Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2013

Do You Feel Sorry For MTB Tourists Visiting When Its Raining Cats and Dogs

Today while I was driving around the city I live I noticed a bunch unfamiliar cars with mountain bikes on them. When I looked at the license plates I noticed they were from out of state and out of country. I felt sorry for these riders who probably had no clue where to ride during these rainy periods.

Some were parked at a local sporting goods store others were hanging out at the local shops praying for clearing skies

In the old days you could wait two hours after the rain stopped and have a really fun ride watching the skies clear and the local vegetation growing an inch a day.

Now days those rain proof trails have diminished significantly, so you really have to know where to ride to get your ride fix for the day.

You have to wonder how trails that are weather proof need to be kept from visitors because they are considered to POSSIBLY be large contributors of soil erosion or to have POSSIBLY been routed through Native American campsites or something more important.

In the old days I would show them a great ride and make their vacation a little more memorable. These days that is more difficult to do, so is the closure working, some say yes others say no.
    Last edited by RenegadeMtnBiker; 09-09-2013 at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Doc, is that you?

Pivotal figure
    ^Yes!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    TrailDoc is back, and he's telling us yet again how great he is.

I feel privileged.

Meatbomb
    What a country

How much further ???
    Its hard to keep a good narcissist down.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Actually I thought last night (and late afternoon) was the first rideable weather we have in the valley (phoenix area) in a very long time... I took full advantage... And the sunset wasn't too shabby either...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I was actually planning on going up to Flag today to do a good 17-20 miler. The weather conditions today have changed my mind....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    I was actually planning on going up to Flag today to do a good 17-20 miler. The weather conditions today have changed my mind....
    It's raining hard in Flag atm. Should be clearing up after tomorrow.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Actually I thought last night (and late afternoon) was the first rideable weather we have in the valley (phoenix area) in a very long time... I took full advantage... And the sunset wasn't too shabby either...
    I was out both Sat and Sun mornings. I like to ride in the rain. Shower cap on the helmet makes a big difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We can't control the weather, it is what ever it is.

Things look to be drying up by mid week. I'm ready for a little indian summer action now.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i just played an exciting game of 'follow that wash' up the hill behind my house,, when i came back down it was roaring.
    kudos to the mesa brainchild that sent out the streetsweepers at 6am before a big dumping storm mucks everything over

mtbr member
    Great Scott!!! Doc has returned from his months-long exile in his reincarnated form as RenegadeMtnBiker!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    It's rainy as hell up here. Friday night, most of Sat, almost all of Sunday, and it hasn't quit yet today. I'm looking at it as recovery days and I guess I'll hit the kettlebells today to have something to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Doc, is that you?
    No. He used "tourist" instead of "touron". It's a TD wannabe.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

livin' the dream......
    I don't think it is TD either. He did not insert 'world class' anywhere into his commentary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I don't think it is TD either. He did not insert 'world class' anywhere into his commentary.
    I don't think so either but I bet it is a long time Sedona rider that gives a damn about how things are going. I hope who ever renegade rider is that they spark some awareness to how things are really happening in the red rock riding country as long as he/she doesn't go overboard the way TD did actually creating more harm than good. What a country!

AZ
    banned
    Nor "masses". Enjoying the rain, nice for a change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Nor "masses". Enjoying the rain, nice for a change.
    Me too. Having this much rain is a nice change and it shows us what trails/sections are actually sustainable to heavy precip.

mtbr member
    I think it is TD and he's just trying to create a new online persona...

Either way the rain is nice and if we have a couple days a year where people can't find a good ride, it's okay...I mean, it's not like we have the same riding season as Telluride...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I think it is TD and he's just trying to create a new online persona....
    It's part of the plan that we never understood.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Having five or six trails that can be ridden within a short time period after heavy rains is a good thing in my opinion especially if you have traveled a long distance to ride in a particular area and there is no other area close by that can offer good trail conditions.

I just want to let tourists know that there are trails out there that are super tacky after rainy periods it just takes finding a knowledgeable local to help you out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    Having five or six trails that can be ridden within a short time period after heavy rains is a good thing in my opinion especially if you have traveled a long distance to ride in a particular area and there is no other area close by that can offer good trail conditions.

I just want to let tourists know that there are trails out there that are super tacky after rainy periods it just takes finding a knowledgeable local to help you out.
    Well, steer them over to Christmas Tree Wash. That's a killer ride. Unfortunately, the best area to ride after a period of wet weather is now closed. The south-facing Carrol Canyon area and trails like Under the Radar and Sketch were go-to trails for me. Slim Shady and Llama not so much (at least in the winter).
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Shovel Ready
    So this is another Sedona thread! As one can pretty much ride all of South Mountain after or while it is raining. Same for the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    So this is another Sedona thread! As one can pretty much ride all of South Mountain after or while it is raining. Same for the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.
    Strictly soil type allows such irresponsible behavior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast