mtbr member

Riding Again : Dirt Road loop Mayer Arizona 10/5/2013

Hey All:

Riding this again Saturday 10/5, this time Ill be riding to the top of Mt Union. This will be extra climbing.

I would love to have company join me on this ride.

meet saturday 10/5 645 leave 7AM (sharp) Mayer dollar store parking lot.

I will be doing a loop in the Mayer Arizona area. The map of what it is is included.

But the roads will be Mayer Circle K -- Pine Flats Road -- Senator Hwy -- Mt Union Road (FR 261 ?) -- climb to top of Mt Union -- Poland Road -- back to 69 -- down to circle K.

37.8 miles with about 5600 feet of climbing.

Ill try to get a profile of this ride, I think I can actually get it. But what it does is there is a climb from Mayer up to Senator Hwy and then it goes down about 600 feet on Senator and about 1000 feet climb up to the Mt union Area. From the Mt Union Area back to Mayer is ALL downhill. its literally a long slow 4000 feet descent.

There are about 4 miles on Hwy 69, but there is a very big shoulder and its all downhill.

Expect.

1) very little traffic on the dirt roads.
    2) no HAB.
    3) VERY wide trails
    4) Cool delicious mountain pine air.
    5) Maybe some wildlife.
    6) a damn good workout.

-Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirt Road mini-epic loop Mayer Arizona 9/28/2013-mayer_pinflats_senator_union_poland_69.jpg  

Last edited by MtbAZ44; 10-20-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    Below Par on the Gnar

Ahhh the pain....
    Brian,
    That looks like a fun route. Can't make it Saturday, but would like to do the loop some other day. Can you send me your gpx file? rhemmele at g mail dot com. thx!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I couldnt get it as one gpx. So its broken in 3 parts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Below Par on the Gnar

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    No HAB? I'm out.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks Brian...I'll "glue" em together using topofusion and be good to go.
    Seron, sometimes, it's kinda nice not to HAB!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

Give it a crank
    Looks interesting but not this time. BTW, I'd hate to get within 100' of the highway on a bike, I'd go up Thoroughbred Ln. that parallels 69 just a 1/2 mile to the east.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Looks interesting but not this time. BTW, I'd hate to get within 100' of the highway on a bike, I'd go up Thoroughbred Ln. that parallels 69 just a 1/2 mile to the east.
    the route is not set in stone I guess its the road biker in me to not care about hwy 69... but I am up for thoroughbred Ln also
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    well, I did it ... kind of a spiritual ride doing it alone... did a lot of thinking on the climbs.. you know those endorphin fueled thoughts... Saw some deer, and there is a portion of the ride is beside running creeks with with some waterfalls... Nice cool pine ride.. love it.

one thing that annoys me is my gpx files say I did 3600 feet of climbing.. but if I do estimates (error on the side of being too low) based on my topo map, I come up with at least 4200 feet of climbing...

my back and right thigh say the 4200 estimate is correct...

It could be that I built my maps on google instead of mapping my route as I rode...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the invite and sharing your report!

Give it a crank
    If you upload your gpx file to Strava, it'll spit out a fairly good total climb figure. It looks up elevations along your route from more accurate DEM data.

mtbr member
    Finally brought my garmin and recorded the climbing on this route. I did the route not including the final push to Mt Union... 5221 feet of climbing which would make the final push to Mt Union at about 5600 feet of climbing... I think I underestimated the total descent on Pine Flats road... You know, that losing of elevation after you worked so hard to gain it
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    I did a similiar loop on a single Speed this last summer starting and ending in Prescott. Check out this link to my workout in Stava- Mountain Bike Ride Profile | One Loop....One Speed near Prescott | Times and Records | Strava

The ride was fun and quite a bit of climbing. I got pretty smoked heading back to Prescott near Mt Union around Big Bug Mesa and Poland rd. 73 miles and 7 k of climbing...

Ahhh the pain....
    dfp23, mind sending me a gpx of that? trying to put together a big bikepacking loop including bradshaws, bloody basin, etc... rhemmele at g mail dot com.
    thx! ray

mtbr member
    dfp. yes that is very similar. You added a lot more riding. What I underestimated was all the up and down riding from about 25 miles to 35 miles on your Strava. That rolling terrain really adds a lot of climbing to this route...

And yes from Mayer up to Mount Union is a real suffer fest...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Raybum- I sent you an email with the GPX file in it. Let me know that you got it OK-

MTBAZ44- Yah it was no joke heading back to Prescott. A lot great scenery though!

mtbr member

New corrected gpx files.

I am almost certain the gpx files I added above don't have elevation. So I attached the same segments that also have elevation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Below Par on the Gnar