Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Dog Suggestions...?

Just got a new dog -a Blue Heeler mix- and would like to introduce him to the trails. I was thinking of South Mountain, but it's been a while since I've ridden there and I can't remember how stringent are the leash rules. I don't plan on adhering to any leash policy, but I'd like to know who, if anyone, will be gunning for me when they encounter my free-ranging buddy.

Are there any leash regulations? If so, are they well enforced? One of the things I do remember is that, if anything needs a leash, a good start would be some of the goober hikers on Mormon and National.

Finally, I've heard good things about Estrella. Where is that located?

Thanks for the help! I'm from Idaho and, despite living here for 4 years, I possess little knowledge of the trails...

wretch
    everyone will be gunning, including people on the forums.

I say go early and ride at T100 lots more expansive trails and less "tension". I have never had a problem out there, you just have to be very courteous and cautious. Always stop when needed. I wouldnt ride with my dog off leash if I wasnt not 100 percent sure she would come at a beckon. . . but thats not an issue as she is never in front, and stays right on the rear tire.

I ride as many trails around here as I can, and with the dog whenever I can, but I will NOT take her to SOMO.

Another thing you need to be careful in deciding with the trails is how rough they will be on the pooch's paws.

You just have to be careful. . . plenty of water for the dog as well. Mine usually gets 3/4 of my 3L reservoir.

Your better off leashless in less populated areas like Globe, Prescott, Flagg (where people are also a little more accepting).

Tread carefully. Do everyone a favour and ride where you will encounter the fewest people. There are just as many riders out there who don't care for leashless dogs on the trails as there are hikers.

If your looking for trails check out the visitors sticky up top.

wretch
    Skinny your very clear and concise for god knows how many painkillers you must be on right now . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickNix
    Just got a new dog -a Blue Heeler mix- and would like to introduce him to the trails. I was thinking of South Mountain, but it's been a while since I've ridden there and I can't remember how stringent are the leash rules. I don't plan on adhering to any leash policy, but I'd like to know who, if anyone, will be gunning for me when they encounter my free-ranging buddy.

Are there any leash regulations? If so, are they well enforced? One of the things I do remember is that, if anything needs a leash, a good start would be some of the goober hikers on Mormon and National.

Finally, I've heard good things about Estrella. Where is that located?

Thanks for the help! I'm from Idaho and, despite living here for 4 years, I possess little knowledge of the trails...
    Let me preface this by saying "I'm on some serious drugs right now, so if this is a level, I'm blaming the drugs."

As a dog owner who also "ignores" the leash law (I don't bike with her, and only let her off during off peak hours), a mountain biker, I strongly encourage you *not* to ride with your dog off leash, especially in popular hiking/biking areas, and during peak times (i.e., weekend days). Yes, hikers will complain (both to you and to the park rangers), as will other bikers, ect., and it can be dangerous, especially if your dog is not used to the trails. (And a side note, if you got a new dog, how do you even know if he will behave off leash?)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    I second everything Truckee said - i take my dog offleash all the time, but almost always its undeveloped areas, social trails etc. My dog is very good around a few people, but if she is constantly dealing with people on a busy trail she gets distracted and is less under my control at those times - its no fun for either of us when that happens and I can not in good conscience say she is under my control in those situations. I usually drag-leash her now, and let her roam but call her and control her when people are approaching. Never to SOMO offleash, or Usery during busy times, etc. I would still bring a leash with you, be very proactive about controlling your dog around others and be very willing to be nice and defer when others ask you to leash the dog - guaranteed that you will get reported by somebody at any of the big parks. Slow times, late at night etc. where you will encounter the fewest people is your best bet. People imo are more willing to deal with the occasional dog on a less-crowded trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the advice!! I'll stay away from South Mountain.

He's pretty good off the leash; he's smart, he follows me and he comes when I call him.

Wierd that people out here are so finnicky about dogs... If a dog is worth a sh*t, he knows how to behave without a leash. Leashes are no fun...

Any suggestions about where to ride with him?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Skinny your very clear and concise for god knows how many painkillers you must be on right now . . .
    One, but I get to take another in 30 mins, so I'm sure it's wearing off. I'm so friggin bored right now, I'm considering proving Enstein's theory of Gravity.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 12-05-2008 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think you could go out to the area around Cavecreek road and Jomax.... never see anyone riding out there anymore. There are some hikers, but very few.... you will need to get a state land permit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A state land permit? Excuse the language, but, what the ****...? A permit to ride?

Anyone think people would be upset if I took him for a ride on Desert Classic? Or is this South Mountain stuff serious business?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice!! I'll stay away from South Mountain.

He's pretty good off the leash; he's smart, he follows me and he comes when I call him.

Wierd that people out here are so finnicky about dogs... If a dog is worth a sh*t, he knows how to behave without a leash. Leashes are no fun...

Any suggestions about where to ride with him?
    I grew up around dogs, so for the most I'm not scared of dogs, even ones off leash (I usually assume that if the owner let's them off leash, then they know the dog is not aggressive), but keep in mind not everybody is comfy around dogs for whatever reason. Has nothing to do with you, your dog, what whatever. They just are uncomfortable around them. Don't put the responsibility on them, as it's your responsibility to make sure nothing happens.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 12-05-2008 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Heh, I know it's my responsibility, but some people need to get a grip on reality. There are a lot of things that people do on a day-to-day basis which make me uncomfortable. Smoking in public, conspicuous resource consumption and poor trail etiquette are acts which tend to put me in awkward dispositions, but I wouldn't dream of punishing the offending party -even though most of these are things which are harmful to me; more harmful, I'd say, than a free-roaming dog.

I'll stop,though, before I get too deep in an unfulfilling rant...

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A state land permit? Excuse the language, but, what the ****...? A permit to ride?
    Yes... if you go on state trust land, usually its just for your car to be on the land. Just wanted to give you a heads up...

mtbr member
    Heh, I know it's my responsibility, but some people need to get a grip on reality. There are a lot of things that people do on a day-to-day basis which make me uncomfortable. Smoking in public, conspicuous resource consumption and poor trail etiquette are acts which tend to put me in awkward dispositions, but I wouldn't dream of punishing the offending party -even though most of these are things which are harmful to me; more harmful, I'd say, than a free-roaming dog.

Where did I say walking a dog offleash was harmful? Put yourself in the shoes of somebody who was attacked by a dog as a kid, or whatever. For whatever reason, they are not comfortable around dogs. Like I said earlier, I let my dog off leash occasionally when we hike (never when I bike), but if I realize somebody is uncomfortable, on the leash she goes.

Saucy Size Moderator

There are some freaky people on the trails. Phoenix is a BIG city and the trail-user population is getting bigger all the time, esp. this time of year. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a general rise in uptightedness out there, esp. on busy days -- holidays, weekends, first few cool days of the year, etc.

As a dog owner, I love nothing more than doing stuff with my dog off-leash. But not in the parks, especially not when it's busy. I don't coming across an unleashed dog in a park -- small dogs tend to end up underfoot and I'm afraid I'm gonna bump one, big dogs you just never know about. Out in the country, on a remote trail? Love 'em to death.

I've met hundreds of trail dogs off-leash on Mt. Elden, up in Sedona, in Payson, Prescott, Pinetop...always a good experience. I've also met off-leash trail dogs right here in town, and if it's a pretty quiet day I usually have no issue. It's when the day is busy, the dog's riled up and the owner shows no interest in leashing their dog (you know, kind of indicate that you have a leash and are prepared to use it and wait for me to yea/nay it) that I get unhappy.

p.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Keep your dog on a leash, I am comfortable around dogs but hate it when dog owners think it's ok to break the leash laws because their dog is the best dog in the world. If you want your dog to roam leashless take it to a dog park. Not everyone likes your dog like you do and doesn't necessarily want it in their face.

Letting your dog off it's leash is being just as inconsiderate as the public smoker, the conspicous resource consumer, and rude trail user. You are the "assumes everyone loves my dog to" trail user.

I am an on and off peak trail user and will narc on you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, to that respect, not everyone likes you like your mother does and I don't necessarily want you in my face.

But, alas, the world doesn't work that way.

Really, dude, you'd narc on me? Make sure you mention your post name before you rat me out so I can be sure to track you down and kick your ass!

...I'm awfully sorry this thread has hit a negative tone; I didn't know it was such a touchy topic.

mtbr member
    Well, to that respect, not everyone likes you like your mother does and I don't necessarily want you in my face.

Really, dude, you'd narc on me? Make sure you mention your post name before you rat me out so I can be sure to track you down and kick your ass!

...I'm awfully sorry this thread has hit a negative tone; I didn't know it was such a touchy topic.
    Pat, I'm on some serious pain killlers right now, but you seriously must be reading something into these posts. You asked for advice, and you got it. Now you have to get personal? Hhmmmm, not going to make many friends this way.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    Keep your dog on a leash, I am comfortable around dogs but hate it when dog owners think it's ok to break the leash laws because their dog is the best dog in the world. If you want your dog to roam leashless take it to a dog park. Not everyone likes your dog like you do and doesn't necessarily want it in their face.

Letting your dog off it's leash is being just as inconsiderate as the public smoker, the conspicous resource consumer, and rude trail user. You are the "assumes everyone loves my dog to" trail user.

I am an on and off peak trail user and will narc on you.
    I told you you would be gunned for.

I have to say the dog parks here are awful, full of the people who don't properly exercise their dogs, who don't pick up after their dogs, and have no idea how to own/live/control a dog. They are covered in shi't and ill behaved owners and dogs. IMO.

OP. . . your dog may be good off leash in general, but you on a bike is different. Said dog needs to get used to you on the bike and staying with you and out of harms way.

Do not go to South Mountain. I can say from experience that the best two places to go are T100 super early and not on a weekend, or Hawes and the same time frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ha...

Guero says he's going to 'narc' on me... Why wouldn't I want to kick his ass?

Thanks, Truckee. Where are T100 and Hawes? What kind of trails are they?

President Skroob
    Jan 2006

So you would break another law instead of owning up to your original offense? Another holier than thou assumption.

mtbr member
    Ha...

Guero says he's going to 'narc' on me... Why wouldn't I want to kick his ass?

Thanks, Truckee. Where are T100 and Hawes? What kind of trails are they?
    Because for the most part we are civil. How old are you exactly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Telling on somebody is certainly civil, but it's not very mature...

I get the point, though; I won't take him to South Mountain. Other than the afformentioned trails, are there any trails around the East Valley?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No, I'd acknowledge my misdoing, but I'd be fairly upset with an adult male who lacks the testicular fortitude to politely confront me.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    No, I'd acknowledge my misdoing, but I'd be fairly upset with an adult male who lacks the testicular fortitude to politely confront me.
    What about the hiker who places large rocks along the trail? Should I not phone that one in? Aren't they breaking a rule also?

If you think it's ok to not phone in one rule then you should let them all slide. You aren't special. The rules work because we all have to live by them and they don't unduly discriminate.

If we all respected trail rules maybe we would all get along better when using them.

sprocket
    Telling on somebody is certainly civil, but it's not very mature...

I get the point, though; I won't take him to South Mountain. Other than the afformentioned trails, are there any trails around the East Valley?

It is the law to keep your dog on a leash in most public areas. To not do so is silly and immature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast