Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Alive and Lurkin'

Dot 5.1 in the North Valley

Other than buying the Avid brake fluid from a bike shop, are there any Motorcycle/Auto stores that carry DOT 5.1 brake fluid in the North Valley? I've tried Checker, CycleGear, and RideNow PowerSports in the Hwy 51 area with no luck.

Any Suggestions?
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    Other than buying the Avid brake fluid from a bike shop, are there any Motorcycle/Auto stores that carry DOT 5.1 brake fluid in the North Valley? I've tried Checker, CycleGear, and RideNow PowerSports in the Hwy 51 area with no luck.

Any Suggestions?
    Do you need DOT 5.1? I believe I got the fuild I have in the brakes now at Checker.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I sub Dot 4 for Dot 5.1 in my Hopes.

Shovel Ready
    Jibro. Some Mercedes use it. Worse case check a dealer.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'd be curious to know too! I put some Dot 5 into someone's new Codes but was told by some shop guys that was a big no-no. Something about synthetic vs. nonsynthetic? So if we cannot find 5.1 anywhere, would substituting Dot 4 for Dot 5.1 be better than using Dot 5? I'm hoping someone in the know will spout some wisdom on the subject...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dot 3 , 4 , 5.1 is all compatible .....but if you really want a good brake fluid that will not fade use Motul high temp racing fluid , its rated as a 600 degree fluid but I see temps in excess of 1400 degrees come off superbike systems and 900 to 1200 come of moto systems and the Motul does not fade or change at all.

I was easily fading the standard 5.1 in my avids ...went to Motul and no more problem

I just picked up some 5.1 from NAPA two weeks ago or so ago for a truck I was overhauling the braking system on ........just make sure you do not ever use 5.0 silicone fluid ....this stuff is some of the worst fluid I have ever tried to use

mtbr member
    I think most NAPA or Checker stores carry it. If not, Checker could probably have it in a day or two if you ordered it. You can buy the Motul- .5 liter for $8 on amazon.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    KK: You CANNOT sub 5.0 for 5.1. Most manufacturers allow DOT 4 as a 5.1 sub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I'd be curious to know too! I put some Dot 5 into someone's new Codes but was told by some shop guys that was a big no-no. Something about synthetic vs. nonsynthetic? So if we cannot find 5.1 anywhere, would substituting Dot 4 for Dot 5.1 be better than using Dot 5? I'm hoping someone in the know will spout some wisdom on the subject...
    The dot 5 silicone fluid came around for hot rod guys that did not want the fluid to eat the paint if they ever got any on the paint , -----stupid i know but that was its claim to fame .

oils come in some different base categories ,....the quick and dirty explanation is --------you have "Petroleum" ......"Caster"..........".Vegetable"........".Mineral "

Brake fluid in most "English / American systems are "Vegetable fluid only systems .

The dot 3,4,5.1 are all Vegetable base brake fluids and are all compatible.

The strange dot 5.0 is a hybird design silicone base that is supposed to work with in a vegetable base system .......but it DOES NOT and really should not ever be used as a brake fluid at all .

Now this is just a down and dirty simple explanation .......I could right a book on oils , fluids and the like but it gets really boring really quick .

And do not ever mix ---Petroleum ...Caster.....Vegetable.....Mineral ever in any form other than salad dressing ......

mtbr member
    i believe horizon motorsports on 20th ave and rose garden carries motul dot 5.1. at least they did last time i bought a bottle.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Dot 3 , 4 , 5.1 is all compatible .....but if you really want a good brake fluid that will not fade use Motul high temp racing fluid , its rated as a 600 degree fluid but I see temps in excess of 1400 degrees come off superbike systems and 900 to 1200 come of moto systems and the Motul does not fade or change at all.

I was easily fading the standard 5.1 in my avids ...went to Motul and no more problem

I just picked up some 5.1 from NAPA two weeks ago or so ago for a truck I was overhauling the braking system on ........just make sure you do not ever use 5.0 silicone fluid ....this stuff is some of the worst fluid I have ever tried to use
    I think the Motul RBF600 is the stuff I'm looking for. Brand new Codes and they're as soft as Doo-doo. Fade like Doo-doo too. If all the 5.1 stuff is the same a racing DOT 4 is probably the way to go. I've been gaining some more mass these days and need all the help I can get to keep the brake power firm and even.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Kathleen in AZ
    So.... would flushing the 5.1 from the lines with 4 clean it out enough or should I disassemble everything thing and really wash all the rubber bits in the levers and calipers? And if I did that, what do I wash with? Geeez, for being a scientist and a self-proclaimed good bike mechanic, I sure am a dolt about hydraulic brakes! But my moto has always been "live and learn" Sometimes the learning comes with a price

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think the Motul RBF600 is the stuff I'm looking for. Brand new Codes and they're as soft as Doo-doo. Fade like Doo-doo too. If all the 5.1 stuff is the same a racing DOT 4 is probably the way to go. I've been gaining some more mass these days and need all the help I can get to keep the brake power firm and even.
    Yes the Motul 600 is what you are looking for , I have some if you can't find some soon enough .

I generally get mine from "SouthWest Dist" in PHX , I have seen it at "Cycle Gear "
    and the Apache Honda stores , ......and you can order it from "RockyMountain Cycle"

No Clue Crew
    It's been so long since I had my CBRs fluid changed I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure that's what I had put in my lines. Hadn't thought about putting it in a bicycle's lines but next time I need anything done with my brakes I'll have that fluid swapped and bled.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    So.... would flushing the 5.1 from the lines with 4 clean it out enough or should I disassemble everything thing and really wash all the rubber bits in the levers and calipers? And if I did that, what do I wash with? Geeez, for being a scientist and a self-proclaimed good bike mechanic, I sure am a dolt about hydraulic brakes! But my moto has always been "live and learn" Sometimes the learning comes with a price
    No, you do not have to breakdown all the pieces and parts. Yes, you do have to remove as much of the old fluid as possible, otherwise the new bleed will only be as good as the old fluid's temp rating. All cleaning and clean-up should be done with 90% Rubbing Alcohol.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Eroding into the trail
    Yes the Motul 600 is what you are looking for , I have some if you can't find some soon enough .

I generally get mine from "SouthWest Dist" in PHX , I have seen it at "Cycle Gear "
    and the Apache Honda stores , ......and you can order it from "RockyMountain Cycle"
    You can also order online from lots of MX stores, here is a couple of links.
    http://www.locox.com/Motorcycle-Gear/Brake-Chemicals/
    and another
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...0-0-0-24-1-3-1

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    What is the life span of Motul 600 in the bottle after being opened? According to Avid DOT fluid lasts only 48 hours after a bottle being opened before it absorbs to much moisture thus breaking down the fluid. If you create a good secondary seal can store it for maybe 2 weeks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've never had a problem finding it up in hickville Prescott, so I doubt you would in the valley. Yes, it has a shelf-life. If I don't use the entire bottle at once, I throw it away. It absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, doesn't necessarily "break it down", but it lowers the boiling point significantly.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm off to the moto store today to replace the "factory" fluid in my Avid Exclir's. I'm having major brake fade in and fade out on most longer descents. Originally, these brakes worked just fine, but now it sure seems like most of the new Avid's need a brake fluid flush within 6 months of use.
    I will give a report on the prognosis. I have a trip to the Alps coming up and I have been warned to have my bike's brakes in best ever working condition. We are talking many thousands of meters of descents (and some major climbing too) per day. I'm also taking an extra set of brake pads. I'm skeered!
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknobbies View Post
    What is the life span of Motul 600 in the bottle after being opened? According to Avid DOT fluid lasts only 48 hours after a bottle being opened before it absorbs to much moisture thus breaking down the fluid. If you create a good secondary seal can store it for maybe 2 weeks.
    Any brake fluid should only be opened before using and any left in the bottle should be discarded and not used at all.

Brake fluid should be changed very often , I change mine in my trucks cars and bicycles every 6 months .

In my race vehicles or race moto bikes I change it out all the time

"No Clue Crew"
    Victory Big Dog Motorcycles in Mesa has it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    I'm off to the moto store today to replace the "factory" fluid in my Avid Exclir's. I'm having major brake fade in and fade out on most longer descents. Originally, these brakes worked just fine, but now it sure seems like most of the new Avid's need a brake fluid flush within 6 months of use.
    I will give a report on the prognosis. I have a trip to the Alps coming up and I have been warned to have my bike's brakes in best ever working condition. We are talking many thousands of meters of descents (and some major climbing too) per day. I'm also taking an extra set of brake pads. I'm skeered!
    You are correct , about the 6 month mark the old brake fluid just looses any of its tempature threshold, ....nothing like new fresh high temp fluid with fresh pads .....its something thats is really overlooked by most people on their vehicles , and it sure can get your attention when it starts to go !!

Alive and Lurkin'
    Went back to Cyclegear 20mins ago and no good stuff (out of stock)...

I'm tired of chasing this stuff down locally. Found it online for $14.99 ordered 3!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

"No Clue Crew"
    Went back to Cyclegear 20mins ago and no good stuff (out of stock)...

I'm tired of chasing this stuff down locally. Found it online for $14.99 ordered 3!
    $11 at Victory!

mtbr member
    Hmm. I've been bleeding my juicies with the silicone stuff for a while. Its pretty (pink), doesnt take on air and doesnt burn my hands. Seems to be working fine, although I have one sticky rear brake on the f-bird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast