Meat Clever

Destination Suggestions, Please

I'm planning a mid-May trip from CA and will be doing a counter-clockwise loop through AZ, to CO, UT, then NV.

Relatively fit riders that like moderate chunk, 3' drops max, 4- to 5-inch FS bikes, 2 to 3 days to ride in AZ, probably 6-7 hours of riding each day. Lodging will be either camp or cheap-hotel.

Tentatively planning on stopping in Phoenix first and hitting South Mountain (24th Street Up Mormon to Buena Vista, down Geronimo?)

We'll probably end up 2nd or 3rd day in Flagstaff (Fort Valley or Shultz Creek? or?) on the way to CO, unless there are recommendations for better riding as we travel north thru AZ along the way to CO. Sedona worth the stop? Substitute Sedona for Flagstaff? or do Both? Trail suggestions?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

bland
    Sedona is totally worth it and If the trails in Flagstaff are dry by then flag is also a must. The ride suggestion sticky in the AZ forum can point you towards trails. When you ride sedona stop in at over the edge to get some trail beta.

When you ride flagstaff do a shuttle down the az trail from snowbowl and then traverse across ft valley and go up dry lake hills and ride down little bear, sunset, or brookbank to schultz.

Have fun! and I'm sure you'll get several other routes suggested.

mtbr member
    No offense to CO but most of the destination type rides (aka high alpine) won't yet be rideable by mid-May in a decent snow year. I'd spend an extra day or two and make sure you heed m77's red rock suggestion. The lower elevation stuff in Durango willl be open (Telegraph, etc), Phil's is fun (near Cortez), and there's an outside chance the section of CO trail to Durango could be a go (or, at least Champion down). The High Desert Trail system near Gallup is also worth a stop if you decide to go in that direction. Also, Alien's Run near Farmington.

Meat Clever
    Thanks M77 & rockman. Trip dates are somewhat flexible and may be able to go in later spring/early summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Hit me up when you're in town. We can help you with all your questions. Lodging, shuttles, etc. You're gonna love what AZ has to offer!

Give it a crank
    One great place to camp, ride, relax is the McDowell Mountain Regional Park just north of Fountain Hills. Check out their park campground pages.

Various trails branch off Pemberton Trail for some good climbs & descents towards the peaks into the McDowell Sonoran Preserve.

South Mountain is also a great place for day-long rides with lots of cheap lodging nearby.