banned

Could Twitter Chat Be Used to Expedite the Sedona RTCA Process?

I recently saw where the President was going to use twitter chat (Obama hosting Twitter chat Monday at 2 p.m. ET | The Ticket - Yahoo! News) to try and get some consensus on the up coming fiscal cliff delema.

Some attendees at the recent RTCA meetings feel there must be away to expedite the meeting process to ultimately develop a new 10 to 15 year Coconino Trail Plan. I wonder if using Twitter Chat between the monthly meetings could help expedite the learning process, so the attendees could be better prepared when going to the required actual meetings?

For example would attendees like to know what the whole actual trail system looks like at this point in time? I have a new Google Earth map that I am working on and something like that might be a good tool for attendees to look at so they understand which trails the FS is going to re-vegetate to their natural state and how they can access those trails to help with the re-vegetation process when the work parties are put together.

mtbr member
    Yes
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Meatbomb
    No.

mtbr member
    I think most people don't take forum-type internet seriously...at least I don't. I'm not saying it couldn't work though...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I think most people don't take forum-type internet seriously...at least I don't. I'm not saying it couldn't work though...
    I guess we will see if the presidents twitter feed works. It would be interesting if a discussion site could be set up with with the current attendees to participate in, if they have the interest. At the the meeting the VVCC president directed the attendees to use their website to access the meeting summaries why can't VVCC also support a discussion group or maybe send an email to all attending participants telling them an independent discussion group has been set up.

As much as you try and oppose a lot my posts there is some information gained from the discussion. Some attendees I spoke to seemed to think the current process method is being used to slow the process down and discourage users from attending.

If a discussion/information site could be set-up to help disseminate or accumulate information to more efficiently move the process forward.

There was a Red Rock news person at the meeting. It would be interesting if they were at the meeting to write an article on the RTCA process. I hope I am wrong, but I predict that if an article is done it will not discuss how inefficient the last meeting was and how to possibly speed up the process.

I plan on writing to the editor see if they could help with the expediting the RTCA process by informing their readers that a discussion/information piece in the Red Rock news might be helpful.
    Last edited by traildoc; 12-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    As much as you try and oppose a lot my posts there is some information gained from the discussion. Some attendees I spoke to seemed to think the current process method is being used to slow the process down and discourage users from attending.

If a discussion/information site could be set-up to help disseminate or accumulate information to more efficiently move the process forward.
    I don't try to oppose your posts. I just question things. You happen to post a lot, so I question you a lot. It's nothing personal.

I think you might be right about the current process slowing things down. Everything is slowed down- even destruction of certain trails. If the FS decides to listen to one user group, they have to listen to them all. Otherwise they'll have pissed off hikers or equestrians on their hands if they do everything bikers want them to. It's hard to get one user group to agree on something...even harder to get all groups to agree.

I am certain the people who wanted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel to be painted could have had it done in a day. But they chose Michelangelo to work on it for four years and make it a real piece of art. Do you want some sort of off-white or grey, or do you want a friggin' masterpiece? Greatness and perfection do not happen overnight.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Meatbomb
    Ask the attendees at the recent RTCA meeting, not us. we really don't care as much.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I don't try to oppose your posts. I just question things. You happen to post a lot, so I question you a lot. It's nothing personal.

Do you want some sort of off-white or grey, or do you want a friggin' masterpiece? Greatness and perfection do not happen overnight.
    I agree with you that greatness does not happen over night, but greatness can happen when you hire a professional painter to do the project. A person with experience.

I have been researching the internet to find a similar project that the RTCA has done from the beginning to finish, and so far I have not found anything similar to what we are doing in Sedona. What I want to do is get copies of all the meeting summaries and pull attendee responses out to see how the final Forest Service Trails Planning Document was finally written to see if any of the desires of the attendees were incorporated into the final document.

I want to better understand the process and from reviewing other summaries I can maybe present the adoption of user-built trails better.

Like Chalkpaw stated he has been through several of these processes and none of them seem to have gotten the result he was hoping for.

Chalkpaw helped the FS design the Adopt-a-Trail program. I am totally on board with the concept CP designed the program to address. I thought it was the best way to get people out to volunteer to do trail work on a system trail they enjoy using.

Recently Heather criticized me for bringing up the Adopt-a-Trail program as a means to deal with the cost to maintain system trails. All the facilitator was interested in doing was asking individuals in my group "why is maintenance necessary. "

Some people feel there maybe a hidden agenda with a question like that. They feel if the Adopt-a-Trail aspect is not addressed than the answer to the question can be used later on, to impose a user fee on the people using the trails.

It will be interesting if the comment I made and was written down by Jason about the Adopt-a-Trail program will be added in with safety, sustainability, character,etc. answers we gave as a group. I am looking forward to the meeting summary to see that inclusion.

In talking with the people dealing with the funding mechanism to deal with future costs of adding and maintaining new trails they had a very lively discussion and interaction by the group.

I do feel volunteerism and funding are key components to the Trail Planning Process. A strong volunteer Adopt-a-Trail program could dramatically reduce the cost of trail maintenance and new trail building, so there would be less need to get funding though government grants, public funding or a revised Red Rock Pass program.

Does the FS want a strong Adopt-a-Trail program of course they are going to say yes, but if you only allow one entity or person to adopt one trail and you don't get all the trails adopted you have not covered all the trails that need to be adopted.

It will be interesting who adopts what trails. You have to wonder which user built trails the FOF members might adopt, or which trails the equestrians will adopt. I would bet to guess that the fun mountain bike trails are adopted by mountain bikers and the trails like Bell Rock Pathway, Phone, Baby Bell, Hot Loop, Carroll Canyon, Huckaby, Jim Thompson, Wilson Canyon, etc. will ultimately go to the FOF and equestrians if at all.

TD