banned

Do You Know Which Sedona Trail This Is???????

After today's local group Sunday Sedona ride several of us stopped at one of the rider's house to indulge in a cool adult beverage. While we were sipping on our brews, the owner of the house brought out his new BIKE magazine and turned to the Over the Edge advertizement and asked "what trail is this". Well that started an interesting discussion due to the terrain in the background being somewhat unique.

I would imagine Rockman can figure it out, but myself and my other fellow riders are stumped at this point. Does anyone have a clue? Maybe those Pink Jeep drivers who are driving all over the place and know the geology pretty well can come up with the answer.

Maybe the negative was reversed, was it photoshoped?

I was going to call up the boys at OTE, but that would be cheating.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Know Which Sedona Trail This Is???????-005.jpg  

Do You Know Which Sedona Trail This Is???????-004.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 07-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Give it a crank
    That's coming down Highline. Here's a shot taken from a bit higher up the trail.

Huffy Rider
    I say Highline as well, I think I even have a pic from the same corner, but going the other way.

banned
    Wow, I think you are right. Your picture doesn't show the hump (which must be behind Couthouse from the angle of your picture) in the back ground and Bell Rock wasn't so obvious.

Thanks,

TD

mtbr member
    And with the obligatory exagerated bike lean. Good luck OTE.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    And with the obligatory exagerated bike lean. Good luck OTE.
    Rock:

Take a look at my video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3n6Q3__iyc) at the 3:07 spot. It seems Highline is too far north to have gotten the Bike picture. I wonder if it was on that other trail south of Highline that hooks into Highline, which comes off Made in the Shade?

TD

Give it a crank
    I think the spot didn't make it into the video, it's gotta be this turn on Highline in your map:

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think it's highline, but, it's 2 images merged. That exact image probably doesn't exist! Cool shot tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    I think it's highline, but, it's 2 images merged. That exact image probably doesn't exist! Cool shot tho.
    I'm starting to think this might be the case as well. Behind Bell Rock is Horse Mesa which is on the other side of the Oak Creek fault (ie., Jack's Canyon). But in the OTE pic there is a mtn on the horizon which doesn't show up on doc's vid from any angle and it's not in mtn-rider's pic either. Presumably it's Apache Maid Mtn on the other side of I17.

red rock roller
    Mar 2011
    The photo is not possible as there is no section of trail that has left exposure while offering the Bell Rock Courthouse Butte background, the photo would have to have been taken on Cathedral Rock but that would put Bell/Courthouse to far in the distant background.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    After today's local group Sunday Sedona ride several of us stopped at one of the rider's house to indulge in a cool adult beverage. While we were sipping on our brews, the owner of the house brought out his new BIKE magazine and turned to the Over the Edge advertizement and asked "what trail is this". Well that started an interesting discussion due to the terrain in the background being somewhat unique.

I would imagine Rockman can figure it out, but myself and my other fellow riders are stumped at this point. Does anyone have a clue? Maybe those Pink Jeep drivers who are driving all over the place and know the geology pretty well can come up with the answer.

Maybe the negative was reversed, was it photoshoped?

I was going to call up the boys at OTE, but that would be cheating.

TD
    Porcupine Rim in Moab?
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Its totally photoshopped...at least they did better than Mickelbob Ultra ad with Lance...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Jun 2011
    Absolutely Photoshoped

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That's George Ryan and Jeff Lenosky. I believe the shot was taken on Highline, riding south. I do believe Photoshop was involved as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's upper made in the shade. The high mountain in the back ground is there. You can easily see the hill from the Bean above the burned Jack's Canyon ridge line.
    The ridge is the big hill on the left when coming down 17 from Flagstaff.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd View Post
    It's upper made in the shade. The high mountain in the back ground is there. You can easily see the hill from the Bean above the burned Jack's Canyon ridge line.
    The ridge is the big hill on the left when coming down 17 from Flagstaff.
    Do you call Upper Made in the Shade the trail that comes off the highpoint of Made in the Shade and takes you over to Highline at the short steep up spot in the wash before the sharp right hand turn?

TD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I was wrong...

It's highline. Just as you are heading down into the last wash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Know Which Sedona Trail This Is???????-img_0849.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Do you call Upper Made in the Shade the trail that comes off the highpoint of Made in the Shade and takes you over to Highline at the short steep up spot in the wash before the sharp right hand turn?

TD
    From the Agave up and to the left. It eventually intersects with Slim to the left.
    Or you continue past slim intersection, straight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd View Post
    It's highline. Just as you are heading down into the last wash.
    Nice sleuthing. There's no photoshop controversy afterall. I took the liberty of cropping your photo match to a similar size as the Bike Mag shot. Not quite the same angle but you pinned it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Know Which Sedona Trail This Is???????-ote.jpg  

pedaller
    Slightly different angle and the OTE shot is zoomed more but that is it.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Give it a crank
    Cool, mystery solved, and with photo proof!

Eroding into the trail
    mtbr sleuths in action!

banned
    Anyway of showing me on my map where that point is. The last wash thing throws me.

Thanks for solving the mystery I was hoping Ranger Tuna may have been up there and could have scored a home run on this one. I know he has a camera along. I would sure like to ride Highline with him. And if we could get a video of him it would be a great promotional piece.

TD

banned

Stopped By the Old Mt. Bike Heaven Locaton Today

On my way to the hardware store to by some sewer cleaner, I stopped by the old Mt. Bike Heaven location and met the new Over the Edge owner Mike. Rama had moved out Sunday and Mike was already there with his crew doing some additional clean-up before remodeling the shop. .

Not sure if there will be any layout changes, but I am sure the inside look will change for the better. Troy was also there helping with the clean-up.

At this point the plan is to be officially open by Sept.1st. I personally think there timing is perfect to be ready for the fall period when other parts of the country are shutting down their mountain biking and Sedona is cooling down to where you can ride all day long.

We got some rain last night and today so trail conditions ought to be perfect the next couple days for sure.

TD