No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

DH bike recommendations

... on a budget.

My wife and I have been talking and I think in the coming year I'm going to do more mountain biking trips (hopefully including Whistler in 2013). And I plan on starting to hit the GnarGnar van again.

My only prior "true" DH bike was a Morewood Izimu. I actually quite liked that rig, but even the large was too small for me at 6'2".

I'll be buying on the secondary market as -- considering the other bikes I have in the garage -- I can't justify a high-dollar DH bike for the amount of use it'll get.

The majority of use will be on local shuttles, with trips to Flag, Bootleg and elsewhere.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Look at used bikes. You can sometimes find really good deals on barely used dh rigs. If a in near perfect condition 2008 or maybe it's a 9 KHS dh bike sounds good call up Sports Mans Bar here in Flagstaff and ask for Kirk. He has been sort of trying to get rid of it for the last two years. Bike is sick.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Yeah Buddy!!!

Look for a large cove shocker. Les rides one and he's a big dude. They are long and strong and love to get the gnarly on!

That or a Canfield Jedi. Gene Hamiliton is tall and rides a large and rips that thing like a professional bike coach...wait he is.

You should be able to find either of those used for around $2500-$3500 built to the teeth...like you like them. Canandian snow season is coming up and canucks need some cash!

2011 Large Cove Shocker PRICE DROP 2500 O.B.O. - Pinkbike

2012 cove STD large - Pinkbike

Canfield Jedi super dialed (price drop) - Pinkbike

2012 Canfield Formula One Jedi (Large) REDUCED! - Pinkbike
    (buy this one! local, custom suspension, I've seen this bike in person and it's siiiiick!)

I did all the work for you...go buy buy buy and then shred gnar gnar gnar!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hey, bob: Those are all nice and outside what I'm looking to spend. Cenobunz' old Glory is available since he just got a Devinci. Might grab that and make some changes to it.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    My wife and I have been talking and I think in the coming year I'm going to do more mountain biking trips (hopefully including Whistler in 2013)
    I hope to be doing more trips myself. Since the wedding and honeymoon is finally out of the way I'll have a little more leeway for having fun. Won't be hitting Whistler but I REALLY wanna beat up some Flagstaff trails more often next summer. The heat down here really killed me this summer for some reason.

With that said you know and liked your Stumpy 29 and Enduro. You may be able to pick up a used Status for relatively cheap. Geared properly it could be the perfect AM bike. If only you'd kept your SX

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Hey, bob: Those are all nice and outside what I'm looking to spend. Cenobunz' old Glory is available since he just got a Devinci. Might grab that and make some changes to it.
    That bike belongs in a retirement home the way it's been beaten down...but I guess you are half his size it's probably got a few years left.

You never said you had a budget Plus those bikes retail are $6k plus...more bang for buck

I love bike!
    There's a guy that posts to this board quite a bit trying to sell bikes in the classifieds or on craigslist...i'm sure he has something listed or...oh wait

Kathleen in AZ
    Buy my 2009 Turner DHR for the wife!! Size small.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Kona operator are always being blown out. Pinkbike used list is the way to go. Those boys in Cali don't touch rocks so I would check that region.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mikey has a Large Pivot Phoenix for sale. I believe it's on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Buy my 2009 Turner DHR for the wife!! Size small.
    thought you sold that...post on gnar page!

mtbr member
    Check PM's.