Give it a crank

Dessert Classic total ascent

I had always assumed Dessert Classic to be mostly flat, a few ups and downs, but more or less all at the same altitude. The other day I went for another 20 mile loop hooking up DC, Natty, and Telegraph Pass. This time I start at the trailhead just south of TP going east on DC then up MT/Natty and back down on HAB-heavy TP.

The temps didn't cool as expected and I felt out of gas half way up Natty. Later I realized what really did it, it was the total ascent on DC I never cared to consider. Did you know DC has a total ascent of almost 800 feet along the 10 west-to-east miles? Good thing to know.

It was a pretty bad idea to do DC before going up MT/Natty on a hot day. At BV it was still hotter than I had expected and I took the paved road to TP to shorten the ride a bit. Still a good 20-mile ride but I missed the part I like most on National, from the towers to TP, parallel to the road.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    almost 800 feet along the 10 west-to-east miles?
    Is pretty much flat. Maybe if it was 800 feet in 1 mile or even 5 then it would mean climbing, but nearly 800 over 10 miles means some pretty flat terrain (yes, I've ridden it).

Can't imagine doing it in that heat though
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Is pretty much flat. Maybe if it was 800 feet in 1 mile or even 5 then it would mean climbing, but nearly 800 over 10 miles means some pretty flat terrain (yes, I've ridden it).

Can't imagine doing it in that heat though

can I touch you..?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    can I touch you..?
    Yes, Dreamy Draw at 10pm tonight.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Got a suspension fork
    fwiw, my elevation corrected data shows that DC round trip is 1,036 feet of ascent.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Give it a crank
    It's easy to get different data by using different track logging intervals. I set mine at 1 second intervals for logging and filter the gps logs after downloading. The gpx files typically grow to a couple MB with 1 sec. logging.

When I plug my one-way west-to-east log into Google Earth I get 898' ascending and 994' descending, which makes 1892' round trip. Here's a screendump:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dessert Classic total ascent-dc.jpg  

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    It's easy to get different data by using different track logging intervals. I set mine at 1 second intervals for logging and filter the gps logs after downloading. The gpx files typically grow to a couple MB with 1 sec. logging.

When I plug my one-way west-to-east log into Google Earth I get 898' ascending and 994' descending, which makes 1892' round trip. Here's a screendump:
    It goes far beyond just the tracking interval.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has anyone checked the ele gain for the trails on the faaaaaaar west side of tukee? I'm talking about the trails that start a mile past the base of Telegraph.

A lot of people say that DC is flat, I suppose if you don't ride it fast it's pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, I can pretty much all downhills of somo on a xc bike, but it's not fast on the rocky stuff. It's all relative is what I'm saying.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    It goes far beyond just the tracking interval.
    Unfortunately very true.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Don't forget to throw in Helipad and that unmarked rocky stuff off to the right for some added elevation
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

My other ride is your mom
    There's about 180vf of gain over 2.5 miles between my house, the grocery store and back....and that's done with a 30 pack of beer on the rack on the way back up the climb.

I also should get bonus points for doing it on my 47 lb dutch bike with internal 3-speed Strumy Archer hub.....and I'm also usually intoxicated as well.

So, if my math does me right....I think that WAY outdoes a DC, coast to coast.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Did you know DC has a total ascent of almost 800 feet along the 10 west-to-east miles? Good thing to know.
    I'm pretty sure you have that backwards, West to East has a decent. Seethis link: http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoe...mountain-park/

As ridden from Pima Westward (East-to-West) you have an elevation gain.
    "If that's your big problem of the day.....you have a great life. Enjoy it and ride your bike." ~The Mayor

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by z06dustin
    I'm pretty sure you have that backwards, West to East has a decent. Seethis link: http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/phoe...mountain-park/

How sure is "pretty sure"? 50%? 95%?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDoger
    Has anyone checked the ele gain for the trails on the faaaaaaar west side of tukee? I'm talking about the trails that start a mile past the base of Telegraph.

A lot of people say that DC is flat, I suppose if you don't ride it fast it's pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, I can pretty much all downhills of somo on a xc bike, but it's not fast on the rocky stuff. It's all relative is what I'm saying.
    What trails to the west? There's nothing over there. Shhh...

About a week ago I rode up Marker33 (aka Gila Ridge Trail) to National, then west to the connector to Gila, then Gila back over to the trail 6/602 area. Elevation gain up Marker 33 is about 1000 feet in a little over 2 miles. Don't have the numbers in front of me but bees knees is pretty steep too. That runs along the ridge that's just to the south of Gila.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by z06dustin

I'm pretty sure that he does NOT mean a net elevation gain (as in starting elevation - ending elevation). Instead he means total elevation gain (I believe Topofusion calls it "total climbing") All those little dips in elevation count to some degree. Down up, down up, down up... Add all those little ascents together west to east, you apparently get ~800 ft. The other direction, ~900 ft.

Give it a crank
    Yeah the elevation terms have been way too distorted by various sources. There's all kinds of terms used and misused by users, software developers, online sources, etc. PhxChem is right in explaining the "total" as being the sum of all the changes in elevation.

Some refer to it as climb/drop, gain/loss, ascent/descent, and probably even other terms. It's hard to tell where all the confusion comes from but it's obvious. That makes it tough on anyone trying to learn about it. Still, everyone seems to get the idea.