Calmer than you are.

Do Not Park Here at Hawes!!

I rode Hawes today and parked on the West side of Power just north of the concrete plant.

As I was leaving out to ride some guys in a shiny Benz parked next to my truck. Nice guy, David, I didn't catch a last name, introduced himself and explained how he helped build the trails at Hawes before he moved away to Bend, OR. I thanked him for his efforts and left out.

Couple of hours later, as I finished the Ridge Trail and bailed at Power Rd. I saw a maroon 90s model Blazer with a black top, gun-it out of the parking area. I looked at the lot to see the Benz door open and the alarm going off. No real leap of logic to figure out what's going down, so I studied the plates as the guy drove by giving me the stink eye, pointing at me and screaming something unintelligible. At the bottom of the road where it curves to go East his brake lights lit up and he made a left. Now my next leap of logic. I dont know how many were in the truck (limo tint), or what substances may have been abused, or firearms available, and I am feeling lonesome all of a sudden.

I shagged a$$ to my truck, threw in my bike and grabbed my only means of protection, "The Club" security device. Meanwhile, I am trying to dial 911 to no avail as I have no signal. AACCKK! http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad2.gif I climbed the nearest high spot trying to get a signal and see charging across the desert in pale green Arab Chawjas, (read; green trucks) coming to my emotional and physical rescue were two forest service trucks with officers packing large caliber handguns. I flagged them down and explained what had happened and relayed the pertinent info needed to tag the perps. Apparently the Benz and all of it's Knight Rider technology had also called the police, who arrived mucho pronto.

I stayed around to provide my account and see if the collar was made, but no luck when I left the scene. As I was waiting I noticed several tell tale piles of green tempered auto glass in the lot. By the looks of things this is not an uncommon occurrence. The officer at the scene confirmed this and said that cars parked along Bush Hwy have also been hit. Secluded parking lot, no cell phone service, and a quick get-away route through the Rez to the Beeline Hwy has given these guys enough cajones to pull daytime jobs.

So to borrow a line from Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: Hey, let's be careful out there. ...
    Do not Park.jpg

Pivotal figure
    No surprise there, the losers have all the good spots staked out. 40th St (T-100) is another one you have to be careful in. BTW,for the smilie thing just type it in as it's shown
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dang, that's where I always park.

wretch
    40th T100. . . I've been parking there for a while now. The bad spot for T100 is the small Tatum lot. If 40th is bad Im gonna be pissed cause that leaves nothing else except for homosexual rendevous at DD.

Too bad about Hawes, we always park in the gated community. . .

pedaller
    I always park at Walgreens.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    I just parked there last Saturday morning. I hope to think that the activity on weekends would detour the robbers, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I always park at Walgreens.
    Walgreens has had their fair share of break-ins as well. I park right in front of the entrance, buy a drink, leave the receipt on the drivers seat, and go on my ride. A $2 gatorade is a fair price for a protected parking spot.

At least you were safe and they didn't come back. A club wielding man in colorful lyra...priceless.

Calmer than you are.
    [QUOTE=RogerDoger] A club wielding man in colorful lyra...priceless.

Your mom looks good in Lycra...

im4Gsus

simple strategy

bring/leave NOTHING of value in the car and you'll be ok.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=The Royal We]
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDoger
    A club wielding man in colorful lyra...priceless.

Your mom looks good in Lycra...
    lol, I wondered if the lycra comment would get some attention.

My mom is hawt.

I think I need to Upgrade
    [QUOTE=RogerDoger]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Royal We

lol, I wondered if the lycra comment would get some attention.

My mom is hawt.

Only with the lights off !

Hawes Junkie
    I parked at that lot for years w/ no issues until earlier this year when I found that there are 2 decent warm up trails that head out to Hawes from the Walgreens at Thomas-been riding Hawes for over a decade and never knew about it til about a year ago.

Ever since then I've always parked in their lot and enjoyed the leisurely start up and the nice warm down.

It doesn't hurt though to leave no valuables in view and drive a POS truck/car. :-)

Talking about Hawes--who's joining DG on her ride this Saturday?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I posted two years ago about how they broke into my truck to steal my cd players faceplate(not the deck just the face) as well as my bike tools and wallet. This has been a known hot spot for years as when I made that post 3-4 others came on and said they either got hit or know people that have. I think we need to tell the rangers and local cops and ask them to make it part of their patrol. You know they go past that lot many times a day, they could take a quick look through it.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

nobody
    I parked there yesterday early AM for a much needed Dawn Patrol before work. I usually park at Walgreens but was short on time and wanted to get to the good stuff quick.

I think I'll stick to Walgreens from now on...
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

I love bike!
    F-in tweakers suck!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    F-in tweakers suck!
    East Mesa sucks.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    East Mesa sucks.
    I saw you posted in this thread.
    This is pretty much what I expect you to say.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I saw you posted in this thread.
    This is pretty much what I expect you to say.

Yes, but my new sig rocks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Yes, but my new sig rocks!!
    From what I've been told, you're not a "poser" at Sodomy Gulch

dirt visionary
    It has been a very long time since I have parked there. As much as I hate it I ride from walgreens. I have never had my vehicle broke into there but sure did see alot of glass always and one day I pulled up and seen 6 piles that was the day I decided not to park there again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    It has been a very long time since I have parked there. As much as I hate it I ride from walgreens. I have never had my vehicle broke into there but sure did see alot of glass always and one day I pulled up and seen 6 piles that was the day I decided not to park there again.
    I've always parked at Walgreens. And even then, I worry about my car.
    But the singletrack section you can pick up across the street is pretty sweet.

dirt visionary
    Yeah I park in front and still worry .......You talking about the trail the runs on west or east side of the canal? The one on the west is cool but drops you in @ the main entrance . The one on the east brings you to the bottom of the first climb on your way to the water bars on Hawes trail.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I worry every time I park in east mesa! I would rather go to flag or papago!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Yeah I park in front and still worry .......You talking about the trail the runs on west or east side of the canal? The one on the west is cool but drops you in @ the main entrance . The one on the east brings you to the bottom of the first climb on your way to the water bars on Hawes trail.
    I like to start the ride on the west side of the canal - it's a nice warmup and has fun whoop-de-doos. Coming back I'll sometimes do the trail that scoots beside Las Sendas on the east side of the canal just because it's the shortest way home.... we'll probably do that today and the sun is setting on our long ride! But that trail is definitely not as fun as the one on the west side of the canal.

Salty Dog

No corn = no cops...

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I posted two years ago about how they broke into my truck to steal my cd players faceplate(not the deck just the face) as well as my bike tools and wallet. This has been a known hot spot for years as when I made that post 3-4 others came on and said they either got hit or know people that have. I think we need to tell the rangers and local cops and ask them to make it part of their patrol. You know they go past that lot many times a day, they could take a quick look through it.
    Unfortunately I believe that parking lot is actually MCSO jurisdiction. That means arpaio won't have anyone available to take crime of real crime. He will use 60 deputies and posse members to arrest three janitors in Mesa.

Have I mentioned I have no use for arpaio?

Just call in to MCSO and tell them there's corn vendors selling out of the lot on weekends. Then you won't be able to park there for all the 'official' cars...
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100