banned

Do You Expect Me To Build the Trails For You to Ride?

My wife just got this notice from IMBA. As our government is going broke IMBA realizes they need to obtain funds form the mountain biking community to maintain and build new trails. Since most users don't build new trails it is up to those of you who choose to not help to either contribute or just ride the trails you have been riding for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Expect Me To Build the Trails For You to Ride?-imba-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    TD, are you going to help us build more BCT this year? The grant money per volunteer goes back into the system. It's getting cooler and it's going to be a great build season.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't mind a nominal use fee. That's pretty much the only fair way to fund things like trails, roads, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    "and when you ask them how much should we give. They only answer more more more."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The point is the trails don't build themselves, it requires money and people to make it happen. You provide labor and others need to provide money as they can afford or want to give.

I would much rather give money to build multi-use trails than give it to either of our political parties that are generally looking after their best interests and power and don't really care what we think unless it means they will be voted out of office.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Its a crap shoot...fork out to build new trails, then a builder pays .gov MORE money to build houses...lose trail system...meh.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    TD, are you going to help us build more BCT this year? The grant money per volunteer goes back into the system. It's getting cooler and it's going to be a great build season.
    AKA:

I have no idea what is in store for me after my six month ban is up. My hope would be to be on a volunteer crew in Sedona doing maintenance work on adopted user built trails. My motivation to do trail work comes from trying to prove to the FS that users can maintain the trails that mountain bikers originally built.

I have no real motivation to do maintenance work on system trails that were built years ago for wagons and horses.

Now that I am 3 1/2 months into my mountain biking trip I have witnessed a lot of poorly constructed trails that were built by clueless trail builders, and when I compare those poorly constructed trails to what we have going on in Sedona I believe our trails are far more sustainable. So I would like to be able to prove to the FS that their fear of increased taxpayer maintenance costs due to adopting user built trails can be offset by users being able to adopt certain trails they have an interest in keeping maintained.

The FS is able to grasp this concept in other parts of the county, so why not Sedona? The answer to that question would take a whole other thread.

If the FS can't allow me to maintain adopted user built trails I will just spend more time showing riders our great trail system. I have met a number of people on this trip that I have offered to stay at my place in Sedona, so who knows if will even have time to work on FS volunteer maintenance projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do You Expect Me To Build the Trails For You to Ride?-eldora.jpg  

mtbr member
    Traildoc looks like a used car salesman. A sleazy one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post

I have no real motivation to do maintenance work on system trails that were built years ago for wagons and horses.
    Expand your horizons and forget about Sedona for a minute. Don't get caught up in proving the Sedona forest folks wrong. Who really cares in the end? The BCT trails were once for wagons but we have moved past that now. Think of how many smiles you could put on mtb riders faces and the user experience you could help provide on the BCT. It's not about Sedona, it's about biking in AZ.

banned
    Aka:

If I lived closer I might have come out to help, but the BCT is too far away. And to be honest the trail isn't my still of riding so I wouldn't enjoy myself as much as other projects I enjoy working on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Aka:

If I lived closer I might have come out to help, but the BCT is too far away. And to be honest the trail isn't my still of riding so I wouldn't enjoy myself as much as other projects I enjoy working on.
    Hhhm, interesting.

AKA, is there a website announcing trail work days?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Hhhm, interesting.

AKA, is there a website announcing trail work days?
    CO:

Time to man up and either get out and grab a pick or write a check. They need your help on the BCT. AKA, since I probably won't show up could I send a donation directly to help with the project?

When I use to do trail building projects like building the Aerie trail, I use to ask volunteers (helimech, Chalkpaw, tls, ect.) to come out and help out. I don't ever remember any money being used for the project, it was always done for free.

I am just curious,what do the BCT donations go for. On a typical work day of let's say 15 volunteers, how much is spent and what is it being spent on?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    CO, I don't see any dates yet but with the cooling temps the work days will be soon.

TD, you could email the BCT web master and I'm sure they could get you in touch with the folks who can accurately answer your questions about donations.

All the volunteer work is free. The Black Canyon Trail Coalition does provide to the volunteer builders several different types of tools, snacks for the day, drinks for the day, lunches, and really nice building gloves.

The coalition also provides a national forest employee and paid work crews (separate crews than volunteers).

Purely guessing, any donation would go to one or all of the above.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    44:

Great picture, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    little red hen... timless classic... never goes out of style..

Plus size jersey model
    I've just been hoping you would move to Tucson and start building us some trails. If not looks like we are gonna be stuck having them build trails for horses the rest of our lives.