. poor guys.

http://www.ridingthespine.com/Journey/
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...anyon0302.html

jail..fines..

Thanks for the update. I was wondering when the flagrant internet display of their law-breaking activities would get them in trouble. The little guys sealed the jail deal by flapping their traps about their accomplishment. If they'd just quietly done their thing, no one would be the wiser and they'd still be on their journey. Of course, maybe jail time is part of the journey.

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

Must have nabbed them after 24hr in the Old Pueblo.

Since thats where i saw them last.

Mike

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Thanks for the update. I was wondering when the flagrant internet display of their law-breaking activities would get them in trouble. The little guys sealed the jail deal by flapping their traps about their accomplishment. If they'd just quietly done their thing, no one would be the wiser and they'd still be on their journey. Of course, maybe jail time is part of the journey.

Its all a journey. It is good to live vicariously through others as well, and I am glad they posted the video and text.

viva la v-brakes!
    so did these guys actually ride into the canyon, there are no longer any details available of their offense.

Also, I liked the bit on the blog about the Sedona 5. I hadn't heard the whole story with the pot and shrooms. Those gnarly sedona guys are... uhh... a trip.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Saucy Size Moderator
    I got a couple flags the last time this was posted here, so I checked it out. Good on them for explaining in the video the legal ramifications of what they were doing.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    I guess we shouldn't expect them on the Sedona Fling rides, huh?
    I've nothing to add....

Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly

Riding the canyon is silly, running the mouth is asking for it. Not even a good ride, if it wasn't illegal no one would want to do it.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    so did these guys actually ride into the canyon, there are no longer any details available of their offense.
    They told me they had planned on just pushing their bikes (which is also not legal). The north rim had enough snow and the trail is dangerous / technical enough that it would be very hard to ride much of it, unloaded, with a long travel bike. On a loaded extra cycle? Forget it.

But between cottonwood camp and Phantom Ranch the trail is very smooth, wide, not dangerous, etc. They couldn't resist the temptation to ride through there.

I would like to sympathize with the guys, but posting about it was not smart, and not considerate of other cyclists who might want to cross the canyon, with a bike, legally. I could care less whether they rode or walked, but bragging about it online is not cool.

The part that bothered me was that they were pretending to carry their bikes (on their backs) once they got to where people were around. I really don't want to lose the privilege of having a bike in your possession while in the canyon. That would really suck.

As others have noted here, it's just another part of the journey for these guys. I don't think they are phased by it at all.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    The Sedona 5 probably would have pulled it off because the park was closed over the xmass holidays because of budget cuts. If not for the exuberant whoops and hollers and jumping up and down on the bridge, perhaps while "rushing out", the lone ranger still stationed at Phantom Ranch would have been none the wiser.

And those were some high end, botique bikes that were confiscated. I'd rather pay the fine and do the jail time.

mtbr member
    I think the video is gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

48 hours of jail time

Surely 48 hours of jail time is worth a ride in the GC........cuz that's all those poachers got

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spotme
    Surely 48 hours of jail time is worth a ride in the GC........cuz that's all those poachers got
    Plus a $500.00 "donation" to the search and rescue fund, as well as a five year ban from all national parks, which may be the worst part of the whole punishment.

Poaching some forbidden fruit from time to time is one thing, but If you do it, don't tell anyone! Also know the price of being caught and be fully prepared to pay it. No sympathy here.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!