mtbr member

decent HT for buddy at LBS?

has anyone seen a decent hardtail deal at any of the local shops? my buddy is looking for recommendations as a new rider...he's about 5'9, 215 (maybe more). i'd like to get him a lot of bike for the money (600 or less). now that he's move out to 65th ave. near somo. i am not sure about lbs around him but i'd like to get him on some test rides soon.

pedaller

not a answer to your question...

but on a similar note, I have a buddy who loves his old '96 Trek HT but it's best days are behind it (shock is totally gone) and was wondering if anyone has any similar recommendations of a good steel HT for him to try. I think he'd like to spend around $1K or less.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Not that I'm promoting them, but I was at Global Bikes on AZ Ave. and 202. They had a couple Specialized on sale, I think it was a Hardrock, also a Stumpjumper. I they had a couple of the Hardrock model's under $600, I think they were 06' models though. Here's a link, it might be work checking out Global:

http://www.globalbikesbikeshop.com/salebikes.html