A plethora of pinatas

New question here. Custom Hitch Mount Bike Rack

I remember seeing a thread on here about a local guy making custom hitch mount bike racks that can use the standard Yakima bike trays. He was taking the standard Yakima roof bars and customizing them into a hitch mount. My searches have turned up squat.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
    Marty

mtbr member
    I can help you out if you already have the rack portion.
    Or I can custom build you something from raw meterial. I have built a couple hitch racks of diferent styles.
    I'm working on one rite now that attaches to a pop up tent trailer.

mtbr member
    Hey mcoplea. I have a rack that I built that has the standard yakima rails on it right now. It holds two bikes, and grabs the bottom tube so no need to remove front wheels. It slides into a two inch receiver hitch. I built a different style that holds five bikes for me so i dont use the smaller one anymore. I am a machinist and welder fab man by trade. If you are interested, I can e-mail some pics. You can buy this one for cheap if interested.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    I looked into doing this too. Wound up deciding on a cheap rack instead. I'm interested in any info on this though...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

A plethora of pinatas
    Thanks for the replies!

I am trying to do a hitch rack that will work with the Yakima trays. I have the 1 1/4" hitch receiver on my Honda Element and I want to carry 2 bikes on the back. I also have another vehicle that has 2" receiver and was hoping to be able to switch the rack back and forth with an adapter if possible.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

I am trying to do a hitch rack that will work with the Yakima trays. I have the 1 1/4" hitch receiver on my Honda Element and I want to carry 2 bikes on the back.

A 1 1/4" receiver is NOT rated for dirt road driving when loaded.
    agmtb

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Thanks for the info, but will that be an issue for a bike rack carrying 2 bikes in a 1 1/4" hitch?
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    If you are buying the walmart junk. and if he does not have a proper receiver. 1 1/4" is (PLEANTY) strong with the rite thickness square tubing.
    Thanks for the info, but will that be an issue for a bike rack carrying 2 bikes in a 1 1/4" hitch?
    Nope. Not even with the converter hooked up through 2"
    and with what? 60lbs... You will be fine. a pop-up tent trailer has more tongue weight on it then your bikes ever will. and Just for safe measures. Check the legal weight limit for your set-up on your honda. that will help you decide too if it is going to be "safe"

Blood, Sweat, and Gears

IMO, 1-1/4" might be an issue for serious four wheeling but would be fine for graded dirt roads. The bigger issue would be how wide the rack is, I would try and keep the weight as close to the receiver as possible. Again, just my two cents.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch 1 View Post
    IMO, 1-1/4" might be an issue for serious four wheeling but would be fine for graded dirt roads. The bigger issue would be how wide the rack is, I would try and keep the weight as close to the receiver as possible. Again, just my two cents.
    Even with a wide rack, I have built a rack that holds a 125cc dirt bike on the back of a 1 1/4" receiver. The bests way to eliminate the wobble and fear of this is to run tie down straps or chains from the outer edges of the rack to the center were the safety chains would connect, there are also several ways to keep it from swaying and possibly causing an issue, just do a google search

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It will be if your road is bumpy or your driving fast.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ View Post
    Check the legal weight limit for your set-up on your honda. that will help you decide too if it is going to be "safe"

I'd check the weight limit for the hitch rather the truck/SUV/whatever. If it's a real hitch, it shouldn't be an issue as long as it was properly installed.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I'd check the weight limit for the hitch rather the truck/SUV/whatever. If it's a real hitch, it shouldn't be an issue as long as it was properly installed.
    Towing capacity is 1500 lbs.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Towing capacity is 1500 lbs.
    I'd be looking for the hitch capacity itself. The tongue weight is what you need to be concerned about IMO.

Factor in the weight of the rack as well as the weight of the bikes. If you plan on using it off pavement, I'd double the weight that I am going to put on the hitch just for safe measure. So with a 30 lb rack, and two 45 lb bikes, I'd want to make sure the hitch tongue capacity is at least 240lbs.

When I bought my hitch rack, I was amazed at how much pressure was transfered to my cheap, ghetto rigged hitch. I wound up deciding that I need to spend the extra bucks on a good, sturdy hitch or risk buying myself and buddies new rides.
    - Julie Furtado

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I'd be looking for the hitch capacity itself. The tongue weight is what you need to be concerned about IMO.

Factor in the weight of the rack as well as the weight of the bikes. If you plan on using it off pavement, I'd double the weight that I am going to put on the hitch just for safe measure. So with a 30 lb rack, and two 45 lb bikes, I'd want to make sure the hitch tongue capacity is at least 240lbs.

When I bought my hitch rack, I was amazed at how much pressure was transfered to my cheap, ghetto rigged hitch. I wound up deciding that I need to spend the extra bucks on a good, sturdy hitch or risk buying myself and buddies new rides.
    It is a Hidden Hitch Brand - Capacity up to GTW 1,000-2,500 lb. and TW of 100-200 lb. I plan on carrying XC bikes and will do some dirt road travel - 24HITOP , Schultz Pass Rd, ect.
    Marty

mtbr member
    It is a Hidden Hitch Brand - Capacity up to GTW 1,000-2,500 lb. and TW of 100-200 lb. I plan on carrying XC bikes and will do some dirt road travel - 24HITOP , Schultz Pass Rd, ect.
    So you have a tongue weight rating of 100-200 lbs. This is how much weight can be put on the receiver itself. I wouldn't want to exceed the 100lb end of the spectrum by too much, personally. Remember the rack is a nice big lever to add stress on the hitch when you have bikes on....
    - Julie Furtado