You're killing me Smalls!

Diamond in the Rough - $5 buy at yard sale worth big bucks!

Floyd somehow finds a way to keep his name in the press. Be it good or bad.

This may be the best $5 that this dude ever spent!

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?...03205033033001

By Molly Haines
    Everyone has heard the old saying, “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.”

A bicycle priced at $5 – assumed to be junk in a 127 yard sale on Roland Avenue – turned out to be the find of a lifetime for Owenton resident Greg Estes.

Regardless of its two flat tires and what appeared to be broken pedals, Estes said he thought it looked like an expensive sports bike.

“I thought I could put it back in my sale and maybe get a couple hundred out of it,” Estes said.

It turns out the pedals weren’t broken at all, but were custom-built pedals that cost about $500.

And after a little bit of research, Estes learned the pedals weren’t the only thing expensive about the bike.

“It turns out the bike was custom-built by Cyco-Path Bikes in California for Floyd Landis,” Estes said.

Landis is an American cyclist who has won many bike races, including the prestigious Tour de France.

Estes had a picture of the bike he bought for $5 being ridden by Landis in the 2007 Leadville Trail 100-mile mountain bike race in Colorado.

“After I did the research, I took it to a couple of bike shops,” Estes said. “One guy told me I could put it on eBay and get $4,000 for it in minutes.”

Although he was told the bike retails for $8,000, Estes put it in his own 127 yard sale for $6,000, along with the picture of Landis coming in second with the bike at the Leadville trail race.

“More or less I put it in my sale for a conversation piece,” Estes said. “I couldn’t tell you how many people walked by and wanted to know why I had $6,000 on a bicycle.”

Estes said the bike was found on the interstate by a state worker and that there is no reported file on the bike indicating it’s missing or stolen.

“They said right now the bike is mine,” Estes said. “But if it turns out that it was stolen, I won’t have any problem returning it to its rightful owner.”

Eager shoppers from throughout the country swarmed roadsides, yards and fields during the four-day sale; although, some vendors said sales and traffic were down compared to previous years.

Colleen Thomas, who was set up on Lonnie Reed’s property near the Franklin-Owen County line, said she had been cooking food for 127 sale shoppers since the 1980s.

“We’ve had people from New York, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and West Virginia this year,” Thomas said. “All in all, it’s been pretty good but the traffic flow seemed a little lighter than normal. It’s been steady though.”

Billy Kemper, who set up to provide the shoppers with a snack or meal, said food sales were down this year.

“Food sales were off tremendously. We’ve been selling stuff for a nickel, dime or quarter just to make a little bit” Kemper said.

As the world’s longest yard sale wrapped up Sunday afternoon, its official website – www.127sale.com – reset its year-long countdown. It’s only 357 days until the 2011 127 Corridor Sale.
    Marty

Losing Ground
    I would say it's worth nothing. Tainted forever.

im4Gsus
    pffft
    ironically, the bike reflects his life: broken down and worthless.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    as the old saying goes, "one's man's junk is... not what i want to see,, wear some goddamn underwear under those spandex"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    pffft
    Really? You make it sound like Floyd was the only one who doped. So, if, say Floyd's claims were indeed true, and Lance did indeed dope too, would you make the same comment about Lance?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

You're killing me Smalls!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Really? You make it sound like Floyd was the only one who doped. So, if, say Floyd's claims were indeed true, and Lance did indeed dope too, would you make the same comment about Lance?
    I was biting my tongue on this one, but to call his life "worthless" is pretty extreme in my book. But I guess if someone feels that they are sitting on God's lap, then they are in the best position to judge weather or not a person's life has any worth.

I still would have paid $5 for that bike.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    pffft
    typical.

pedaller
    What, no asterisk in the story by the "winning the Tour de France" comment?

Reporters...

I would've bought the bike for sure!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson