mtbr member

Death valley 220

Ghost towns. Extreme environments. Geologic mayhem. Tectonic ruckus. What could be cooler than a Death Valley bike-packing trip in February? I'm considering the last weekend of February or first weekend in March. Route is a combination of dirt road and pavement (we can pretend we're roadies on the paved portions), and begins with a 5000 foot descent through the Grapevine Mountains down to 282 feet below sea level on the floor of Death Valley. The bulk of the 13K feet total ascent is split between Days 2 and 3, each day beginning with a 4000 foot climb. Jumping-off point would be Beatty, NV, about 1.5 hours NW of Las Vegas on US-95. If you've never been to Death Valley, there's no better time of year to drop in, and no better way to experience it than by bike, pavement and all.

Route gpx attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Sounds cool.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    IN. This will have a surreal vibe about it, some interesting geography over there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    There's some good info and trip reports in this thread.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Ghost towns. Extreme environments. Geologic mayhem. Tectonic ruckus. What could be cooler than a Death Valley bike-packing trip in February? I'm considering the last weekend of February or first weekend in March. Route is a combination of dirt road and pavement (we can pretend we're roadies on the paved portions), and begins with a 5000 foot descent through the Grapevine Mountains down to 282 feet below sea level on the floor of Death Valley. The bulk of the 13K feet total ascent is split between Days 2 and 3, each day beginning with a 4000 foot climb. Jumping-off point would be Beatty, NV, about 1.5 hours NW of Las Vegas on US-95. If you've never been to Death Valley, there's no better time of year to drop in, and no better way to experience it than by bike, pavement and all.

Route gpx attached.
    I had the pleasure of riding through Death Valley as part of the Furnace Creek 508. The race was amazing, and riding through Death Valley at 2 a.m. was surreal. I'd highly recommend it to anybody.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Tucson, AZ
    Dates in early Feb?

mtbr member
    Shooting for the last weekend of February.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    John, great threads you found! I really enjoyed reading them, brings back memories. I sent an invite to T2, who did the car-supported write-up about the northern loop. I was last in DV long-term in 1997, when I was a young buck mapping geology for the US Geological Survey on and off the Nevada Test Site (which might explain a lot). It was the year the valley floor flooded and people were out on kayaks north of Badwater, south of Furnace Creek. The wildflower bloom was phenomenal, with visitors coming all the way from Europe at a moment's notice to see the flowers in Death Valley (this was before the age of netcams, so word about this traveled over the phone wires I guess). Topping it all off was comet Hale-Bopp, hanging low in the western sky over the Panamints for what seemed like weeks, reflected at night in the inky black mirror of the flooded valley floor. I would live half the year in Beatty, NV (which probably explains even more), and all of my free time was spent hiking and biking around DV. What it lacks in singletrack it returns 100-fold in scenery, miles-long downhill runs (though once I had to pedal all 23 miles downhill from Daylight Pass, the headwinds were so fierce), climbingclimbingclimbing, utter silence, sublime color palette, a riot of a night sky, and absolute sheer scale. It's one of those places that makes you feel like a microscopic speck on the landscape, the wind in the shadows whispering, "He was never here..." It's going to be a great ride.

mtbr member
    Interested for sure.

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Maybe I'll get out to pre-ride the Echo Canyon segment before February and see if that's a good alternate route back to Beatty.
    Last edited by GilaMonster; 10-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Tucson, AZ
    I am free the 20-23 of Feb....looking at some type of bping then too.

mtbr member

Death valley 220

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner View Post
    I am free the 20-23 of Feb....looking at some type of bping then too.
    Any idea for logistics, azepicriderandrunner? How about something in the Agua Fria/Bloody Basin/Horse Thief area?

K&K
    Man (gilamonster),.... you need to write a novel, you write real good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Man (gilamonster),.... you need to write a novel, you write real good
    Ha, thanks ki5ka! Gear up and ride Death Valley with us!

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Ha, thanks ki5ka! Gear up and ride Death Valley with us!
    Am I right thinking there's not much/any singletrack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Am I right thinking there's not much/any singletrack?
    You are right about that, no singletrack, it's a combo of dirt road, jeep track and pavement.