Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mr. wonderful

CRITICAL MASS! Friday 27 August

7 pm @ Indian School Park. Ride is about an hour and a half at a very social and leisurely pace. Ends at the Clarendon Hotel for a dip in the pool and/or beers, tacos, and tortas at Gallo Blanco.

It's a fun time and a great way to promote cycling and good will between motorists and cyclists REALLY!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=139922992712546

mtbr member
    Something ironic about annoucing Critical Mass on Facebook.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Something ironic about annoucing Critical Mass on Facebook.
    why?

banned
    Critical Mass doesn't do anything to help cyclist/motorist relations.

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm No truer words have been typed here!

Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Critical Mass doesn't do anything to help cyclist/motorist relations.
    All Critical Mass does is give further reason for drivers to dislike cyclists.
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

!@#$%&!
    Besides, all the cool kids will be at SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    why?
    You don't see the irony in something that started as an underground movement using probably the most social medium to announce an event? I do.

mr. wonderful
    You don't see the irony in something that started as an underground movement using probably the most social medium to announce an event? I do.
    Underground? I think you are confusing a bike ride with the Dutch rave band.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal
    Besides, all the cool kids will be at SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!
    or at windham for the wc finals

mtbr member
    Underground? I think you are confusing a bike ride with the Dutch rave band.
    Not really.

I am Bob
    Not really.
    Critical Mass rides started way before internet and social media were the best way to get the word out.
    I lived in Chicago in the mid through late 90's and found out about CM rides through fliers posted at bars and passed out in bike messenger crowds. I'd have to guess that if Facebook were available then the people communicating it would totally be using it. The goal is to get as many people to the starting point as possible.
    Also, the rides were never underground. They are usually regularly scheduled events and all are invited. Even the authorities know about the rides because of the pattern.

I've been a little burned out on the bike activist thing lately. I just want to be a dude who rides his bike to work and not be seen as some counterculture guy. I think I'll show for this ride though. Maybe it's time for a fresh view on the whole thing. Thanks for passing the info.

sprocket
    7 pm @ Indian School Park. Ride is about an hour and a half at a very social and leisurely pace. Ends at the Clarendon Hotel for a dip in the pool and/or beers, tacos, and tortas at Gallo Blanco.

It's a fun time and a great way to promote cycling and good will between motorists and cyclists REALLY!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=139922992712546
    okay.

Losing Ground
    Has Phoenix never really heard of Critical Mass? I'm surprised you guys don't see the prominence of this. This has been going on for decades and places like San Francisco and Boston were some of the originals. And, they did it like once a month on Fridays during rush hour. At least this one in PHX is after rush hour. There are bike lanes and traffic signals and right of ways that most motorists don't even pay attention to. Cars do not own the road and It's like the coppers say - 'driving is a privilege, not a right'. Besides, 99% of cyclists are also motorists. so why wouldn't you support this?. This is just an effort to show the presence of cyclists and to bring awareness that cars must share the road.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    Has Phoenix never really heard of Critical Mass? I'm surprised you guys don't see the prominence of this. This has been going on for decades and places like San Francisco and Boston were some of the originals. And, they did it like once a month on Fridays during rush hour. At least this one in PHX is after rush hour. There are bike lanes and traffic signals and right of ways that most motorists don't even pay attention to. Cars do not own the road and It's like the coppers say - 'driving is a privilege, not a right'. Besides, 99% of cyclists are also motorists. so why wouldn't you support this?. This is just an effort to show the presence of cyclists and to bring awareness that cars must share the road.

Don't know if you have ever saw wanna of these in SF, but all it does is create more tension between the two groups. Nothing like seeing two screaming *****bags at each others throats. Also blocking city rush hour on a Friday is really stupid. It makes it even harder for emegerncy vehicles and services etc. do their jobs while idiots block SF city streets for hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

"Critical Pass"

I just don't see how this will help driver awareness toward cyclists. Help me understand. I think what happens is as follows. Driver sees many cyclists on the road. Driver avoids hitting bikers. Gets home and tells spouse i saw a a group of cyclists on the street, the end. I just don't see how the driver would equate lots of cyclists to having to be more careful when its just one cyclist. That scenario could play out very different. Driver sees a group of cyclists running red lights and "quarking" or blocking traffic at red lights to allow the mass to run a red light. He goes home to his spouse "Honey i saw a bunch of d-bags on bicycles, those guys are all jerks". Please tell me what other situations could have a positive outcome for cyclist safety and access.

mr. wonderful
    I hate to burst anyone's illusion of sticking it to the man, but this ride does not create more tension between motorist and cyclists.

1. It's not during rush hour and I am sure we would all pull over for an emergency vehicle

2. We do not cork (as much as I would love to fork things up )

3. There has never been even a hint of animosity from motorists on any of the CM rides I have been on. To the contrary, there are a lot of 'right on' honks and a lot of curiosity from passing motorists with nods of approval once they learn what we are up to.

It couldn't be further from the hate fest some of you are e-postulating on. It's fun and it is a positive environment. I know I will not convince the haters and the cynics, but don't let that deter you from joining the ride. I'm not cool enough for SLAYER!!!!!! so what else am I going to do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Critical Mass rides started way before internet and social media were the best way to get the word out.
    I lived in Chicago in the mid through late 90's and found out about CM rides through fliers posted at bars and passed out in bike messenger crowds. I'd have to guess that if Facebook were available then the people communicating it would totally be using it. The goal is to get as many people to the starting point as possible.
    Also, the rides were never underground. They are usually regularly scheduled events and all are invited. Even the authorities know about the rides because of the pattern.

I've been a little burned out on the bike activist thing lately. I just want to be a dude who rides his bike to work and not be seen as some counterculture guy. I think I'll show for this ride though. Maybe it's time for a fresh view on the whole thing. Thanks for passing the info.
    Let me rephrase then: kind of ironic that a "counter-culture" phenomenon is using one of the most mainstream forms of media.

I think the intentions are good, but Critical Mass is no way promotes driver-cyclist relations. At best, it's an attempt to show motorists that bikes have a say, and at worst can cause more friction, not less. That's my opinion anyway.

sprocket
    Let me rephrase then: kind of ironic that a "counter-culture" phenomenon is using one of the most mainstream forms of media.

I think the intentions are good, but Critical Mass is no way promotes driver-cyclist relations. At best, it's an attempt to show motorists that bikes have a say, and at worst can cause more friction, not less. That's my opinion anyway.
    so are you gonna go or not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    so are you gonna go or not?
    Considering it, but there is an event called Critical Gas the same night, where a bunch of MX and 4X4s go out to P and D and tear it up. It's designed to bridge the gap between Mt Bikers and recreationalists.

I am Bob

I can understand that. The CM rides I attended in Chicago did not really feel like good will events, but I think things have probably matured a bit since then. I hope so at least.
    For what it's worth, I remember way more friendly honks and waving from cars that saw us than angry fingers and such. Most people enjoy the spectacle and are only delayed a few minutes if that.
    In the end it's just fun to see all the people on bikes.

sprocket
    Considering it, but there is an event called Critical Gas the same night, where a bunch of MX and 4X4s go out to P and D and tear it up. It's designed to bridge the gap between Mt Bikers and recreationalists.
    I will be riding from Granada Park at 6 if you are interested.

mtbr member
    It depends on the place (and the riders) how they play out. Durango and Boulder did "Happy Thursdays" instead to be less antagonistic. They tried to make it more of a fun parade while still getting the point across.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    As long as no one is acting like a d bag I'm game. If the group is not quarking and "asserting its rights" it sounds cool. Call it a super awsome group ride with beer and pool, you will get more riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So I go to San Francisco for work once or twice a year. I grew up in Sacramento about 1.5 hours east of SF and I had always heard of the CM rides happenening and wanted to attend one but never could. Well this past year I happened to be up there the Friday of CM, thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I mean hundreds of people, cool bikes crazy costumes, every thing I had heard about. But then I also realized some of these people are idiots, doing nothing but cutting off drivers, flipping us off, even yelling obscenities to motorists. This was the worst display of friendly cyclist / motorist advocacy I had ever seen. So I kind of understand both sides in that CM may have begun in SF and or Boston to promote cycling but now it's apparent that in SF, it has become more of an excuse for hundreds of cyclist to disrupt the flow of traffic just for the sake of drawing attention to an individuals cool bike or crazy costume. I only hope CM phoenix doesn't suffer the same fate.

Losing Ground
    SF and Boston are true congested urban environments and therefore have a lot more full time cycling commuters that probably couldn't even get to their car because it's stuck in some parking space anyway. My point is; people spend a lot more time in cars in PHX compared to somebody living in DT SF so hopefully there will be more courtesy from PHX cyclists to motorists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast