banned
    Jul 2013

Does Anyone Know If the Bike Skills Park Was Approved?

Today I went to the Sedona Chamber of Conference meeting where a presentation was being given on a future mountain bike skills park at the Posse Ground recreational location.

Doug Cobb gave a great presentation at the beginning of the meeting explaining why the Posse Ground location would be ideal for a new skills park. He answered all the city council concerns and afterwards local riders had three minutes to explain why they thought a new skills park would be a benefit to the Sedona community.

About ten people expressed why they thought the skills park would be a great addition to the Sedona recreational opportunities. The main thing that sold me was how a skills park can be a great place for kids as well as adults who want to share biking skills with younger riders.

There were a number of key people who spoke at the meeting. Two of the best speakers were Patrick Kell from IMBA, Jennifer Hesselhoff from the Sedona Chamber of Conference and the president of the homeowners association that is located across the road from the proposed park sit.

When the homeowner association president said the board of directors of the association were for the project I thought to myself, Doug Cobb is going to get the approval.

Unfortunately, I had a social engagement with friends I hadn't seen in 13 years and I had to leave the meeting before the City Council voted on the park approval. If the skills park approval didn't pass I will be amazed.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Apparently the skills park has been approved. I think it would be cool to get a video of the building process showing young kids being involved.

mtbr member
    I don't, but I'm assuming the delay in the announcement has something to do with the government shutdown.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I don't, but I'm assuming the delay in the announcement has something to do with the government shutdown.
    I may have, but at least progress is being made. It will be interesting where the private funding comes from to build the park. I think the city wants to see $30,000 in a pot before they commit city funds to the project.

Areas like Downieville get Ibis to donate a bike for a raffle that ultimately brings in about $15,000. Maybe IMBA could do a national raffle of a popular make and model of bike to help with the funding of the project.

Or maybe MTBR would allow a raffle to be posted on their website to get the word out on this worthy cause.

I heard from one source that corporate sponsors would line up to contribute if the park would contain their name.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    regardless of whether MTBR would allow any sort of raffle,, almost all payment processors (including paypal and credit cards) forbid the use of their service for raffle payments, as it is essentially unregulated gambling

mtbr member
    If you have a creative team to fundraise for a bike park, using the crowdsourcing concept may work in the community favor. Wasatch Indoor Bike Park - Help Us Build Our Dream! | Indiegogo
    Portland, Oregon has had a project for awhile.
    A crowdfunding test for Gateway Green bike park project | BikePortland.org
    My efforts of trying to use creative ways to fundraise for the bike park in Ft. Tuthill has been snuffed, so I have moved on to other projects.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.