Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Do You Remember Your First Bike Ride???????

Do you remember approximately how old you were when you had your first bike ride w/o training wheels?

My other ride is your mom
    I was 6.....the neighbors were helping me along after the training wheels came off...It was in our cul-de-sac in N. Phx.....black asphalt in the summer....I was terrified of falling and burning myself on the hardball...so the neighbor told me not to fall as he pushed me forward and let go of the seat.....at first I did not know I was going all by myself.....but pedaled out of fear.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Do you remember approximately how old you were when you had your first bike ride w/o training wheels?
    Absolutely. I was 6-7, living in Tucson. It was a lime green Huffy, with a white banana seat. It was in front of our house, which was at the top of a what to mean seemed like a very, very steep hill. I remember I could feel him taking his hand off the back of the seat.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    I also started around 5 and it was in front of my house fortunately on a very flat paved road. I also remember the first bike I purchased with my paper route money. It was a ten speed Bianchi and it cost $70 (can that be?) around 1963..

mtbr member
    Yup. In 1966 on our farm in Massachusetts.

The bike was a rusty old girl's coaster bike. I kept crashing on it riding down the hill on our gravel driveway until I "got it" and took off.

My first nice bike was a "Robin Hood" English three speed which I got for 42.95 in 1967. My dad kicked in 40 bucks and I had to pay the rest.

The bike was just like the one in the picture below but red.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/robinhood.html
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i forget how old i was but i remember the day my father took off the training wheels and ran along with me and gave me that push and confidence that i could do it. i just remember him saying keep pedaling keep pedaling!!!!! you got it!!!
    i kept pedaling and kept going but didn't have the confidence to turn around and come back so i crashed onto the neighbors lawn. what a great day.

banned
    Since it has been over 55 years since I learned to ride a bike I wonder if there are new technics that are used to teach people to ride w/o training wheels.

As people get older is the learning curve shorter?

Not at the table,Carlos!
    No.

dirt visionary
    yup first time no training wheels ended in a nice straight downhill run for about 30 seconds before I slammed into a parked car. the rest is history
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I too was 5. I never got the advantage of training wheels. I learned to ride on something green and too big for me. Dad told me one day that I was going to learn how to ride a bike so I got dressed in my toughskins and a long sleeve shirt. At the end of our chipsealed street was a bunch of loose 1/2" rock leftover from the chipsealing, and that was my "runaway truck ramp". Sometime that day I learned how to ride a bike.

FYI toughskins are no match for a chipsealed road, but do make cool blue scabs.

mtbr member
    Since it has been over 55 years since I learned to ride a bike I wonder if there are new technics that are used to teach people to ride w/o training wheels.

As people get older is the learning curve shorter?
    My six year old twin girls ran training wheels for about a year. I tried once to take them off after about 6 months and they both failed miserably. 6 months later one said she was ready to take them off, it took her 3 trips up and down the cul-de-sac before I gave her the old "I promise I won't let go" story, and did anyway. She did great. When the other one saw her sister without training wheels it took her 5 laps with the same lie and same results.

Although it's something all dads do (or should), I'll never forget how proud I was of them, or the look on their faces when they realized they were doing it themselves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In the park with mom and dad on the bike path. Dad let go and I peddled myself straight into a face of grass. Ofcourse mom ran to pick me up but dad stopped her and helped me back onto my bike. Don't remember what kind of bike it was or how old I was but I'll never forget that day. Thanks for posting and for the memories.

mtbr member
    No training wheels, but it was a three wheeler, and I was 4. Rode it down a steep hill, and I was going so fast my foot came off the pedal...i wasn't clipped in! Put a big gash in my shin. I still have the scar and sometimes I point to it, and say to my friends, "bike accident"!!!

banned
    Thank you all for responding to my post. As most of you know the memories of our rides and the people we meet are pretty special. None of us knew that the first ride was only a prelude to many more special rides in the future.

Those of us who have enjoyed the sport of biking are pretty darn lucky. It would be nice if it would be easy to give less fortunate kids (who don't have parents or relatives) a chance to learn how to ride, so they might roll into a future of great experiences and new friendships.

mtbr member
    About 6 yo and it was on a small green bike with solid rubber tires. Later those tires made for great skid marks on the sidewalks.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    You bet, on my 6th birthday my dad gave my tricycle to my little sister and got me this really old beater of a bike, it was a CCM with a banana seat and I remember it was gold colored and weighed about 3000 pounds

The school was just down the block and beside the school was this big park, there used to be a road that ran between the school and the park, but they closed it off at both ends, so I had a two lane road, that was quite long to use. My dad did not believe in training wheels, so I put on some jeans, and a long sleeved shirt and had at it. Seemed like all day I was falling down, falling down, falling down, but my dad just kept picking me up and urging me on, "Pedal, Pedal, PEDAL!!!" he yelled at me

Then that magical moment, and it was like I was flying

After that we got rid of the gold bomb, and I got a hand me down CCM from my older brother, it was a purple bike with a white banana seat and a long sissy bar at the back.

Later I got a Harrier 5 speed bike, that bike and I went all over the place, and I wore that thing out, good bike, cost a bit too, but it lasted a long time.

Cheers!

Somewhere I have video of my daughters learning how to ride their bicycles....
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    next thread needs to be about everyone's first major crash...

Plasko
    Its only been about 8 months since my first ride, so the memory is still pretty fresh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    next thread needs to be about everyone's first major crash...
    I think that happened on the same day as my first ride
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

Meatbomb
    I'm suppose to take the training wheels off ?

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I must have been about 4 and we were at my grandad's house back in Ohio. I wanted the training wheels off so dad obliged and gave me a little push and off I went. How many circles I did in that driveway I don't know. It as on one of those little bmx bikes with the full rubber tires. I thought it was incredibly awesome. The great thing is that I still get that feeling when I throw my leg over a bike. It still feels like I'm flying! Ah, bikes, what would I do without you?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Flaccid Member
    Very much remember it. Hot summer Saturday, I was 4 years old, ready to start kindergarten. Rode 40 yards down the street, 40 yards up the street, and was so excited I made a u turn onto the concrete sidewalk in front of our house, and proceeded to ride down it in front of the neighbors house, who's new sprinkler system was spraying the whole sidewalk. This was circa 1963... the sprinklers felt so cool and refreshing in the blazing August summer heat of the San Fernando Valley, I slowed down to enjoy it longer, and promptly lost my balance and fell into the fertilizer and ********e of their stringed off, newly seeded lawn. Back then, sod farms were unheard of. From that point on, I knew I was forever a dirt bike rider!

I've never got bent out of shape about road apples or cow pies on trails, we used to flip them sideways off the trail doing tailwhips at them, hopefully covering our buddies, who didn't see them up ahead. I still don't get bent about it, horse poops are targets of opportunity to be savored.

Gee, I wonder where you got the idea to ask this question?
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 07-24-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    My six year old twin girls ran training wheels for about a year. I tried once to take them off after about 6 months and they both failed miserably. 6 months later one said she was ready to take them off, it took her 3 trips up and down the cul-de-sac before I gave her the old "I promise I won't let go" story, and did anyway. She did great. When the other one saw her sister without training wheels it took her 5 laps with the same lie and same results.

Although it's something all dads do (or should), I'll never forget how proud I was of them, or the look on their faces when they realized they were doing it themselves.
    that's a great moment.

just 1 more
    I was 5 and there were no training wheels. Learned to ride the day I got the bike. It was 1962 and I still have that bike.

mtbr member
    It was a hot July day, about 2 weeks ago. Latedrop and ABCNorte said "Don't worry buddy, you're gonna do just fine" as they pushed me passed the bench on Geronimo. I was clipped in to my hardtail "Sun City" style three wheeler, with a Fox 40, and sportin' Reeboks, parachute pants, and a half shirt, with a bandana on, of couse. Oh, the memories.......
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast