Thread: Cracked Rim

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cracked Rim

I have the Giant S-XC2 rims on my Giant XTC 2 2012. Original owner. I was looking over my bike lovingly today, and notice that my rim was cracked between two eyelets all the way around. Here's a picture.

Cracked Rim-cracked-rim.jpg

It's hard to see, but it's there. I have two questions.

1) Structurally, should I be concerned the crack will get worse or even break the rim?

2) If this really is a big issue, what should I do about it? Contact Giant? Go to my dealer? (I'm hoping these are my two options, I'm a little too poor to by buying new rims right now :/ )

Thanks for any help.

Alive and Lurkin'

Cracked Rim

That "crack" looks like were the rim is "seemed" together.

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hmm... So that line is a seam. The more you know. Anyway, it's leaking air now (tubeless) and didn't used to, so I'm inclined to believe that it's at least a little cracked along the seam then.

mtbr member

Cracked Rim

That is definitely the seam where the rim is joined. Air it up and spray some soapy water ther to see if that's the spot.

I noticed in the pic, it looks like you may have tweaked the rim edge a little (or its the decal-hard to tell). It will easily leak from there. I also assume you have freshened up the sealant recently. If not, as it ages it dries out and won't do it's job.

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I did the soap method already actually and it confirmed that that's where the leak is coming from. It's a very slow leak, but that's it. And I figured my sealant might take care of it, so I re-did it today, but no dice. I just called the shop I bought it from and they said to bring it in and have them look at it, so I'll do that.

mtbr member
    I had a bike that came with those rims, they sucked.

mtbr member

Cracked Rim

If the shop doesn't warranty (which depending on age/other factors may or may not be okay) just pick up a Stan's Rim or whatever they will sell you cheap. Lace it up to existing hub and you may get away for less than a Hundy. Or while you save up slather some black RTV on the inside in that area to slow the flow

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the help guys. If they don't warranty it, I'll just buy another rim, hopefully for cheap.

After spending most of the day re-inflating it as it dropped to about 10psi, it seems to be holding at 30 (what I usually ride at) I guess the sealant finally worked it's way into the crevasse. I'm still a little concerned that all of a sudden air was getting out in the first place though, should I be? Or is that common?

Elitest thrill junkie
    They should have to warranty it, and specing a pinned rim for tubeless makes no sense. Tubeless should be a welded seam.

Now in reality, they probably won't stand up for you nor would they offer you a welded seam rim/wheel to make it right, and you'll learn just how valuable that "warranty" is most likely. I'd respectfully let them know what I think of the warrenty and their support, but there likely won't be much you can do, 'cept switch to tubes or have another wheel built up. Welded rims are of higher quality/more expensive to manufacture, and they have to be laced to the spokes (usually no problem with reusing spokes if the length works, it's not ideal but it also doesn't cause any big problems repeatedly). This is usually fairly expensive though, and it can be just as cheap to get another entire wheel, but again, not inexpensive overall.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If they won't warranty it, maybe take it to an aluminum welder?
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They should have to warranty it, and specing a pinned rim for tubeless makes no sense. Tubeless should be a welded seam.
    So tubeless was a bad idea? I might just switch back to tubes then. I don't expect them to replace it with something higher quality, as I did the rear myself (they did the front). I work at a shop now (different one and still inexperienced if you can't tell) so it made sense for me to do it at the time. It was working fine until a few days ago. It seems to be okay now, I'm just worried about structural integrity.

Oh and I mean I'm inexperienced, the shop guys know their stuff.