Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dawn to Dusk, Who's in?

6K views 75 replies 28 participants last post by  Birdss 
#1 ·
Hey there, just a quick heads up that this event is filling up and has a cap because of the venue parking. Who's all going and what are you riding?

#41 ·
Wow guys, Pemberton is not my cup o tea either, but as a mountain biker I'd like to see a thread on each of the local events so I know what my choices are.

I love the grassroots stuff too, but I think it's kinda poopy to bash something because it's not free and it's not your thing. You have choices ... don't enter the race and don't open the thread.

Dang.

#43 ·
Wow guys, Pemberton is not my cup o tea either, but as a mountain biker I'd like to see a thread on each of the local events so I know what my choices are.

I love the grassroots stuff too, but I think it's kinda poopy to bash something because it's not free and it's not your thing. You have choices ... don't enter the race and don't open the thread.

Dang.
wow. I'm with TG. Nothing wrong with having your fun your way, don't crap on someone else's fun and make them feel $h!tty for their stoke. respect eachother's passion and be positive.

don't be bitter about the BCT ride either. Love what DC tried to do with it, but I was surprised by how visible this event was with so much lead time. Some events that are quite popular over other holiday weekends still keep it more word-of-mouth for a reason.

as far as the promoter post a message...cmon people take a step back and give the guy some slack. Events wouldnt exist if the promoter couldnt make some money back. Hes not bombing every forum with messages, and he will probably learn now to announce himself thusly. I know some races I've done in Prescott 12 hr and Fire on the Rim did some mild self-promotion, not every race is Epic Rides. No knock on Epic, they've worked very hard to get 'stability' where they can count on filling up, and i'm glad they dont have to stress their budget they've worked hard to get there! FWIW, I rode with Todd this past weekend at the underground Sandbox Showdown - we're all just out for a good ride.

the ad on the side of the page, its an adword thing. Putting on AdBlocker and it will go away. Its not the promoter's fault for that, its google's.

Maad - lighten up Francis i have a bottle of kahlua for you. :D

whew! i'm done here...

#38 ·
I don't know what the big deal is. I'm signed up and pretty excited about it. I know it's only Pemberton, but I'm just excited to be doing a race again. If someone has a good product, well then they deserve to profit from it. But that other non profit group sounds pretty cool too. To each their own I guess. We all have our preferences. At the end of the day, we are all talking about riding a bike, so that's pretty cool.

#39 ·
I suppose you you grumpy ole' men don't have jobs, since the idea of OP earning a living is such a bummer for you. Dusk till Dawn sold out last year (I didn't ride it) and it'll sell out this year (Ima' hit it), regardless of this innocuous post. Yeah, there's some spam-factor, but I don't reckon anyone's gonna get rich though.

Don't be a buzz-kill!

#46 ·
I haven't been on mtbr in quite some time and tuned back in yesterday when i heard about people blowing the whistle on my event. what kind of people call themselves mountain bikers and call race promotion by a guy most of us know by his first name "SPAM" ...who blows the whistle on 2 guys trying to put forth a grassroots effort and have a little friendly time trial on a holiday weekend?

I'm really speechless about the reaction here. I was just trying to infuse something new into what tiny inbred scene we have here. Ya know, 10 hours of riding around Pemberton ain't my thing either, but judging by how full the event is, i would say a lot of people enjoy it. It's rides like that which can hook spectators and beginners into a life of bike love...

I'm still going to keep trying.

#47 ·
I haven't been on mtbr in quite some time and tuned back in yesterday when i heard about people blowing the whistle on my event. what kind of people call themselves mountain bikers and call race promotion by a guy most of us know by his first name "SPAM" ...who blows the whistle on 2 guys trying to put forth a grassroots effort and have a little friendly time trial on a holiday weekend?

I'm really speechless about the reaction here. I was just trying to infuse something new into what tiny inbred scene we have here. Ya know, 10 hours of riding around Pemberton ain't my thing either, but judging by how full the event is, i would say a lot of people enjoy it. It's rides like that which can hook spectators and beginners into a life of bike love...

I'm still going to keep trying.
keep it up Dirty, its a great idea, i would have signed up in a sec if I didnt have plans. I hope you find a way to make it happen.

maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I didn't view epicrider as blowing any whistles, just clarifying facts about the rules. If someone did crap on your event, that truly sucks and that person is an a$$hat!

#50 ·
I've done this race twice and like it. Schedule conflict keeping me from it this year. I don't care that Dave is pimping the race. People need to make a living and if he picked up a few paying customers as a result of this thread, good for him.

#22 ·
^^^^ a FAR better spend of money IMHO riding some of the incredible trails of this state.

BTW, I understand that for many, it's not just about the course...it's about the racing experience, of which the course is just a part. Not my cup of tea, but understand others dig it. My rant here is more about how DCB promoted it as a post then posted again saying spots were filling up... I thought one of the rules of the forum was no selling... in my opinion, this is basically selling.
There exists a special hypocrisy here in the light of other "unsanctioned" events.............

#27 · (Edited)
yea...it is.....it's the double standard which stings. A grassroots event gets called out....an event that won't make a dime (all proceeds go to the beer drank in said event.....ohh, and some pie)......vs.a corporate sponsor who has a banner on our periphery, and then posts up.......

Yeah.....it's the profit thing......

Like Maude repeats the word vagina....over and over again....I repeat....

Periphery, Peripher, Periphrasis.....Periphrasis

I miss Maude.....I really do.....I will always miss maude...but I digress........

#31 ·
To be clear......no one....and I mean NO ONE....makes money on AES rides. These are gatherings of like minded individuals who like to see the beauty of this state.....and they're done because we like to talk about the beautiful sections of trail we all ride for fun.......a far cry from a corporate sponsor on your right that creates an account on this site with a post count of "5" and shills for more entry fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.