Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the rear with the beer

Dawn to Dusk - Game on

I'm liking the Tonto trail as part of the loop. Who's going? (i'm totally digging the new logo).
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    (i'm totally digging the new logo).
    I don't know why, but when I looked at the logo, I started chuckling as this dialogue starting going through my head, thinking SOMEONE will work really hard to be offended…

Ian: "I mean, what's offensive?"
    Bobbi: "Ian, you put a greased naked woman..."
    Ian: "Yes..."
    Bobbi: "..on all fours..."
    Ian: "Yes."
    Bobbi: "...with a dog collar around her neck..."
    Ian: "...with a dog collar..."
    Bobbi: "...and a leash..."
    Ian: "...and a leash..."
    Bobbi: "...and a man's arm extended out up to here holding on to the leash and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive, you don't find that sexist?"
    Ian: "No I don't, this is 1982."

(LOL…side note, NO I AM NOT OFFENDED BY D-TO-D logo…don't care…just one of those "stream of consciousness" things!~!~?)
    Last edited by C.J.; 11-25-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I'm in!

I'm liking the Tonto trail as part of the loop. Who's going? (i'm totally digging the new logo).
    I'm excited, this will be my first race like this. I'm doing it as part of a duo with my bf. I'm hoping he'll carry us a little with lap times cause I really don't think I'll be able to break 1:25

Okay I must be a dork and didn't read the entire write up on the race, but where is Tonto trail? Is that before the rocky area out towards dixie mine?

Yeah, not a big fan of the logo - It reminds me of those mudflaps with the girls on them you see on those big ol' trucks. You know which ones I'm talkin' about?

Tiff

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    but where is Tonto trail? Is that before the rocky area out towards dixie mine?

Yeah, not a big fan of the logo - It reminds me of those mudflaps with the girls on them you see on those big ol' trucks. You know which ones I'm talkin' about?

Tiff
    Yep, Tonto trail breakoff the main trail befroe you get to the rocky area. Its right around the bench that is out there. It'll be a pretty fast descent, smooth trail except a ton of water bars, goes down into a big wash and joins back up wtih the trail in the general sandy area 1 mile or so from the trailhead.

I'm thinking if i were a trucker, I would totally have those mud flaps or maybe the ones with Yosemite Sam that say "back off".
    Salvation Outdoor

pedaller
    C'mon Tiff, you always ride in stiletto heels, right?

and tell me more about this bf of yours...

Yosemite Sam rocks!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yep, Tonto trail breakoff the main trail befroe you get to the rocky area. Its right around the bench that is out there. It'll be a pretty fast descent, smooth trail except a ton of water bars, goes down into a big wash and joins back up wtih the trail in the general sandy area 1 mile or so from the trailhead.

I'm thinking if i were a trucker, I would totally have those mud flaps or maybe the ones with Yosemite Sam that say "back off".
    Okay, yes I remember seeing the sign for Tonto and where it links up to the main trail.
    I liked that rocky section, it kept it interesting. Grrrr, more waterbars!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    C'mon Tiff, you always ride in stiletto heels, right?

and tell me more about this bf of yours...

Yosemite Sam rocks!
    Noel,

Hehe, yep I've got the stiletto's ready!

Tiff

"Yabut"
    I'll be there, riding duo with Slugobikes. Let's hope it's a tad bit drier than last year.

The logo kicks ass!
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Ridin bikes is fun
    Okay I must be a dork and didn't read the entire write up on the race, but where is Tonto trail? Is that before the rocky area out towards dixie mine?
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/7186644

Tiffany, this is the GPS from one of my laps on Saturday. You would know about Tonto if you would have been there like you said you would. But I'll hook you up anyway. If you look at the map in satellite mode and zoom in, you can see where Pemberton continues on at the top of the page. The Tonto trail is about 50 yards past the bench. This route cuts off about 1.4 miles of the course and it is very fast. So you should easily beet 1:25 on this course.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/7186644

Tiffany, this is the GPS from one of my laps on Saturday. You would know about Tonto if you would have been there like you said you would. But I'll hook you up anyway. If you look at the map in satellite mode and zoom in, you can see where Pemberton continues on at the top of the page. The Tonto trail is about 50 yards past the bench. This route cuts off about 1.4 miles of the course and it is very fast. So you should easily beet 1:25 on this course.

Yeah I'm such a FLAKE, sorry about saturday. I obviously don't do early very well! Thanks for the map.

I'm so tired of riding Pemberton right now, but I'm gonna go ride the correct route tomorrow just to time myself. DAMN I'm such a roadie huh! I know Will can kick @ss on the course and so it would be cool if I could pull a decent lap time.

Tiff

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

LOL
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

swashbucklerette
    I'll be there with a friend of mine (we're duo female). Love the logo!

livin' the dream......
    You can haul a$$ down Tonto. On the fence about this event due to other pending family commitments..............we'll see.

A women's duo team should dress like the models in the logo, heels and all. they would be my favorite team ever!!
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A women's duo team should dress like the models in the logo, heels and all. they would be my favorite team ever!!
    I hope you're just kidding.... but in case you're not, I'll add a few things... .

Why do women have to be put in stupid poses like that? Why do advertisers use the sex sells idea and people still buy into that crap and don’t see its degrading to women. And yes, I’ll say it, we are not objects.

So I hope that the event promoters take the high road next year and if they want to use women in their ads that they don’t use ones in high heels and in some ridiculous pose on a bike. Instead gets some bad @ss chick actually riding her bike! I know, not as sexy huh?

Feminist rant done……………..

Tiff

I hope you're just kidding.... but in case you're not, I'll add a few things... .

Why do women have to be put in stupid poses like that? Why do advertisers use the sex sells idea and people still buy into that crap and don’t see its degrading to women. And yes, I’ll say it, we are not objects.

So I hope that the event promoters take the high road next year and if they want to use women in their ads that they don’t use ones in high heels and in some ridiculous pose on a bike. Instead gets some bad @ss chick actually riding her bike! I know, not as sexy huh?

Tiff
    Whoa, my bad.....

besides, I can't imagine that you can attach cleats to heels anyway.....
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Yosemite Sam rocks!
    Your taste in Looney Tunes characters sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i think i am doing a duo at the race. tonto is part of it?? so how long is loop?

mx

mtbr member
    I am in for Solo Singlespeed... I am really hoping for a repeat of last year with rain and lightning and flash floods and just generally nasty conditions for the entire race... that would be swell.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Myself and three buddies will be out from Albuquerque (2 duo teams). This will be my first 12 hour race and only my second race in all. Should be a blast!

Kathleen in AZ

Tiff
    I totally agree!!! I had not yet looked at this thread but came on this morning to say something like "just get the damn race done so that the sexist & ridiculous D-to-D banners will disappear. What jerk (not you Dirdir) decided to advertise with mudflap ho's? Does this represent mtn bike racing? Dawn to Dusk = angelgirl to shedevil? I don't see the logic, I don't see the appeal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I am in for Solo Singlespeed... I am really hoping for a repeat of last year with rain and lightning and flash floods and just generally nasty conditions for the entire race... that would be swell.
    Tom, I won't be there this year, but I'm sending my man Z-Rocks up there to throw down for me! Be gentle!

+1 on sloppy conditions for y'all! Almost loosing the EZ-Up we were camped under the night before the race due to the high winds and sideways rain won't be forgotten any time soon! That race was friggen EPIC!!!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I totally agree!!! I had not yet looked at this thread but came on this morning to say something like "just get the damn race done so that the sexist & ridiculous D-to-D banners will disappear. What jerk (not you Dirdir) decided to advertise with mudflap ho's? Does this represent mtn bike racing? Dawn to Dusk = angelgirl to shedevil? I don't see the logic, I don't see the appeal.

Im with you two! Seriously?
    Save it for the the truckers!
    Don't even want the Tshirt from this event!

Dave - what's the deal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbergace
    Im with you two! Seriously?
    Save it for the the truckers!
    Don't even want the Tshirt from this event!

Dave - what's the deal?
    can i have your t-shirt?

mx

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Your taste in Looney Tunes characters sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    OK stinky-tire...

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl

I agree with everything but the last sentence. It's not a coincidence that there are so many frames with women's names (and the ensuing nausea-inducing sex metaphors).

Saucy Size
    What? That logo offers something to everyone!

* Girlie silhouettes are the height of blue-collar chic. If you drink and like PBR (and not for the ironic value), you can't go wrong with girlie silhouettes. Throw the horns for the girlies!

* If you're an uptight moralist, it gives you something to point at as an indicator what's wrong with the country today

* If you're an arrogant snoot, they let you know who you're better/richer/smarter than -- the dumbasses are throwing horns and drinking PBR, and the uptight moralists are busy condemning them and making the sign of the cross.

Being firmly in the third category, I wholly endorse silhouette girls. I was pretty sure I was better/richer/smarter than the rest of y'all, but now I know for sure.

p.
    ...was actually kind of meh to the design, and proudly wears a pair of mudflap-girl bike socks

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

It's All Good!

Its all good - keep the mud flap chicks - just add in a buff mud flap dude (yummy!) and then we are good to go!

Which one of you fellas wants to sport the mudflap dudes on your ride!!

ha ha

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Does anyone know if pre-running the course is allowed on Friday afternoon? I plan on showing up somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:00pm, yet the rest of my team won't be there until late at night and/or early Saturday, so I figured that getting to know the course would be a good way to kill some time if it's allowed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Notch Johnson
    Does anyone know if pre-running the course is allowed on Friday afternoon? I plan on showing up somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:00pm, yet the rest of my team won't be there until late at night and/or early Saturday, so I figured that getting to know the course would be a good way to kill some time if it's allowed.
    i think so. the 24hr event had people on the course the night before

mx

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    can i have your t-shirt?

mx
    I'll arm-wrestle you for it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    I'll arm-wrestle you for it!

i thought you didn't want it?

mx

swashbucklerette

i thought you didn't want it?

mx
    No I definitely do! My last race shirt has a cartoon turkey wearing a sports bra and running skirt. Would be nice to have a race shirt without hideous artwork.

My other ride is your mom
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women....man!

Dave

Camping

Anybody know anything about the camping? Where ? How much? I think we're stagging in the Pemb. parking area right? I need info on the camping Friday night????
    I need to ride more and work less.

"Yabut"
    No I definitely do! My last race shirt has a cartoon turkey wearing a sports bra and running skirt. Would be nice to have a race shirt without hideous artwork.
    From what I hear, the women are getting tank tops.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

A plethora of pinatas
    Next year's logo...

Marty

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    "I want a lawyer…like William ****sler…or Ron Kooobe"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women....man!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i thought you were one of the feminists?

mx

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Next year's logo...

That is halarious!!!!!!!!

Saucy Size
    i thought you were one of the feminists?

mx
    Um...not so much.

Proudly presented on her Facebook page last month. You go girl!

p.

This thread just got real interesting!!
    Salvation Outdoor

I'm pretty sure it is fine. Probably people riding all afternoon...and into the night (i'm gonna try to sneak in a night lap for kicks)
    Salvation Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Anybody know anything about the camping? Where ? How much? I think we're stagging in the Pemb. parking area right? I need info on the camping Friday night????
    DCB website lays it out pretty well. I believe there is camping at the pemberton trailhead, exchange tent it actually further north the road where the trail crosses the road again. Solo's can actually set up near the exchange tent. He's got pictures up of the area showing what is where.
    Salvation Outdoor

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

Proudly presented on her Facebook page last month. You go girl!

p.
    I keep telling people it's my new form of core workouts, but for some reason they don't believe me.

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    From what I hear, the women are getting tank tops.
    Sweet! DCB shirts are always cute for the women. Benjes tries to get girlie tops or tanks rather than blocky T-shirts. I have enough blocky T-shirts. And too many with bad graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How many laps did you all complete? What was your best lap time? My dad and I only completed 6 total with my best time around 1:02.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    DCB website lays it out pretty well. I believe there is camping at the pemberton trailhead, exchange tent it actually further north the road where the trail crosses the road again. Solo's can actually set up near the exchange tent. He's got pictures up of the area showing what is where.
    this could not be further from the truth. they did an incredibly poor job with the whole venue parking and camping . it was a joke...the set-up

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G14it
    How many laps did you all complete? What was your best lap time? My dad and I only completed 6 total with my best time around 1:02.
    good job! our duo did 8. my best might have been 1 hour...or maybe about the same. i have to see their results. i couldn't get accurate readings on my garmin because i would always forget to hit the buttons by a couple of minutes or longer.

also, how were they getting time? just recording by person with stop watches?

mx

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Christi and I did five laps on the tandem......So,does that count as ten????

Cheers Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot

Cheers Billy

It should!

Either way, you guys reigned supreme yesterday! 12-Hour Champs!

Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1

It should!

Either way, you guys reigned supreme yesterday! 12-Hour Champs!
    thanks Greg
    sure am sore today all be walking funny for awhile...sorry you had a slime grenade
    Darwin was an Optimist

swashbucklerette
    My friend and I did 7, she did 3 and I did 4, with my best at 1:26 (from Garmin). We were in the camp area and exchanged there, so it worked really well. I liked being in the camp area. I came in in the dark under a headlamp and was the last official finisher across the line. That last lap hurt and sucked in so many ways, but I got it done being fueled on de-fizzed Coke and Snickers bars.

It was nice to see the course in DRY conditions, and it's a really fun trail! We saw some guys trail runnning getting ready for the Pemberton 50K run in Feb. Everytime I saw them on their training run I gave them a "good job". I was much happier being on the bike at that point. After the last lap, not so much.

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    this could not be further from the truth. they did an incredibly poor job with the whole venue parking and camping . it was a joke...the set-up

mx
    I completely agree... I was incredibly disappointed with the whole split venue, camp here - start there debacle. DCB needs to do a MUCH better job of planning these events and educating their staff on what to tell participants. We had conflicting info from a variety of event staff that led to us running back and forth between the camp site and the start/finish area a couple of times in the morning (right as the race started) before finally settling into a pit way down the road from the exchange tent.

During the day the race went smooth, until the end when the DCB staff told us that our last lap (which was starting at something like 3:30) wouldn't count because our rider wouldn't be back by 4:20. WTF? Their schedule clearly stated that "4:20 p.m. - Must be on course for last lap". It was as if they were persuading us not to go back out... were they tired of being there or something?? Our rider finished his lap and low and behold, they DID count our last lap... just don't understand why they would tell us that.

DCB also needs to acknowledge the fact that a lot of people who attend these races are not from the PHX area, and the idea of traveling back down to the valley to pick up an award, or a t-shirt (because they ran out) at a local PHX bike shop is ridiculous. I would think that a small portion of our $200 entry fee could easily cover a USPS, FedEx, or UPS Ground shipment.

Now that I've ranted about how disappointed I am with DCB, I can say that the race itself, and the course, was pretty good. That was only my 2nd time to MMP, and first ride on Pemberton. FWIW, this was also my first race on my SS, and first ever team event. As Greg mentioned, the course was fun, but I don't think it was ideal for SS... not enough quick, steep up's to take advantage of the SS climbing style, and the long downhill and road section had us spun out for a long time, but it was fun nonetheless. I also would like to know the story behind the 41,256 water bars...

By the end of the day we had racked up 8 laps and had a lot of fun riding our bikes in the desert. Big ups to to Kyle and the Spot boys for laying it down lap after lap... you guys rock!!
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

meow
    We did a female geared duo and came in 3rd, not bad for a couple of old girls! I had a blast , the course was super fast and I turned in 4 consistent laps.

We hung with another team and debated whether to set up near the venue or at Pemberton TH, glad we decided to stay near the venue. The mid afternoon decision to extend the last rider out to 4:30 was nice for some teams, and I agree that they could have done a much better job with communicating that and other important info. Having the venue and camping in one spot instead of splitting it would solve much of that.

I think the availability of parking is what drove the layout. Trying to jam everyone into the pemberton lot would have been impossible since there were so many more people this year than last year. The park probably didn't allow parking along the roads near the trailhead, but they do allow it around where the venue was. I think dcb was trying to do the best they could logistically given the rules laid down by the park, the park layout, and the anticipated crowd, etc.
    At the end of the day, if everyone had a good day on the bike....it was a good day!!
    Salvation Outdoor

Master Gardener
    At the beginning of the day, they announced over the P.A. that the course would be closed at 4:30 because that would give people time to complete their last lap before "it got really dark by 5:30 or so."

I stood by the transition tent between 3:30 and 4:30 and they were telling everyone that came in during that time that "this was your last lap," meaning the one they just finished. It was confusing. Still... lots of fun, well-run event and I'll be there next year if I can.
    Last edited by Velokid1; 12-07-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Saucy Size
    That sounds like bad communication with the event people. I mean, the rules are fairly clear aren't they? They do a similar thing at other 12H and DTD races I've been to.

p.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Our Results

I had a great time! We did co-ed duo and we did 8 laps. I'm still a little bummed that we couldn't do our ninth, cut off was 4:30 and I came into the campground for my exchange at 4:32 and Will still needed to get down to the start, so we were about 6 minutes too late............

Best lap goes to Will at 1:02! My best lap 1:13!

The trail was super fast!

Tiff

mtbr member
    This was a really fun event... and a lot better with the course being dry!! Everyone was super cool during the race and it was fun hanging out the night before and and after the race.

This was a tough one with a lot of categories really close! I managed to win the solo singlespeed with 9 laps, but the gap to second place was 10 minutes... and that pretty much lasted from lap 3-9... very tight race that was a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cheers Billy
    i can't imagine doing tandem. can you put it into some perspective for those of us that have no experience...?

1) is pemberton considered an easy trail for tandem? average? could you do the competitive loops with it as well? or would that be an example of too technical?

2) what kind of ave speed could you hold on the gradual climb for the 6 mi or so in the beginning of course? when i was feeling fresher, i was able to maintain 14 mph at times. expert/pro/CAT 1 road guys were still blowing by me...but 14 mph was fast enough to hardly get passed. (sadly, i later bonked)

3) is balance an issue on some of those corners where you could see a lot of people had almost missed? or like where you picked up tonto?

thanks!

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I completely agree... I was incredibly disappointed with the whole split venue, camp here - start there debacle. DCB needs to do a MUCH better job of planning these events and educating their staff on what to tell participants. We had conflicting info from a variety of event staff that led to us running back and forth between the camp site and the start/finish area a couple of times in the morning (right as the race started) before finally settling into a pit way down the road from the exchange tent.

During the day the race went smooth, until the end when the DCB staff told us that our last lap (which was starting at something like 3:30) wouldn't count because our rider wouldn't be back by 4:20. WTF? Their schedule clearly stated that "4:20 p.m. - Must be on course for last lap". It was as if they were persuading us not to go back out... were they tired of being there or something?? Our rider finished his lap and low and behold, they DID count our last lap... just don't understand why they would tell us that.

DCB also needs to acknowledge the fact that a lot of people who attend these races are not from the PHX area, and the idea of traveling back down to the valley to pick up an award, or a t-shirt (because they ran out) at a local PHX bike shop is ridiculous. I would think that a small portion of our $200 entry fee could easily cover a USPS, FedEx, or UPS Ground shipment.

Now that I've ranted about how disappointed I am with DCB, I can say that the race itself, and the course, was pretty good. That was only my 2nd time to MMP, and first ride on Pemberton. FWIW, this was also my first race on my SS, and first ever team event. As Greg mentioned, the course was fun, but I don't think it was ideal for SS... not enough quick, steep up's to take advantage of the SS climbing style, and the long downhill and road section had us spun out for a long time, but it was fun nonetheless. I also would like to know the story behind the 41,256 water bars...

By the end of the day we had racked up 8 laps and had a lot of fun riding our bikes in the desert. Big ups to to Kyle and the Spot boys for laying it down lap after lap... you guys rock!!
    i agree. i was not trying to be a jerk before.

there was NO cohesiveness to this whole event. everyone can play kiss a$$ here or they could give constructive criticism for a better event next year.

it was poorly thought out for the racers, racers families, and spectating. as a racer, it is nice to have the spectators around. however, when you have parking all over creation this is difficult. exchanges should take place in ONE spot. i understand it worked out for others to exchange elsewhere...which is fine since it was such a cluster f*** this time

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    We did a female geared duo and came in 3rd, not bad for a couple of old girls! I had a blast , the course was super fast and I turned in 4 consistent laps.

We hung with another team and debated whether to set up near the venue or at Pemberton TH, glad we decided to stay near the venue. The mid afternoon decision to extend the last rider out to 4:30 was nice for some teams, and
    I agree that they could have done a much better job with communicating that and other important info. Having the venue and camping in one spot instead of splitting it would solve much of that.
    yeah...and not having the music blaring in your ears at an exchange site where sometimes important info needed to be discussed.

you don't try to squeeze all that stuff in on a 12 ft wide road. the campers should have gone elsewhere...not take up the whole trail head parking lot.

the start finish should be in a big clearing so spectators can conveniently cheer people on. instead, people were sitting in their vehicles a mile away.

they should have just had the main location down at the competitive track parking lots and had us ride up the pavement to the pemberton trail....it wouldn't have been much different than the road section we were on.

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had a great time! We did co-ed duo and we did 8 laps. I'm still a little bummed that we couldn't do our ninth, cut off was 4:30 and I came into the campground for my exchange at 4:32 and Will still needed to get down to the start, so we were about 6 minutes too late............

Best lap goes to Will at 1:02! My best lap 1:13!

The trail was super fast!

Tiff
    super job guys, those are great times!

mx

pedaller
    Good job Billy & Christi!

[mispost}
    Salvation Outdoor

[mispost}

ah...you can say it!....

thanks Noelg
    Darwin was an Optimist

ah...you can say it!....

Went to church today...trying to follow the golden rule....
    Salvation Outdoor

Master Gardener
    Went to church today...trying to follow the golden rule....
    It was just a few paragraphs discussing how disappointing it was that there wasn't a single damn mudflap girl on the entire course.

I was expecting something like WWF ring girls at every trail intersection, pointing the way with their 'assets.'

I was expecting something like WWF ring girls at every trail intersection, pointing the way with their 'assets.'
    Now that would have been awesome!!! Let's cross our fingers for next year!!
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i think the event was awesome and i had a GREAT time! (but i always have a great time when on my bike. i only have one negative comment to make and that would be to any of those riders who left their garbage (i.e. gel wrappers, banana peels, tubes, etc.) all over the trails. you are pigs!!!! take your garbage with you!!!! Greg i saw you come in with your tube over your shoulder and chest you should give classes to the others who think they are too good to carry their own garbage back to the garbage cans.

Great ride, Great event, good times!!!
    Last edited by humbtrfly; 12-08-2008 at 01:05 PM.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    LIkewise, I saw the guy carrying the tube back. That was refreshing. I did notice though that most of the gel packs were congregated near the road pylons going up to the singletrack. I hope those that dropped their's went back afterwards and cleaned them up.

I did 7 laps solo singlespeed in my first solo endurance event. I didn't eat nearly enough. I should work on that.

I camped with another 4-some that was right on course in the Pemby parking lot. I was able to exit easy, resupply and get back on course. The 4-some did the same swapping the card right there instead of at the lap count area. I saw teams that didn't have convenient course access making their swap work by having riders chill out at spots on the course other than at the exchange area. I think thing went well otherwise.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by humbtrfly
    Greg i saw you come in with your tube over your shoulder and chest you should give classes to the others i think they are too good to carry their own garbage back to the garbage cans!!
    Thanks. Never again will I use that Slime stuff. What a nightmare that was. It took me 35 minutes to get back on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have only raced twice now, but I wondered whether people went back for their bottles and trash. Its just as easy to stick the empty gel packet in your jersey pocket.....its not like its clean anyway!

Thanks. Never again will I use that Slime stuff. What a nightmare that was. It took me 35 minutes to get back on the trail.
    nice use of color in your post Greg
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    nice use of color in your post Greg
    I thought so, too... but then YOU just had to go and show me up!

For a moment, I thought my computer monitor had turned into a Light Brite.

Quote Originally Posted by AbqStumpy
    I have only raced twice now, but I wondered whether people went back for their bottles and trash. Its just as easy to stick the empty gel packet in your jersey pocket.....its not like its clean anyway!
    well said...as you gain experience you get to trash the place...(so it seems)

I think there mom is going out to pick up after them...shame
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Cheers Billy
    That is amazing! You should have heard the chatter when you came by every lap. People were more than a little impressed.

I wish we had time for another lap or two. That was a fast course.

Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    That is amazing! You should have heard the chatter when you came by every lap. People were more than a little impressed.

I wish we had time for another lap or two. That was a fast course.
    Thanks Christophe,
    I'm pay'n for it...on the third lap we lost the chain and I could not get off the bike my legs were ready to cramp up I had to lay the bike down and step over it, ouch!...so we stopped at camp got some eats and drinks and worked on the bike (I took a nap) forth lap We felt good the fifth...tired, but I think I could have done another but was glad we had no more time....beside Christi would have killed me if I started a sixth lap

So next year six maybe?...if we can keep Christi injury free and I drink more water days before the race...Hell, we might even train next year

hopefully, we'll get more long bikes next time...come on guys its fun

Cheers Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

DCB had some guys riding every once in a while picking up trash. I talked to them after a loop, they said it was pretty bad...not just goo wrappers but a lot of lost bottles.

Just because there are sweepers, that is no excuse to drop your junk. Its really just bad mojo. I hope karma gives them a flat in each tire for each time they dropped stuff on the trail.

Sandbaggers, litterers, and rude riders......if they had been around when Dante wrote the inferno, i'm sure they would have been specifically mentioned in one of the rings of hell.
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    I lost a bottle and I don't know where? I tried looking for it on my other laps but never saw it. I hope my karma still stays good because I tried to locate and recover it but failed

mtbr member
    I lost a knee warmer....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The cheapie in me almost made me stop to pick up some water bottles to take home. I came close to stopping for that extra large CO2 cartridge I saw near the start of the descent.

IMO...I think stuff falling off the bike is forgivable (but should be avoided) but just throwing
    garbage on the trail (or anywhere for that matter) is a despicable act

as for that knee warmer....I hope it is never found
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    May 2008

Tubeless my brother! Thats the way to go and you can borrow my compressor any time

Quote Originally Posted by scanjok
    I lost a bottle and I don't know where? I tried looking for it on my other laps but never saw it. I hope my karma still stays good because I tried to locate and recover it but failed
    Bottles falling happen, they aren't a big sin, I don't think. I had one fall off my seat post rack during El Tour while I was leading a pace line...that pissed off a couple folks, but they were wheel suckers anyway. Going back to look for your bottle actually probably gets you karma credits!!
    Salvation Outdoor

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ
    Tubeless my brother! Thats the way to go and you can borrow my compressor any time
    Already trying to figure out how to fit it into my budget, my man! I'll be damned if I get a flat at Pueblo... learned my lesson.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Already trying to figure out how to fit it into my budget, my man! I'll be damned if I get a flat at Pueblo... learned my lesson.

PM me if you need help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what was the issue? why did it take so long?

i use stans in my tubes...but i want to know what happened to you so i can maybe avoid it.

mx

Master Gardener
    what was the issue? why did it take so long?

i use stans in my tubes...but i want to know what happened to you so i can maybe avoid it.

mx
    I know this is boring to everyone, so I'll make it super short so you can learn from my unpreparedness.

People down there in the desert go on about Slime; you can't ride without it, they say. So I throw a Slime tube in there in the name of prudence. Pinch flat 1/2 way through the first lap. Unprepared, I only have glueless patches. Slime freakin' everywhere... I try to clean off the snakebite and apply patches. Then waste my only CO2 cartridge trying to inflate the tire (patches won't adhere to a surface that's had Slime on it). So now I have to bum a tube off of a willing 29" donor.... then bum air off of the next willing donor. Really nice gentleman gives me a CO2 cart... non-threaded. Darn it. So I have to wait for the next fella... who has a road pump. Takes me 5 minutes to get the tire up to 20 lbs and gingerly roll through the rest of the lap.

The snakebite holes were each about 1/16", at the most... Slime sucks, in my opinion.

meow
    I saw a lone Cliff Block on the jeep road on my third lap and it was looking pretty good to me when I passed it again on lap four

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I know this is boring to everyone, so I'll make it super short so you can learn from my unpreparedness.

People down there in the desert go on about Slime; you can't ride without it, they say. So I throw a Slime tube in there in the name of prudence. Pinch flat 1/2 way through the first lap. Unprepared, I only have glueless patches. Slime freakin' everywhere... I try to clean off the snakebite and apply patches. Then waste my only CO2 cartridge trying to inflate the tire (patches won't adhere to a surface that's had Slime on it). So now I have to bum a tube off of a willing 29" donor.... then bum air off of the next willing donor. Really nice gentleman gives me a CO2 cart... non-threaded. Darn it. So I have to wait for the next fella... who has a road pump. Takes me 5 minutes to get the tire up to 20 lbs and gingerly roll through the rest of the lap.

The snakebite holes were each about 1/16", at the most... Slime sucks, in my opinion.
    oh okay. but you won your class or something? are you expert/pro?

don't you carry a spare tube usually? stans wouldn't have been any better in this case.

i usually drill my rims to schrader and then use stans and carry co2 and a pump and a tube. not exactly svelte, but....

mx

i can't imagine doing tandem. can you put it into some perspective for those of us that have no experience...? thanks!
    mx
    1) is pemberton considered an easy trail for tandem? average? could you do the competitive loops with it as well? or would that be an example of too technical?

I can only speek for us. But Pemberton is way easy...I haven't rode the competitive loops
    in years and as I remember there might be a couple of spots we may have to hike-a-bike
    but I'm sure we could ride most of it. we are up here in Prescott, we ride single track most of the time and clean most of the switchbacks up here as well. (it helps to have a fearless stoker)

2) what kind of ave speed could you hold on the gradual climb for the 6 mi or so in the beginning of course? when i was feeling fresher, i was able to maintain 14 mph at times. expert/pro/CAT 1 road guys were still blowing by me...but 14 mph was fast enough to hardly get passed. (sadly, i later bonked)

as for up hill speed we're slow...no speed-o (I was sick and my stoker has been plagued with injures all summer so we did almost no training for this race) although we did pass a lot of folks in the sand on the first lap. our time from the start to the top of the climb (fence line) was about 35 to 45 min. our first lap was our fastest at 1:31:28 with a 5 min stop at camp.

"expert/pro/CAT 1 road guys were still blowing by me"...don't feel bad little kids were blowing by us at end

3) is balance an issue on some of those corners where you could see a lot of people had almost missed? or like where you picked up tonto?

I'm not sure where you are referring to but balance can be an issue but not on this course.
    I did put it down on that one water bar lap 2 (think you know the one)....don't know what I was thinking sometimes on a tandem it's better to plow over stuff than take the single-bike line.On the down hills the tandem rocks and the long wheel base makes it very stable we could have gone much faster but the dam water bars made it very hard on my stoker's knees and I didn't help by trying to sprint out of each one. oh you asked about technical stuff...One thing about a tandem, they are very hard to endo or as my stoker calls it OTB..."over the Billy"

Hope this helps...more tandems next year
    Last edited by befoot; 12-09-2008 at 06:59 AM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    May 2008

Did this happen on the first lap? My teammate said he saw someone nursing a flat home on lap 1. I could totally see pinch flatting on that little rocky section right before the long descent. Thanks to tubeless and stans, I rolled through that (though slowly at lap 4).

Greg

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    Anyone know who was taking the pics out there? On my first lap I saw a woman snapping shots at the bottom of that last little climb, right before the eternal downhill. She was in a blue shirt... saw her and a guy in a matching shirt walking back in on my last lap... they looked like pro photo hounds... just wondering if they were from "myracepics" or something like that.

Thanks
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Master Gardener
    oh okay. but you won your class or something? are you expert/pro?

don't you carry a spare tube usually? stans wouldn't have been any better in this case.

i usually drill my rims to schrader and then use stans and carry co2 and a pump and a tube. not exactly svelte, but....

mx
    No, no- I hadn't trained this Fall and hadn't ridden in 2 weeks... I wasn't gonna win anything last weekend. We finished 2nd in the SS Quad... by 35-40 minutes after I lost 35 minutes fixing that flat. Sorry, team.

I only carry spare tubes on bikepacking trips... never on my normal rides. Unless I'm riding alone on a long one, which I hardly ever do cuz I have some great riding buddies here. I will start carrying them more often now, though.

I'm switching to a tubeless system (Stan's with non-tubeless tires). Rear flats on a SS blow. I'm also ditching the CO2 and going back to carrying a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by AbqStumpy
    Did this happen on the first lap? My teammate said he saw someone nursing a flat home on lap 1. I could totally see pinch flatting on that little rocky section right before the long descent. Thanks to tubeless and stans, I rolled through that (though slowly at lap 4).

Greg
    Yep, first lap. We were all trained out so I couldn't see the trail as well as I would have liked and slammed into something.

Also Greg

mtbr member
    I tried slime tubes a few years ago. I tore them right up and ended up with green everything. I'm either tubless or use regular thick cheap tubes. I some someone changing a tire with stans in it too... what a mess. I got lucky with no flats.
    Just Ride!

mtbr member

I'm switching to a tubeless system (Stan's with non-tubeless tires). Rear flats on a SS blow. I'm also ditching the CO2 and going back to carrying a pump.

[/FONT]
    I suggest you carry CO2 is you're going tubeless. Almost impossible to pump up a tubeless tire with a hand pump.

Oh, and slime does you no good if you run low tire pressure and are prone to pinched flats.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I suggest you carry CO2 is you're going tubeless. Almost impossible to pump up a tubeless tire with a hand pump.
    I was thinking I'd carry a tube and pump for flats, if I end up going tubeless. Ja oder Nein?

mtbr member
    I was thinking I'd carry a tube and pump for flats, if I end up going tubeless. Ja oder Nein?
    Sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

Doh! Yes, you're correct; not sure what I was thinking. Yes, just throw a tube in, and you good to go.

I've actually have started carrying a small bottle of Stan's with me if I do get a flat. I didn't used to. I got a pretty healthy gash in my tire during a ride couple months ago, and a buddy had some stans with him. I didn't think it would work, but sure enough it filled the hole no problem. (In that case, a hand pump would have done me no good.) Since then, I carry a bottle with me.

I actually carry Co2, with like 4 extra canisters, two tubes (one 26"; one 29"), a hand pump, and Stans, but I'm not concerned with weight (kind of hard to when one of your bikes weighs 40 lbs, a lbs here or there is not going to make much difference to me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0