No Clue Crew

Could the morning ride get much better than today?

Left 7th Ave right around 5:30a needing my light for maybe 15 minutes. Was actually cool. Took my typical route from 7th Ave to Cave Creek and back. Wanted to stay longer but had to get the truck in the shop for new ball joints. Paused at Cave Creek and when I started again it was actually chilly from the sweat that accumulated on my body. Wonderful...

Still fighting a small section of T100 (riding from north to south):

I edited my track so I could see just my nemesis section. Only .34 miles but it's tough. I get about half way (just before you see the left turn) where it turns from loose to a little rocky. By the time I get there I'm gassed and hit those lumpy rocks and stall. If you zoom in you can see where I backed up and tried a different line. Worked a little better but probably because I stopped and took a short break. I think a few more times and I'll clear that pig.

The good news was that I cleared the last loose uphill leg (the section from the last right turn on up). It's kinda funny 'cause I sat at the saddle looking down and thought, "well, I know I ain't making it up that last section but lets do this." and I wound up clearing it. Surprised myself...

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work. Yesterday was really nice as well.........Drew

Let'er Buck
    Its alway nice to clean a section that previously had your number.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

No Clue Crew
    Yes, it is nice to win once in a while A couple more times and I think I be able to clean it all... VOAZ up still has my number but I think if I clear this section it will help tremendously with VOAZ up... Then I can start work on Irregular...

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Yes, it is nice to win once in a while A couple more times and I think I be able to clean it all... VOAZ up still has my number but I think if I clear this section it will help tremendously with VOAZ up... Then I can start work on Irregular...
    It's a b*****H but a great climb. I like this section ! note: the cheater line is getting heavy traffic as of late! Just walk it............Drew

No Clue Crew
    I haven't even tried it yet but seen pictures and heard stories so I know it'll be tough. Won't be the first or last time I walk my bike up or down a trail

"No Clue Crew"
    It's not much worse that VOAZ, but has a 20 yard section with a large drop off to the left (when climbing)!!!............Drew

nodejitsu
    All week has been mad sweet! 430 to 530 in the dark is always fun start.

mtbr member
    We, hubby and I, call that section Double Whammy that direction, it's a tough climb no doubt about it.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by loveaz
    We, hubby and I, call that section Double Whammy that direction, it's a tough climb no doubt about it.

That it is!!!!

livin' the dream......
    I got out today, but it was not until 10:30 and I just planned on climbing Bell Pass to the toolbox they have stashed up there for trailwork. It is 2.5 miles of pretty easy climbing and I like doing this when I know I have limited time to ride. Did almost the whole thing in the big ring, except the last 50 feet.

Fun coming down, and since it said 95 degrees on the car thermometer, hardly a soul to be seen!

Old-newbie
    I left while the stars were still out. I felt like a trail ride, so it was a 20 mile loop that took me past Rock Knob, out of the MMP boundary, and along that beautiful trail east of the east end. I didn't see a single person the entire ride. However, apparently dove season started today, because I got pretty close to someone(s) hammering away with a shotgun. To their credit, it sounded like a 20 gage. There were 2 bucks up on the ridge line looking as nervous as I was. Fortunately all trails diverged, and the one that swooped and twisted through the cactus was all mine. Unfortunately so were a couple of extroverted cholla pods, but the needles did not even faze me. I pulled them out, cranked homeward, refueled, cleaned up, and got ready to drive to work. Then I sat down, fell asleep, and didn't wake up until 11:00! Called in a vacation day and commenced to puttering with bikes. A perfect day indeed!

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

livin' the dream......
    Nice ride and even better story!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Still fighting a small section of T100 (riding from north to south):

II get about half way (just before you see the left turn) where it turns from loose to a little rocky. By the time I get there I'm gassed and hit those lumpy rocks and stall. The good news was that I cleared the last loose uphill leg (the section from the last right turn on up).
    Man... came really close today. Got hammering up this ***** and about 15' before I hit the section that stalls me I hit a big, loose rock and my ass end totally washed out and I stepped off. Got back on, stood up, and rode over the whole lumpy section and then just at the left bend lost it again. Got to the top, gassed, and said, "man, I came pretty close. Screw heading to Cave Creek, I'm trying this again."

Finished the route and then looped back to the beginning. Made it all the way to the part that stalls me again and I picked the one line that was wrong. I was standing up so most of my weight was forward and almost went over the bars when I stalled into a lumpy rock that I should've lifted my front onto. Got, pissed, coasted 30' back down the hill and did it again. Rode the entire rest of the length.

So, I've almost cleaned it... next time, I think

No Clue Crew
    Well, it's been a long time since I tried this and today we went out. Drew and his buddy kept going on that more flat connector and I HAD to try this section again. I'd been on it one other time since my last post here and got VERY close but just as I started to climb up that last step and make the left turn I lost it.

So, this morning I had to give it a shot. It was the first time I've tried it on the new bike and I'm gonna have to say the new bike gave me the victory this morning. 'Cause I cleaned that beach!

Baby steps...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mike that section is fun. Didnt know people actually rode the other areas other than 40th anymore I think we'll be in that same area thurs night around 7ish

ETA: HOLY SHHHHIII YOURE FROM THE FUTURE :O

http://www.vimeo.com/25910413

"No Clue Crew"
    Good early ride! Fun times on the SS.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Mike that section is fun. Didnt know people actually rode the other areas other than 40th anymore I think we'll be in that same area thurs night around 7ish
    Oh yeah... I like parts of the west side of Trail 100. There's not as much variety nor technical trails on the west end but it's trail to ride

My early morning rides usually consisted of 7th -> Disneyland. There's some fun stuff just east of Cave Creek and a couple fun sections around 7th St as well. It's where I go when I just wanna get some dirt underneath me and don't have a lot of time. Saves at least 30 minutes off my drive time which means 30 more minutes on the bike