I am Bob

Good job! Don't like riding with a pack?

I've never really liked riding with a pack and have been slowly testing ways to ride with all the comforts of a pack for a 1/2 day ride (tools, 100oz or H2O, snacks, tubes, wallet, phone, keys). All said and done the gear, water and bag probably are around 15 lbs of weight that can shift around a bit.

I bought the frame pack that fits my Spearfish for overnight camping use, but started to ride with it on regular rides because I never feel comfortable with a pack on.
    I am tall and pretty skinny and there is not much that can be done to keep the pack from shifting around completely. I also sweat lots and the not having a pack on really helps cool me down.

I had concern about how the bike would handle with more weight lower. I knew this would help cornering, but thought it would cause problems riding up big steps and with climbing and descending moves that require a little finesse.

After my second ride climbing National to Telegraph I can say that I totally prefer having the weight off my back on onto the bike. I think it might actually help with technical climbing since the heavy weight needs to move less distance and it helps keep me balanced. Both rides I made every move (Edit: going up Mormon, that is, and the big steps on National after the Hobert junction, now that I think of it), except for lower waterfall, and I normally need to session a couple spots. I can't say for sure, but I'm attributing it to the better bike balance I feel with the pack off.

I'm really excited to use this setup when the heat comes back. No more stinky pack and the extra heat insulation that comes from it.
    For all day rides I'll probably bring a pack, but just use it for extra food and a rain jacket since those things are probably too bulky for the frame pack.Attachment 768379
    There are a bunch of options out there these days for frame packs and I think they are a good match for desert dwelling riders. Give it a shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Don't like riding with a pack?-frame-bag.jpg  

Last edited by chongoman; 02-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    Bob...I assume you have a bladder in your main bag. How are you accessing it....using a hose? If so, how are you routing it?

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Bob...I assume you have a bladder in your main bag. How are you accessing it....using a hose? If so, how are you routing it?
    This is a standard Camelbak bladder in the pack with the hose routed out of an opening in the top/front end of the bag and strapped to the stem with a small piece of webbing. The mouth piece can be easily tucked below the bars, but I like it sticking straight up (that's what she said).

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    does the tube go up to your mouth,, or is is like one of those trendy new vodka enemas that teens are doing nowadays.

My other ride is your mom
    So many questions, so many bad jokes. Do you have to stop to drink, or is the hose long enough/rigid enough when it sticks up (so much material here...) for you to drink on the fly.

Give it a crank
    Nice, if it worked on Natty, it really works!

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    So many questions, so many bad jokes. Do you have to stop to drink, or is the hose long enough/rigid enough when it sticks up (so much material here...) for you to drink on the fly.
    Yes, it is erect enough that it points straight up and I can put it in my mouth and suck on it repeatedly while riding...
    You have to be a bit more careful when drinking, but it was not a big deal to me. I drank most of the 100oz and I don't take many breaks when riding solo.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    (serious observation here)

if the hose is long enough to reach up to your mouth, then it would also be long enough to get stuck in your drivetrain if dropped?
    or does it ziptie to multiple points enroute

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    (serious observation here)

if the hose is long enough to reach up to your mouth, then it would also be long enough to get stuck in your drivetrain if dropped?
    or does it ziptie to multiple points enroute
    most of the hose in in the bag and comes out to the opening near the head tube. the hose is loosely fastened to the stem (to allow a little movement when turning the bars) with a piece of webbing and a slide thru buckle. I'm guessing, but I think it sticks up about 7 " (which is more than enough to satisfy. I don't care what anyone says) from the end of the stem. Look at the orange bite valve in the photo hovering above the bars and can be tucked back (remember that scene in Silence of the Lambs?) behind the bars if you don't want to look at it.

You do have to lean forward to drink a fair amount, but it's not enough to bother me. I just drink when I'm in a flat section of trail.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Such innuendo's LOL

Nice alternative, and cool idea ... Putting the Camelback bladder in the frame pack

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i can only imagine lowering your mouth to your stem to take a sip,, then hitting a bad bump.
    i still think its better to have it on your person, because that way you're not losing your focus on the trail.
    but i suppose you're not going to be drinking right in the middle of a bumpy descent anyways.

if you thought whacking your knee into your stem hurt,, imagine your teeth

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i can only imagine lowering your mouth to your stem to take a sip,, then hitting a bad bump.
    i still think its better to have it on your person, because that way you're not losing your focus on the trail.
    but i suppose you're not going to be drinking right in the middle of a bumpy descent anyways.

if you thought whacking your knee into your stem hurt,, imagine your teeth
    Definitely something to think about. It definitely requires a little more caution, but packs drive me nuts.

pedaller
    Roadie! Maybe you can get one of those tri bar bottles!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im still doing a fannypack that i got for xmas '92 with a pair of 32oz gatorades, even though i bought a camelback last fall

Vincit qui patitur
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do you swallow or spit it out?
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    Yes, it is erect enough that it points straight up and I can put it in my mouth and suck on it repeatedly while riding...
    You have to be a bit more careful when drinking, but it was not a big deal to me. I drank most of the 100oz and I don't take many breaks when riding solo.
    I am practically in tears reading this thread. Growing up is overrated.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I am practically in tears reading this thread. Growing up is overrated.
    AMEN brother!