mtbr member
    Jan 2013

desert riding, best 26" tubeless tire?

I'm running Specialized tubeless right now. There have remarkably weak sidewalls and I also knocked a couple of knobs off the casing. Looking to replace them and would love to know what people are happy with. Thank you.

I love bike!
    Everyone has a favorite tire or tire combo but there is not one that is right for everyone. Sounds like you've got more of an issue with sidewalls getting shredded. Look at tires that have reinforced sidewall protection and/or tubeless ready which generally have tougher sidewalls. Tradeoff is that they will be on the heavier side. Here's some off the top of my head. Most likely got some wrong so others can correct me or add others.

Maxxis - EXO grid
    Specialized - I think it's GRID and/or SX
    Continental - Protection
    Schwalbe - Tubeless ready???
    Geax - TNT
    WTB - TCS

mtbr member
    Hope you are not using the S-works - they are pretty weak for daily rides.

I use grids on the back - went from a side wall tear every 2 months to ZERO tears in the past 9 months.

I love bike!
    FWIW...I've run Maxxis, Specialized, and Geax all with reinforced sidewalls tubeless at low pressures (b/w 18-25 lbs) and have never had problems slicing sidewalls (just screwed myself). I ride some pretty aggressive trails (national, geronimo, holbert, PMP gnar, etc). Currently running a Speshy Butcher SX front and Maxxis DHF Exo rear and really like the combo. Hearing a lot of good things about the Conti Trail Kings, or was it Mountain Kings, I can't remember.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I would love it if I was slicing sidewalls (well, maybe not) but the weak sidewall comment has to do with the sidewall collapsing when I run lower than 40 psi. I'm not skinny, but at 185, 5'10" I would think the sidewall can stand up better than it does. I like the Specialized for up front, but since I do have some weight, I guess I need something more robust behind me.

EDR

Re: desert riding, best 26" tubeless tire?

Specialized makes a lot of tires. What casing are you using?
    Grid, UST, control, sworks? For Phoenix desert terrain I have found that the control series is way too thin in the rear, I'm sure the S Works is far worse. I suggest UST or Grid.

Other good options include: the snakeskins from Schwalbe or the Continental protection series. I've been running a continental trail king in UST for the past 6 months with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Specialized makes a lot of tires. What casing are you using?
    Grid, UST, control, sworks? For Phoenix desert terrain I have found that the control series is way too thin in the rear, I'm sure the S Works is far worse. I suggest UST or Grid.

Other good options include: the snakeskins from Schwalbe or the Continental protection series. I've been running a continental trail king in UST for the past 6 months with no issues.
    I've been running the Trail King UST for 1.5 years (2.4 front/2.2 rear) and they've held up well. The McDowells are right out my front door, but they've worked well everywhere I've ridden them: around the Valley, Flag, Downieville, Tahoe, Angelfire, you name it. Was running Nevegals with tubes before, which maybe had a teeny bit more absolute grip, but the Contis are more predictable, last longer and roll muuuch better.

Ted

Meatbomb
    I like the Specialized Controls.... As mentioned above the S-Works tires are really only made for racing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +1 for Maxxis EXO. Solid sidewall strength. I'm 220 and run them around 30 psi in the rear tubeless. I really like the Ardent tread. I didn't have luck with a Conti X-King Black Chili - the sidewall fell apart on me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've used Specialized ranging form the S-works to the grids when they first arrived and have settled on the armadillo elites run tubeless with Stan's.