mtbr member

Do you pick your boogers? (tubeless question)

Sometimes I over think things, and this may very well be one of those cases:
    I've recently bent a spoke, so I took my tire off the rim to Have it fixed. When I did, I saw, my homebrew was had totally dried up. There is a real nice coat of it on just about every square inch of my tire.
    This is where the inexperience/over thinking comes in.

One one hand I think to leave the dried sealant because it is plugging whatever holes ive gotten over the past months, and if I remove it all, the new sealant will have to reseal all of them.
    On the other hand, I think the old sealant will act like a catalyst to make the new sealant dry up much quicker, form boogers and not seal, so I should take it out.

Thoughts?

I should add that I have pulled out the big free rolling boogers and all the stringy stuff from around the bead.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

My other ride is your mom
    I always remove the boogers...I don't bother scraping out the deposits since if it gets to that point, I'm usually replacing the tire anyways.

Meatbomb
    keep the old stuff in.

How much further ???
    I personally scrape all of it out. Its a mess and takes a bit more time but I try to get as much of the old stuff out realizing I wont get it all. I definetly make sure the bead is clear of gunk and wiped clean.

So yes I guess I do pick my boogers.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Vincit qui patitur
    I don't get boogers anymore. I use Orange Seal.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Shovel Ready
    Yes and flick them at SS 29'ers.

mtbr member
    After the tube sitting in the garage for a day, the tire looks much different, all of the residual liquid has totally dried out, and doesn't look nearly as problematic. it seems like over kill to try to peel it all out. I'm just going to clean the bead area real well.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I don't get boogers anymore. I use Orange Seal.
    I have been thinking of switching over, but I was not aware that Orange Seal did not bugger up... Is this really true? Aren't they all latex based and will eventually the water part will evaporate and the latex will turn into a bugger?

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I have been thinking of switching over, but I was not aware that Orange Seal did not bugger up... Is this really true? Aren't they all latex based and will eventually the water part will evaporate and the latex will turn into a bugger?
    I talked to them and saw tire cutaways at Sea Otter.
    It seems to just coat the entire inside of the tire.
    Just have to add 1-2 ounces per month.
    I have no problems yet.
    BTW when/if you change I recommend cleaning the whole rim and replacing stem and tape.
    Also if you use the same tire clean it well too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I talked to them and saw tire cutaways at Sea Otter.
    It seems to just coat the entire inside of the tire.
    Just have to add 1-2 ounces per month.
    I have no problems yet.
    BTW when/if you change I recommend cleaning the whole rim and replacing stem and tape.
    Also if you use the same tire clean it well too.
    Thanks, will do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Different question: I am running tubeless for maybe 2 weeks now and I do hear something rolling in my front tire (which was not there before). Its definitely no liquid but could very well be a rubber booger based on the sound. After 2 weeks? Do I have to remove it or is it ok to leave it inside. I have inspected the tire from the outside and there is at least no major cut etc.

No Clue Crew
    I leave the "coating" of sealant on the tire and clean the bead of both tire & rim.

mtbr member
    Call me an over-thinking weight weenie. I wire brush the old out. That being said, I seldom remove a tire without just replacing it. There is no worse place to put needless weight on your bike, and no worse place in the tire than where the latex dries. Don't know what it weighs but it weighs more than not being there.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Ahhh the pain....
    I just happened to pull off a tire that I'd put on about a month ago(it was used then). I had actually noted the weight of it back then. When I weighed it this time(w a good coating of Stan's in it, it was about 70 grams heavier.
    So I say, if you're buying tires to save a few grams, might want to clean out the tire...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    Yeah, more of an issue w a front tire since it lasts so long. Rears wear out fast enough I rarely have to add sealant after the initial install.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I have a tire off I pull all the junk off the bead. Usually wash it in the shop sink with a light scrub of fine Scotchbrite, or an old rag. If there is a racing stripe of semi-dried sealant in the middle of the tire I take it out. Thought process is that it isn't fluid enough to seal but in the way enough to keep the fresh sealant from reaching a new puncture - seems to work for me. If I find one of the cool sealant nodules rolling around in the tire I just use it to throw at someone around work and watch them try to figure out what it is.

Got a suspension fork
    My sealant doesn't leave boogers like Stan's, so I'm forced to pick the real deal.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Randy, so what do you use? Home brew?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by az3075 View Post
    Randy, so what do you use? Home brew?
    I've used Caffelatex for a long time, it's worked great for me but it super hard to get off your bike if it catches some spray.

I was just about out of my stock and took Shiggy's recommendation and just bought some Slime Pro.

mtbr member
    I didn't have any luck with Slime Pro. Hopefully your results are different

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    I didn't have any luck with Slime Pro. Hopefully your results are different

Steve, what about it didn't work well for you, did not seal properly? Or something else. Thank you.

mtbr member
    the tire would seat and hold air and lasted longer in the tires than Stan's, but it was ineffective at sealing punctures. i gave up on it coming down national one night when i got a tiny hole. I ended up having to pump-ride for 5 min-pump to get back to the car.
    been back to Stan's since

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    the tire would seat and hold air and lasted longer in the tires than Stan's, but it was ineffective at sealing punctures. i gave up on it coming down national one night when i got a tiny hole. I ended up having to pump-ride for 5 min-pump to get back to the car.
    been back to Stan's since
    Thanks for the input, I'll be giving it a try fairly soon, will report back how it goes.

Ahhh the pain....
    The whole drying out thing is funny to me...I mean, you WANT the stuff to dry when it hits air...that's one of the mechanisms that it uses to plug holes. So those other products that "don't dry up so quick" aren't very attractive to me unless there's some data or experience that they work in our environment of cactus needs and sidewall slices.
    I'm sure there are better products than Stans, but being the guinea pig and trying out other solutions might mean some long walks or having to resort to my tube. So I'm sticking with what I know for now, maybe experiment with some homebrew if I get motivated.