Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Good call on people straightening out this thread and refocusing it on local riding/racing stoke. I'm not a fan of the "guerrilla" type promo/advertising where you're duped into participating in the promo, which is the grumpy old man in me blossoming, which I know something about since I went out last week in sandals with socks and didn't care. A principled stance is better placed somewhere else rather than here, I guess. I've missed out on the other referenced drama......And bashing on Pemby as the red-headed step-child of the local trail-world is generally common, at least in the poke in the ribs way. I didn't intend to bash on the event itself.

I'm sure DCB goes a great job, or else they wouldn't be almost full. As my mind refocuses on riding and racing, and away from the ontological aspects of responsible by-the-books fully disclosed advertising better suited for another thread not tied to some local fun, I wish all participants to have a great event! I certainly didn't intend any ill will. If anything would make Pemby any more interesting, it would be riding with a few hundred other people. This is what the night ride series does out there. The last thing I want to do is decrease riding stoke, whatever the flavor, intentionally or unintentionally. Riding is the goal here, not flaming advertising methods or rule bending. Go get'm!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Since I switched to Sanka, I've been a d0o$h....sorry.....
    Coffee is my vice. I feel for you. I should send you some dunkin donuts. My parents keep shipping me pounds of it. Guess who has two thumbs and is not complaining?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Good call on people straightening out this thread and refocusing it on local riding/racing stoke. I'm not a fan of the "guerrilla" type promo/advertising where you're duped into participating in the promo, which is the grumpy old man in me blossoming, which I know something about since I went out last week in sandals with socks and didn't care. A principled stance is better placed somewhere else rather than here, I guess. I've missed out on the other referenced drama......And bashing on Pemby as the red-headed step-child of the local trail-world is generally common, at least in the poke in the ribs way. I didn't intend to bash on the event itself.

I'm sure DCB goes a great job, or else they wouldn't be almost full. As my mind refocuses on riding and racing, and away from the ontological aspects of responsible by-the-books fully disclosed advertising better suited for another thread not tied to some local fun, I wish all participants to have a great event! I certainly didn't intend any ill will. If anything would make Pemby any more interesting, it would be riding with a few hundred other people. This is what the night ride series does out there. The last thing I want to do is decrease riding stoke, whatever the flavor, intentionally or unintentionally. Riding is the goal here, not flaming advertising methods or rule bending. Go get'm!
    wow man, i havent cried like that since 'Titanic'

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    wow man, i havent cried like that since 'Titanic'

Thank you, thank you. Those are tears of joy, friendship and riding stoke, my friend, not tears of sadness. Remember that.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Any complaints and whining will be penalized with 10 laps on Pemberton trail......

BEHIND AN UNPASSABLE POSSE OF HORSEBACK RIDERS
    AND THROUGH STEAMING PILES OF HORSESHIT !!!!!!!!!

go ride, drink a beer, enjoy life

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is a lot of talk about grassroots. There is a difference between grassroots and underground. Underground needs to be kept on the DL. No facebook page. No paypal sign up. No MTBR.

There are certain events that happen every year and you'll still have a hard time figuring out how to join in if you don't know someone who knows.

I was signed up and stoked, but honestly surprised that it was promoted so openly. There is a need for this type of racing in AZ.

Thanks for trying DC.
    Last edited by TurtleGerl; 11-16-2012 at 06:02 AM.

I am Walt
    I'm doing this event solo. Deanna and I were going to do a duo as "Just Married", but now she's off the bike with her thumb surgery. I'll STILL be Just Married, though!

I'm thrilled to do this event, because I have upcoming shoulder surgery, and will be off the bike for 4-5 months. So I will savor any riding I can do until then.

I happen to enjoy Pemberton alot. Maybe it's not "cool", and "technical", and whatever, but it's nice desert mountain biking. And hammering race laps on a team, or riding it solo for 10 hours makes it pretty interesting, and challenging.

The organizer is a great guy, and ran/runs great events. He's just trying to promote mountain biking, and his event/business. Funny how Todd Sadow does the same thing, and he gets roasted as he tries to grow his business. Jeez...

BTW, the organizer is a great mountain biker...rocked the first Quad on his rigid SS, and finished towards the front!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Don't understand how MTB and the character of its participants has changed so much over the past two decades. 20 some years ago when I first started, no one got up in arms about who wore spandex, what "gnar" was and all the subdivisions of ths sport. Back then- some folks rode canal paths, some trails vaguely disguised as a canal path, others forged thier own way converting hiking and cow trails into thier flavor of choice when it came time to ride. Some liked to ride down, others preferred up and they still got along. Why? Because it was a common bond-two fat tires riding on something other than pavement.

These days, it seems we are required to pick sides and staunchly support them no matter what, even if that means losing the possible friend ship of our cousins because he yings and you yang.

I think most of the animosity in this thread is not about a promoter making money by slipping in a few posts on a site that he actually PAID for advetising in the form of a banner, but about the "grassroots vs. commercial" racing avenues. For all of you being indignant because you ride grassroot races, think about this. If the promoter stopped holding commercialized races, then there would be an influx of riders hitting up the grassroots events. They would get too big, come under the microscope of our flawed government nannies and then they too would would have to charge money to race to cover fees, insurance and whatnot (hint-this is how commercial races were born). Then bike snobs would ***** and moan that there are soo many people, it ruined thier vibe etc.

Point is, I could care less where you ride, what you ride it on, how you were dressed, how much you paid to do it and with whom- I just like to see and interact with people who love bikes and appreciate all the good things that bikes and riding bring into thier lives. So that is why I enjoy hanging around the internet with bike snobs, riding with folks dressed like stormtroopers and doing XC rides with euro-philes... because its all bikes, and it gets me away from the daily grind of bull puckey I get bombarded with all day long. That is why I can understand the Maad's, the Cholla's, and others I have butted heads with. I can understand that the type of rides they crave are not my cup of joe, but sure fun to read about, see pictures of and discuss. Bikes are a vessel to freedom-they are not like political or religious beliefs where it is encouraged to try to change the thoughts of others to reflect yours, or kill them because they are different. Enjoy your bikepacking you enlightened psychopaths. Keep the ER's busy and armor producers flush you gravity geeks. Make sure the spandex market stays viable and horse trails still have tire tracks you XC nerds. I will be right there with you, on bike or in spirit because thats what makes this sport great-its not boring!

In this state we have all the ingredients to make the most powerful and influential cycling groups in the USA if not the world. Between the sheer numbers of participants, the number of days we can partake, the amount of riding areas we have to use and the demographics we support (CEO's to Long Handle Operators, male, female, old, young, rich and poor) there is no reason why we should not have the best trails, rides, races of all types, laws supporting us on the trail and road, and sponsorship dollars from all the bike related companies to help subsidize it- right here in our own back yard. We have a lot of power and we do not use it. Heck-and that doesn't count road-only types. Maybe it is because most Arizonans are not "from here" and all of the different regional thoughts that don't meld easily when put together? That just means it is all of our fault for not embracing or at least recognizing other groups as viable alternatives healthy to the sport. Maybe there is too much power to organize? I don't believe that. I only wish I was in the position to be able to dedicate the time and resources to create a community of cyclists from all of the valuble assets and people we have in this state. Ride on friends. Disagreement is fine, but don't get petty-get sweaty.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^^well said.....I am officially a humbled a$$h0le....

Boriqua Puneta
    Sitting back and relaxing lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Only type of shuttle I ride....the ambulance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^^^well said.....I am officially a humbled a$$h0le....
    Maad- even though I kind of called you out, that was not my full or true intent. You have some of the most magnificent and stoke inducing posts and once in a while I read your posts and think WTF, dude needs a ride stat!

It is because you and others like you have passion for the sport and when we are passionate we sometimes react passionately. That is why there is the term- "crime of passion". Thanks for understanding
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^you hit the nail on the head.....those WTF posts....that's me not getting enough ride time in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I had lived in AZ the last 5 years and have participated in the Dawn to Dusk, numerous AZES events, Epic ride events, 4 Peaks events, Quad Bypass, you name it and I tried to ride it.
    I was transferred to Portland, OR six months ago and now sit on my couch and watch the weather reports for when I "may" get my next ride in on a trail that's one hour away, and that's the close one.
    I would give anything to be back in AZ and have the unlimited choices of when and where to ride on a daily basis. The sun must be baking your minds when all you have to b!%ch about is DCB filling up his last few spots. Just ride your bike and relax.
    Damn, and I was checking the AZ forums to see what I was missing back in AZ!!!!
    Guess I'll put my rain gear on and ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some of you all got a little verbose and I just skimmed through the posts, so pardon if I repeat anything that was said.

I personally like seeing shout-outs on races - profitable or not. I'm new to the racing scene and have no way of knowing what's out there to compete/have fun in except by word of mouth, forums, and google. Some races that I've seen shouted out on here haven't come up on my google searches. Maybe I'm a terrible googler, but I only have so much time to google. Every minute on google (or forums) is a minute not on my bike . Good luck everyone!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    You're on!!!! I'm going to start a Beat WoD Facebook page.
    Did you see how nice the forecast is for this year?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Weather looks perfect. Looking forward to this event since its my first D to D race. Mmm the beers are gonna taste so good after the ride

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Don't understand how MTB and the character of its participants has changed so much over the past two decades. 20 some years ago when I first started, no one got up in arms about who wore spandex, what "gnar" was and all the subdivisions of ths sport. Back then- some folks rode canal paths, some trails vaguely disguised as a canal path, others forged thier own way converting hiking and cow trails into thier flavor of choice when it came time to ride. Some liked to ride down, others preferred up and they still got along. Why? Because it was a common bond-two fat tires riding on something other than pavement.

These days, it seems we are required to pick sides and staunchly support them no matter what, even if that means losing the possible friend ship of our cousins because he yings and you yang.

I think most of the animosity in this thread is not about a promoter making money by slipping in a few posts on a site that he actually PAID for advetising in the form of a banner, but about the "grassroots vs. commercial" racing avenues. For all of you being indignant because you ride grassroot races, think about this. If the promoter stopped holding commercialized races, then there would be an influx of riders hitting up the grassroots events. They would get too big, come under the microscope of our flawed government nannies and then they too would would have to charge money to race to cover fees, insurance and whatnot (hint-this is how commercial races were born). Then bike snobs would ***** and moan that there are soo many people, it ruined thier vibe etc.

Point is, I could care less where you ride, what you ride it on, how you were dressed, how much you paid to do it and with whom- I just like to see and interact with people who love bikes and appreciate all the good things that bikes and riding bring into thier lives. So that is why I enjoy hanging around the internet with bike snobs, riding with folks dressed like stormtroopers and doing XC rides with euro-philes... because its all bikes, and it gets me away from the daily grind of bull puckey I get bombarded with all day long. That is why I can understand the Maad's, the Cholla's, and others I have butted heads with. I can understand that the type of rides they crave are not my cup of joe, but sure fun to read about, see pictures of and discuss. Bikes are a vessel to freedom-they are not like political or religious beliefs where it is encouraged to try to change the thoughts of others to reflect yours, or kill them because they are different. Enjoy your bikepacking you enlightened psychopaths. Keep the ER's busy and armor producers flush you gravity geeks. Make sure the spandex market stays viable and horse trails still have tire tracks you XC nerds. I will be right there with you, on bike or in spirit because thats what makes this sport great-its not boring!

In this state we have all the ingredients to make the most powerful and influential cycling groups in the USA if not the world. Between the sheer numbers of participants, the number of days we can partake, the amount of riding areas we have to use and the demographics we support (CEO's to Long Handle Operators, male, female, old, young, rich and poor) there is no reason why we should not have the best trails, rides, races of all types, laws supporting us on the trail and road, and sponsorship dollars from all the bike related companies to help subsidize it- right here in our own back yard. We have a lot of power and we do not use it. Heck-and that doesn't count road-only types. Maybe it is because most Arizonans are not "from here" and all of the different regional thoughts that don't meld easily when put together? That just means it is all of our fault for not embracing or at least recognizing other groups as viable alternatives healthy to the sport. Maybe there is too much power to organize? I don't believe that. I only wish I was in the position to be able to dedicate the time and resources to create a community of cyclists from all of the valuble assets and people we have in this state. Ride on friends. Disagreement is fine, but don't get petty-get sweaty.
    Best post I've read since I've been on mtbr. Well said!!!!

Need more cowbell
    What a fun event this year!

The weather was great and Chipotle really came through as a sponsor.
    The competition for this event seems to be getting really stiff as there were some REALLY fast times by multiple teams this time around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    What a fun event this year!

The weather was great and Chipotle really came through as a sponsor.
    The competition for this event seems to be getting really stiff as there were some REALLY fast times by multiple teams this time around.
    Yeah, the teams had some pretty tough competition with this one guy that was doing it solo...

Happy Trails
    This was awesome. I went 5 laps solo and called it a day. 80 miles. Sponsor Chipotle rocks>>>Free tacos! And Sunday Cycles weenie wagon brought dogs and beer, and peanut butter pretzels that got me thru lap 4. Weather Conditions perfect but I might bring shoe covers for lap 1 next year. Track a little dusty. Race logistics great except some Lancers who skipped the Start line down at the Comp Loops then jumped into Lap 1 once the pack showed up (hey, bro, it's your time, but you know who you are...). Feed station could have used some gels, but thanks, MM, for the protein drinks. Perfectamundo weather. Good blend of locals and outoftowners and over all a great vibe from the participants. I didn't hear of anyone getting hurt too badly, but saw some botanical learning moments on the cactuses. Heck yeah, next year I'll be back. Ill get 6 next year. Nice work Dave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM View Post
    Yeah, the teams had some pretty tough competition with this one guy that was doing it solo...
    Did I hear he did 11 laps? I want to see those lap times. He had to average about 57 min laps for over 9 hours. Sick.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Did I hear he did 11 laps? I want to see those lap times. He had to average about 57 min laps for over 9 hours. Sick.
    Yeah he did 11 laps.

He was going faster than 57 min laps, at least for most of the time. He and I were the first through after the first lap at 58min including the start climb, roughly a 50min lap (fastest of the day). My teammates did laps 2 and 3 with him at 51:45, then he was ahead of us for a about a lap. I doubt he had any laps over 56 minutes unless he had to stop at some point.

mtbr member
    Yeah I had a blast. My buddy convinced me to do it with him as a team and I am glad he did. We were able to get in 8 laps, so I was super excited about that. But my goodness the dirt roadies are fast! So a guy did eleven laps on his own? I was dying after 4, so good for him. Aside for a few people who took themselves way too seriously on the trail, and the final lap (wish I brought a light) it was a perfect event.

Need more cowbell
    Here are Eric's lap times...he's just not human.

Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 1 58:24.60
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 2 51:23.15
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 3 51:46.50
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 4 52:18.44
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 5 53:47.06
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 6 54:25.83
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 7 52:57.66
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 8 54:31.21
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 9 57:16.65
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 10 56:40.37
    Eric Marcotte 64 Lap 11 1:06:46

A plethora of pinatas
    Yea, Eric is a machine! Very impressive ride on the day for him.
    Marty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast