mtbr member

Craigslist tale to tell

Last night I posted one of my bikes for sale on Craigslist and this morning I received a call from a potential buyer. Well I got all prepared to get ripped off with my cell phone in hand and a little S/W close by for the just in case scenario. Well the guy shows up and I am memorizing his description, checking out his vehicle and then something strange happens… he likes the bike but forgot his wallet so he will have to come back. My radar went sky high and I thought this could be a setup. So he leaves, returns about half hour later and then it happens he asked to go for a test ride. I say okay. Can you guess what happened next? Nope he didn’t take off. He came back with a huge smile and paid me my asking price in full. Moral of the story is take precautions but not everyone is out to rip you off. I am happy it all worked out plus I sold my bike in less than a day. Now off to shop for a DJ bike.

"No Clue Crew"
    Good to hear. I've sold my last 2 bike to friends, and have avoided CL because of all the horror stories. Glad you sold it without a problem.............Drew

mtbr member
    I have sold a bike and a Yakima rack on CL before with no problems. When the guy wanted to test ride the bike, I asked him for his drivers license just as they do at my local bike shop when test riding a bike.

mtbr member
    just bought one on CL. guy let me pedal it around without any collateral. i took the bike for his very fair asking price. i then went home and searched every stolen bike database i could find, as well as all the forums and general google searches. im a pessimist and generally assume people are all shitbags, but it works out now and then.

mtbr member
    How 'bout just getting his car keys before letting him take a ride.
    Chill out dude.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

!@#$%&!
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. I bought my last bike on CL and was very nervous. I was worried about handling all that cash. So we met at a bank and after I decided to buy it I went in and withdrew the money. I felt better in the bank parking lot with all the cameras around. I also did a bill of sale I printed off the internet.

sandbagger
    I had a guy calling me on a Intense M1 with fox 40's that I listed a little overpriced. The guy kept making excuses on why he was late flat tire etc. asked where he had the flat offered help he said he was ok so i drove to where he claimed he had a flat and he wasnt there drove back said he was waiting well he wasnt.Pretty sure he was planning on jacking the bike but I had my bike right next to it for a ride incase he thought he would try and bolt on me.

Took the ad off and havent tried selling it since
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowbutSure
    Now off to shop for a DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've had nothing but good experiences buying/selling on CL. I bought my current bike from someone in tucson (i live in flag), and he agreed to meet me halfway to check out the bike. Everything was exactly what he said it was. I have bought previous bikes on CL, and even traded a too small bike for a bike that fit (and vice versa for the other guy!). I have gotten sketchy emails requesting overseas shipping and the like, but all in all i agree that if you take precautions to have people around during the transaction, and don't deal with anyone that gives you a bad feeling, craigslist is wonderful.

mtbr member
    Nothing but good experiences.
    Sold a bike rack to a nice girl just a few weeks ago. Bought a used bike for a girl I know. All good transactions and nothing sketchy.

mtbr member
    I have both bought and sold bikes, cars, trailers, boats, horses, and everything in between and I have never had a problem with anybody, always good experiences. I even sold my Titus Racer X 29er and took a check!! ( he is a member on this board, so I thought it would be ok lol! ) For the most part, people are honest and trustworthy. Of course you have to be a little cautios now and then, but all in all, always positive experiences from CL!