banned
    Jul 2013

Do You Think the Sierra Club Members Will Vote for New Trails in Sedona?

Recently I was advised by one of the SMBC members that the Sierra Club had posted the Sedona RTCA Trails Planning Survey on their Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/scgrandcanyon ). It would be interesting to know how the Sierra Club members voted on their surveys, but I would venture to guess that it wasn't pro mountain biking. I would love to be wrong, but I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think about how they might vote.

So because of my concern about whether the Sierra Club members will be voting for new trails in Sedona, I am hoping those MTBR members who haven't filled out the survey ( SurveyMonkey - Powerful tool for creating web surveys. Online survey software made easy! ) yet will take the time to do so before the 8/24 deadline. The more positive the response towards future new trails and the adoption of popular sustainable user created trails, the better the chances that the FS will add those new trails to a system status if they have the money or volunteer help to do so.

Thank you in advance for completing the survey. Who do you think is causing more damage to the environment trail users or mother nature (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VD5GxluHN8

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post

Who do you think is causing more damage to the environment trail users or mother nature

I really hope you have a better argument than that.

Mother Nature does not cause damage, she creates change. The same change that shaped the landscape around Sedrama.

Shovel Ready
    MTBR/Arizona really needs a sub category for all these repeated Sedrama posts.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    MTBR/Arizona really needs a sub category for all these repeated Sedrama posts.
    Really? 5 Sedona threads out of 100 on the first page or 5%. You could perhaps refrain from clicking on them but it's impossible for you resist.

Thanks for keeping the pedal to the medal RGMntbiker. The Sierra Club is the devil, whether it's in Sedona or Cycle64 favorite trails.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The Sierra Club is the devil, whether it's in Sedona or Cycle64 favorite trails.
    ROTFLMAO!
    thanks again for the Flag beta Rockman, we had a good trip but it was all-kids all-day.

mtbr member
    ren·e·gade /ˈreniˌgād/ Noun: A person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.
    Adjective: Having treacherously changed allegiance.
    Synonyms: noun- turncoat - apostate - recreant - traitor
    adjective: recreant - apostate

You may the most responsible trail user on the planet, but your handle suggests otherwise. I'd say it pretty much matches the image that the average Sierra Club member envisions when they thinks of mtb riders: dangerous shredder who puts their own thrill-seeking pursuits ahead of all other concerns. Call yourself what you will, but if you want people on the other side to listen to you, they may judge you before you even open your mouth. BTW I enjoy mtb and hiking and strongly favor opening more trails in Sedona, portions of the PCT, and certain wilderness areas to mtb. Whether I'm on the bike or on foot, I don't enjoy sharing trails with irresponsible mtb riders.
    The older I get the better I was...

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Really? 5 Sedona threads out of 100 on the first page or 5%. You could perhaps refrain from clicking on them but it's impossible for you resist.

Thanks for keeping the pedal to the medal RGMntbiker. The Sierra Club is the devil, whether it's in Sedona or Cycle64 favorite trails.
    It's an opinion, just like you have yours.

And yes, when a thread is the same BS over and over again, it gets old for some of us. Specifically when it seems only one side of the story gets to page.

For the record, I have never been a fan of the Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    It's an opinion, just like you have yours.

And yes, when a thread is the same BS over and over again, it gets old for some of us. Specifically when it seems only one side of the story gets to page.

For the record, I have never been a fan of the Sierra Club.
    Actually, this post was not "the same BS over and over again." It was a call to arms to ask MTBers to participate. Unless I missed this--and to be honest, I've been avoiding MTBR--this is the first time I've seen this survey posted.

Thanks OP. I'll be filling this out later today.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    dangerous shredder who puts their own thrill-seeking pursuits ahead of all other concerns.
    CURSE YOU, DANGEROUS SHREDDERS!!!!!

2013_0804_Flagstaff_19_blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    CURSE YOU, DANGEROUS SHREDDERS!!!!!

2013_0804_Flagstaff_19_blog
    Dude, how the f can we take you seriously when your handle more or less means cactus testicle?

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Actually, this post was not "the same BS over and over again." It was a call to arms to ask MTBers to participate. Unless I missed this--and to be honest, I've been avoiding MTBR--this is the first time I've seen this survey posted.

Thanks OP. I'll be filling this out later today.
    Survey was posted in another thread.

mtbr member
    Survey was posted in another thread.
    Okay. I missed it. There are 95% more interesting post on MTBR IMO. That one about the Slow and Old Group is interesting as phuck!

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Okay. I missed it. There are 95% more interesting post on MTBR IMO. That one about the Slow and Old Group is interesting as phuck!
    No way, they are not SS Spandex riders. At least they have one thread and not 2500.

My other ride is your mom
    Completed the survey...thanks for the awareness.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Completed the survey...thanks for the awareness.
    Mad:

Thanks for doing the survey. Yes this post is a call to arms for those MTB'ers that understand the significance of the survey results. The FS is telling us that the trails planning process in Sedona won't be addressed for at least another ten years if not fifteen or twenty. So the importance of the answers to the questions is significant.

At the last RTCA Trail Planning meeting the attendees gave answers to the significant survey questions. From the meeting results it was obvious the attending mountain bikers were for new trails, adopting sustainable user built trails and volunteer trail maintenance.

The hikers were for the education of MTB'ers to be courteous to them and less trails for mountain bikers.

The equestrians wanted larger parking lots and MTB'ers to be safe when they approach them. Since they can ride off trail (cross country) they weren't concerned too much about new trails. The survey asked some interesting questions about the type of trails equestrians might be looking for. Are current day equestrians looking for 15 mile extreme trails? That's 30 miles round trip.

What do think the Sierra Club members want? Thanks again to those who have voted and those who will be voting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    ROTFLMAO!
    thanks again for the Flag beta Rockman, we had a good trip but it was all-kids all-day.
    ROTFFNAR for me last weekend.
    But looks like an awesome time in the Bracken. Moving day is over so next time let's ride. Hijack over.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    ren·e·gade /ˈreniˌgād/ Noun: A person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.
    Adjective: Having treacherously changed allegiance.
    Synonyms: noun- turncoat - apostate - recreant - traitor
    adjective: recreant - apostate

You may the most responsible trail user on the planet, but your handle suggests otherwise. I'd say it pretty much matches the image that the average Sierra Club member envisions when they thinks of mtb riders: dangerous shredder who puts their own thrill-seeking pursuits ahead of all other concerns. Call yourself what you will, but if you want people on the other side to listen to you, they may judge you before you even open your mouth. BTW I enjoy mtb and hiking and strongly favor opening more trails in Sedona, portions of the PCT, and certain wilderness areas to mtb. Whether I'm on the bike or on foot, I don't enjoy sharing trails with irresponsible mtb riders.
    The fact that you used bike and hiking in the same sentence I see you are not a real mountain biker. Here in BC we welcome hikers on the mountain bike trails but they are in places more dangerous to hike that to ride. The Sierra Club is financed by the Tides Foundation a influence peddling group of big business. Bent on stopping pipelines and the like.

mtbr member

Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by dorse View Post
    The fact that you used bike and hiking in the same sentence I see you are not a real mountain biker. Here in BC we welcome hikers on the mountain bike trails but they are in places more dangerous to hike that to ride. The Sierra Club is financed by the Tides Foundation a influence peddling group of big business. Bent on stopping pipelines and the like.
    I don't want to fuel an online feud. If you check my previous posts you'll see that I'm not a bomb thrower and typically weigh in to bring groups together rather than argue and sow division.

I'm not sure what a real mountain biker is, but you seem to know and it would be interesting to have you define it for me. I bought my first mtb in 1982 and have had more than dozen since, on which i've logged tens of thousands of trail miles. Also been hiking and backpacking since the 60s. Many, many people enjoy both hiking and mtb. Does the fact that you apparently don't know any of those people make you a real mountain biker? In your post you imply that hiking and the Sierra Club are synonymous. I've never been a Sierra Club member, but I occasionally support their efforts when they aren't trying to lock up wild areas for an elite user group. Except in bike specific areas (parks, etc.), I think real mountain bikers ought to encourage multiple use trails that include mtb riders. To make that work, mtb riders have to accept the need to ride responsibly and share the trails.

In my post, my point (a narrow one) was that labeling oneself a renegade mtb rider creates the image of an outlaw, which only increases that chance that mtb's will be outlawed in more areas.

If you have time, please define real mountain biker for me, I'd really like to know what that is. I'll wager your definition excludes 70 percent of the mtb community. Cheers man, and try to unite, not divide. More winners equal more wins. vb
    Last edited by veloborealis; 08-09-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typos

banned
    Jul 2013
    I don't want to fuel an online feud. If you check my previous posts you'll see that I'm not a bomb thrower and typically weigh in to bring groups together rather than argue and sow division.

I'm not sure what a real mountain biker is, but you seem to know and it would be interesting to have you define it for me. I bought my first mtb in 1982 and have had more than dozen since, on which i've logged tens of thousands of trail miles. Also been hiking and backpacking since the 60s. Many, many people enjoy both hiking and mtb. Does the fact that you apparently don't know any of those people make you a real mountain biker? In your post you imply that hiking and the Sierra Club are synonymous. I've never been a Sierra Club member, but I occasionally support their efforts when they aren't trying to lock up wild areas for an elite user group. Except in bike specific areas (parks, etc.), I think real mountain bikers ought to encourage multiple use trails that include mtb riders. To make that work, mtb riders have to accept the need to ride responsibly and share the trails.

In my post, my point (a narrow one) was that labeling oneself a renegade mtb rider creates the image of an outlaw, which only increases that chance that mtb's will be outlawed in more areas.

If you have time, please define real mountain biker for me, I'd really like to know what that is. I'll wager your definition excludes 70 percent of the mtb community. Cheers man, and try to unite, not divide. More winners equal more wins. vb
    vb:

What the intent of this post is to inform MTB'ers that the Sierra Club has posted the Red Rock Ranger Trails Planning Survey on one of their members Facebook page. Since that is the case I am trying to motivate the MTBR mountain bike community to complete the survey in a way that lets the FS know that the mountain bike community would like there to be more new system trails in the Sedona area.

If you can help with that effort in some meaningful way that would be greatly appreciated. I hope that gives you a better understanding of what some of us passionate mountain bikers are trying to accomplish.

I would define a mountain biker as someone who enjoys riding his bike off road either by himself or with a group of friends. I am courteous to hikers and equestrians love to see them on the trails I ride, but there is a group of
    Sierra Club members that don't want me to have any new trails because they think my friends and I are destroying the earth. They are entitled to their opinion and it is pointless to try and change their mind.

My hope is to neutralize their vote against new mountain biking trails by getting MTBR viewers to cast their votes in favor of new mountain bike trails. My feeling is that if all the Sierra Club members were mountain bikers they might have a better view of the sport and would vote for new sustainable trails.

Could you please help with getting your mountain biking friends to complete the survey, I would certainly appreciate it?

mtbr member

Survey complete

[/QUOTE] Could you please help with getting your mountain biking friends to complete the survey, I would certainly appreciate it?[/QUOTE]

FWIW Used to live in Preskitt Valley and continue to follow RRRD issues with interest. I support expanding mtb access in the Sedona area and completed the survey awhile back. Unfortunately, mtb is already associated with renegade bikers in the minds of many due to negative experiences and a significant amount of the opposition we face is a result of this. I'm courteous to other trail users because I don't want people to view us as an irritant or menace; sounds like you feel the same way. That's great, but if you're trying to be an ambassador (RIP traildoc) for the sport, consider changing your handle. Words/images matter. For the record, I've encountered many more courteous mtb riders (hikers and equestrians, too, for that matter) than a--holes, but it's the negative encounters that leave lasting impressions. Even more so, I'll wager, for people who don't ride mtb and don't appreciate what a great sport it is. Sorry for taking your thread on a short detour, and thanks for steering it back on track.