EDR

Diamondback Response anyone?

Looking to get my son a bike and I found a few DB Missions locally and wondering if it's a light (enough) bike to enjoy.

Here's the lowdown:

He rides with me occasionally but not an avid rider. He has been riding our Trek 820 on the trails but the thing is a pig compared to my 575. I let him jump on my bike the other day and he said, "Dad, this thing just 'goes'!... and it's so easy to climb". He actually had a big smile on his face, he was amazed. Now, my bike is right around 30lbs so I'm guessing the chromoly 820 is much heavier. I'm just looking for a cheap hardtail that he can enjoy much more. I know it won't be a boutique bike but it might be a nice upgrade with a few mods.

The Mission is a '09 I think and it's his size, asking $200. I'd be willing lighten the stock wheelset if it meant the thing can get down to 30lbs or less, probably ditch the stock fork as well in time. He's 16 years old and maybe 145lbs. I researched on the DB forum but weights listed are all over the place, but let's face it, manufacturer forums are mainly full of zealots so I take the advice with a grain of salt.

Would this bike work ya think? Anyone in AZ have first hand knowledge of the late model Missions?

Maybe I just give him the 575 and get a 66 for myself
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-17-2013 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm no expert but I do own a Diamondback 29er hardtail (Overdrive). It's a good bike for what I paid for it, but it is heavy. In a size medium with stock rims and tires, it weighed about 33 lbs. I also don't think the Mission is a hardtail. If I recall correctly that is DB's all-mountain full-suspension model.

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 mission. I changed some parts on mine and it weighs 33 lbs. which can be heavy at times but it bombs downhill really fast. I don't think that is too bad for an all mountain 6-inch travel bike. I have seen that a few guys have gotten their missions down to 28 lbs. by changing out the wheels and cranks etc. Either way, $200 for a mission is a steal! There were different versions of the mission available, the cheapest ones still retailed around 2k when new.

Rogue Exterminator
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the mission a full suspension bike?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

MudMan
    Oct 2011
    What I learned about buying a bike for my boy:

Bought him a 15" specialized when he was 14 thinking that he needed to have a bike that would fit him. I found that he had already outgrown the 15" within the year and was riding his moms Trek. I don't know, I think if i could do it all over I would of got him a 18" right off the bat and let him grow into it, instead out grow it. could of saved my self some money.

Quiet Professional

Re: Diamondback Mission anyone?

You sure it is a mission? The mission would be an amazing bike for 200.00. They came with fox forks and shocks. A good am bike and many have said they like the knuckle box suspension.

Now the mason is the hardtail.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

EDR

Re: Diamondback Mission anyone?

My bad everyone. I'm looking at the Diamondback response. Akin to the Specialized Hardrock I suppose. I fixed the title.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/3725360375.html

Just A Mountain Biker.

Diamondback Response anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Maybe I just give him the 575 and get a 66 for myself
    This. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    My bad everyone. I'm looking at the Diamondback response. Akin to the Specialized Hardrock I suppose. I fixed the title.

Diamondback Response - Aluminum Frame
    The bike he pictured is not the same model he lists with the link to REI.
    First noticeable difference in the brakes.
    The one form REI has disk brakes.

Also that does not seem to be a color offered in 2009 but it was a 2010 color not that it makes a whole lot of difference.

If I am correct, fair price on that model is $149
    Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

(If indeed it is a 2009 $141)

From pictures the bike looks to be in pretty decent shape so I would be comfortable paying $150.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    The bike he pictured is not the same model he lists with the link to REI.
    First noticeable difference in the brakes.
    The one form REI has disk brakes.
    Ya, I'm aware of the differences but they are of no major concern. What I really just want to know is will it be at or under 30lbs with a decent wheelset? That's really the crux of my question. My son thought my bike was super light, lol...and it's 30lbs so I'm shooting for that.

Rogue Exterminator
    Best info I can find without doing a ton of research is the bike weighs in at 33.5 lbs.
    So if you can shave about 2 lbs a wheel then the answer is yes.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Best info I can find without doing a ton of research is the bike weighs in at 33.5 lbs.
    So if you can shave about 2 lbs a wheel then the answer is yes.
    Sounds reasonable. I found everything from 26 to 35lbs so I knew that was off base.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

... and if we just ...

I own a DB Response 2008. They've shed some weight on this model over the years. They typically come in 2-3 trims. With the response you will get a very heavy duty hard tail frame, but that's about it... You can make it very light if you invest in better components yourself. But for the money, it is not worth the upgrade. I've upgraded mine over the years, and the money I ended up putting in it could have gotten me something far more worthwhile. But that was when I was a poor grad student, and didn't have the means to get a better rig at one swoop.

HOWEVER, I love the damn thing because it had became a project bike of sorts. And really, it climbs well enough. And the frame is going to last a lifetime. I've put it through some serious beating (jumps, drops, crashes), and till this day, it looks brand new.

See it for yourself if interested:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/d...k-response.jpg

Worth it? If you are on a tight budget
    Good bike? Only after upgrades
    Good starter MTB? Was for me =)

EDR

Re: Diamondback Response anyone?

Good info thanks yes, this will be a budget bike. Like I said my son does like to ride with me from time to time but he is not an avid mountain biker. He has too many other interests. So this looks like a good option to get him on a better bike than what we currently have for him to ride. I would have no problem adding a lighter wheelset for a good price and maybe even a Manitue match fork to lighten things up considerably and make it much more fun to ride. Even with those costs included I think it will be a fun ride at a good price point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Not trying to talk you out of your plan or the bike, but I urge you to think twice before pulling the trigger on a bike you have to do extensive upgrading on. If you buy the bike at $200, and plan to add a decent fork (around $400), and get a decent wheeleset (another $400), you are essentially buying a $1000 bike, and that's not including labor (if not done by yourself)! Trust me, you can get some great HT bikes at the price point and with less hassle. Lastly, the components that came stock will now not be on par with the mid range fork and wheel sets you just added. Just something for you to think about.

EDR

Re: Diamondback Response anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by R1D3 View Post
    Not trying to talk you out of your plan or the bike, but I urge you to think twice before pulling the trigger on a bike you have to do extensive upgrading on. If you buy the bike at $200, and plan to add a decent fork (around $400), and get a decent wheeleset (another $400), you are essentially buying a $1000 bike, and that's not including labor (if not done by yourself)! Trust me, you can get some great HT bikes at the price point and with less hassle. Lastly, the components that came stock will now not be on par with the mid range fork and wheel sets you just added. Just something for you to think about.
    I hear ya but this can be done on a budget. The manitue match fork with the absolute dampuer is more than just an OK fork its a good fork and it's $200 at price point right now. An ok wheelset will be a pretty big upgrade over the stock wheel set and I'm sure I could find a good set used for hundred fifty dollars or so. Anyway that's the plan thanks for the tips. I also have some bb7 disc brakes and I believe some X.9 shifters laying around somewhere.