Thread: Daisy Mountain

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Daisy Mountain

Hi!

Just curious to see if anyone is riding the hiking trails up on the west side of Daisy Mountain? It seems like there's lots of potential over there.

Tiff

Saucy Size Moderator
    Ooh! I'm curious as well. Just drove by there from Prescott yesterday and thought the very same thing to myself. It'd be a nice break from that crummy Black Canyon Trail you're stuck riding all the time.

p.

mtbr member
    In relation to Anthem...where is Daisy Mountain? Is that the big one to the NE, or the one SE of the Daisy Mountain exit? I suppose I could look it up on Google Earth...guess I'm being a little lazy. I would certainly be interested in potential trails there as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekSquid
    In relation to Anthem...where is Daisy Mountain? Is that the big one to the NE, or the one SE of the Daisy Mountain exit? I suppose I could look it up on Google Earth...guess I'm being a little lazy. I would certainly be interested in potential trails there as well.
    Its the big one to the north of Anthem. There's not a lot of trail up there and I was curious to see if there were any other locals who have done more exploring up there than I have.

Tiff

mtbr member
    I was just talking about that mountain the other day. With all the folks at Anthem, you would think there would be a bunch of nice trails in place. I was actually curious where you can access that Mountain (from the Anthem side). I'm not real familiar with that area of the community, but does the Golf Course / Country Club restrict the access?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekSquid
    I'm not real familiar with that area of the community, but does the Golf Course / Country Club restrict the access?
    Show up with your bikes and pay the green fees? $35. Just yell "Fore!" as you ride thru?

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    there are are a few trails about a 6 mile loop with a hell of a climb.

mtbr member
    Sounds intriguing. Where can you access the "loop" trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i ride the northeastern foothills of daisy mountain fairly often. as far as i know, the main portion of daisy mountain is currently off limits, something to do with anthem development.

the northeastern slope is very fun and steep, all jeep trail. most of the roads are somewhat overgrown due to lack of traffic, and peter out at mine shafts. the main characteristic in the area is the powerline road, which is good for nothing but abuse.

one old road crosses a large saddle between daisy mtn and gavilan peak, but i have seen only a few opportunities for loop rides.

the land is state trust, so you need a permit for access.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you can enter through the gated community can't recall exactly but will try and figure it out. guy i ride with sometimes, lives right there and built his own trail to meet up with what is back there.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by vlink12
    i ride the northeastern foothills of daisy mountain fairly often. as far as i know, the main portion of daisy mountain is currently off limits, something to do with anthem development.

the northeastern slope is very fun and steep, all jeep trail. most of the roads are somewhat overgrown due to lack of traffic, and peter out at mine shafts. the main characteristic in the area is the powerline road, which is good for nothing but abuse.

one old road crosses a large saddle between daisy mtn and gavilan peak, but i have seen only a few opportunities for loop rides.

the land is state trust, so you need a permit for access.
    Can you go up Daisy from the south side? I have a GPX file that heads up from a dirt road (at least on my aerial fotos in TF).

I am looking at aerial shots for some of the routes that you mentioned on the north side. We will be coming from New River/BCT and are looking for a route to connect to Spur Trail/Go John Trails. Any recommended routes?

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Can you go up Daisy from the south side? I have a GPX file that heads up from a dirt road (at least on my aerial fotos in TF).

I am looking at aerial shots for some of the routes that you mentioned on the north side. We will be coming from New River/BCT and are looking for a route to connect to Spur Trail/Go John Trails. Any recommended routes?
    The Maricopa Trail. Looks like 3 or so miles of route finding from BCT at New River Rd.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    The Maricopa Trail. Looks like 3 or so miles of route finding from BCT at New River Rd.
    I got a dirt road route to the Daisy Trail to the top, then up and around through Daisy Mtn and Gavilan Peak, New River over to BCT via some GPX I found online.

sprocket
    I got a dirt road route to the Daisy Trail to the top, then up and around through Daisy Mtn and Gavilan Peak, New River over to BCT via some GPX I found online.

what was that hill I rode around last weekend that is on the .gpx we sent?

Tucson, AZ
    what was that hill I rode around last weekend that is on the .gpx we sent?

Pyramid Peak

sprocket
    Pyramid Peak

1 word.
    rocky.

Tucson, AZ
    1 word.
    rocky.
    We will be taking the southern route near Apache, heading on Maricopa, up a jeep road to Daisy Mountain (summit, if available) and split the two peaks on a jeep road before going to New River.

That said, we may actually start at Bumble Bee and head south. Not sure yet. I am at 140 miles to the end of Maricopa Trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    try maricopa trail at the corner of daisy mountain and gavilan peak to the spur cross and go john connector and choose which way you want to go.