mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Dawn To Dusk parking and set up

Headed to McDowell this weekend for the Dawn to Dusk race, but I'm totally confused about the setup and parking. I am not camping onsite but want to secure my parking spot on Friday so I can come in on Saturday and not have to park at the overflow and shuttle to the venue. I had to do that the first year and it was a major bummer.

Does anybody have any advice on how to set up at this race the day before and get in to the venue on Saturday morning? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whee! View Post
    Headed to McDowell this weekend for the Dawn to Dusk race, but I'm totally confused about the setup and parking. I am not camping onsite but want to secure my parking spot on Friday so I can come in on Saturday and not have to park at the overflow and shuttle to the venue. I had to do that the first year and it was a major bummer.

Does anybody have any advice on how to set up at this race the day before and get in to the venue on Saturday morning? Thanks!
    I'm dropping my **** off with a teammate Friday, and then parking in the overflow parking lot near the park entrance and biking up.

The only other time I did the race, I actually camped out Friday, so it was not an issue. I've heard from others that trying to get into the park on Saturday a.m. is kind of hard... But that's all second hand, so hopefully others will chime in.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    My teammate is setting up Friday, picking up the packets, and going back home and we are meeting there early in the morning. He told me that I'll be parking by the race loops and riding in, but that it's no big deal and usually all goes smoothly. He has done it several times. Hope this helps.

I am meeting him at 5 though, and he will be parking in the normal spot, since he will have the pass.

livin' the dream......
    Last time I did this solo, got there saturday morning and did the check in thing in the overflow lot and was then allowed to drive to the venue area and was directed into a spot in the dirt lot. It is very easy to get blocked in, I was fortunate to have an end spot. It was one parking pass per team/solo rider.

Not sure if this changed, my experience is from 2010.

Rhino
    I'm better at riding my bike than reading or following directions. However I found this on the website.

"** ALL REGISTRANTS WILL BE GIVEN ONE PARKING PASS PER TEAM. ONLY THOSE WITH PARKING PASSES WILL BE ALLOWED ONTO SHALAMO DRIVE, AND IT WILL BE FIRST COME FIRST SERVE CAMPING **

No SOLO specific area will be set aside... so plan on a Friday load in... even if it's to secure your 10X10 area with a moose. Day of parking will be located at the race start at the competitive track overflow lot. Plan ahead, and don't tell us you didn't know 'cause its the 4th year doing this."

Need more cowbell
    You have seen the videos of the riots at Walmart on black friday, right?
    Yeah....it's worse in the Pemberton lot Saturday morning trying to find a parking spot. There is a reason so many people show up Friday early and camp.

mtbr member
    From the details email last Wednesday:

"- All registrants will be given a parking pass in accordance with the above plan. Friday, you MUST have this parking pass in your designated area in order to secure it. Saturday, no one without a parking pass will be allowed into the venue.

- No SOLO specific area will be set aside... It is recommended that you plan on loading in on Friday. This can be to secure your 10X10 area and leave. Please note you're your 10X10 area IS your parking space, and you will not be allowed to take up 2 spaces by driving in race day."

This will be my first dawn to dusk and I'm solo'ing.... How do I "secure" my 10x10? Once I do, then it will not be a nightmare to get back in later on Friday? On Saturday? I'll prob just camp but it would be nice to be able to come and go.

Thanks,

Meatbomb
    Sounds like a cluster for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slat3dx View Post

This will be my first dawn to dusk and I'm solo'ing.... How do I "secure" my 10x10? Once I do, then it will not be a nightmare to get back in later on Friday? On Saturday? I'll prob just camp but it would be nice to be able to come and go.

Thanks,
    Firearms and foul language

mtbr member
    Ahh firearms thanks for the reminder. I'll plan to be armed to the teeth then and ready to defend my spot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There are still spots available in the campground; just checked
    OVER the rocks, not around

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    You have seen the videos of the riots at Walmart on black friday, right?
    Yeah....it's worse in the Pemberton lot Saturday morning trying to find a parking spot. There is a reason so many people show up Friday early and camp.
    Well played. You pretty much nailed it!! Enjoy!!

Meatbomb
    Sounds like they need to reduce the number of slots they sell a little. Black Friday attitudes at a race event does not sound like a positive thing.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    park at falcon field,, charter 10 minutes for a direct drop-in.. KMB Helicopters, LLC

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^win