Thread: Cougar in heat?

Old-newbie

Cougar in heat?

In the words of the great wordsmythe Dave Barry: “I am not making this up!”
    I hit the trails early for a climb up to Bell pass (from the Fountain Hills side). I was stopped up on Prospector trail near the scenic pulloff, trying to catch my breath, just as the sun was lighting up the McDowells. That is when I heard the most awful noise echoing through the hills. The first squawk sounded like a large hawk, then fell quiet. Then a series of horrible shrieks that sounded very much like a large cat. More specifically, like a large female cat, in heat. I have no idea how the hell I knew that. Probably a memory from some documentary in my past. At any rate, I rode on up to Bell, glancing over my shoulder frequently. Less concern on the cruise back down Windmill to home.
    While I was uploading my GPS data, I remembered the racket in the hills, so I did an absent minded web search, and oh my dear lord do you have any idea what shows up when you search “cougar in heat”?

Anyway, here is a very cool site that has actual animal sounds. Check out track #13.
    http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Cougar_Puma_Sounds.aspx

gerG
    Last edited by g3rG; 06-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm no expert, but I bet you're right. I know they've been spotted before in that area too. Very cool. Watch your back!

mtbr member
    This thread is useless without pictures.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And I thought this was going to be about an overly aggressive wealthy gal in her upper 40's! HA! The sound big cats make isn't what I thought it would be when I first heard one. It's kind of a high pitch nasal whine, kind of like a screaming baby deer. Damn good story, thanks.

mtbr member
    I was riding up the little climb (at the midpoint of Prospector on the way up to Bell Jct) when I looked down and saw the severed leg of a deer. This is a heads down, fairly steep climb, so I didn't really have time to process what I saw until I was past it. I got to the top, and quickly turned around and headed out! This was earlier this year (April). You might know the climb, it is past the "scenic pull-off" you speak of, actually at the opening just before the climb up to the jct, trail off to the right. Just a little extra climb to the top of the hill that, you guessed, looks down on the pull-off and towards Fountain Hills and Dixie Mine. Lovely...
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you look!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    though last year someone was posting pics of some lynx or bobcat that they had in their back yard around that area?
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Darn! I was hoping for a OT thread on hot human Cougars in heat.

mtbr member
    Man to find cougars in heat all you gotta do is go to Scottsdale...I see them all the time

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by kensellu
    Man to find cougars in heat all you gotta do is go to Scottsdale...I see them all the time
    I know they are everywhere. I was just hoping for a good story and pics. Please post your cougar pics. A thread is nothing with out pictures.

mtbr member
    I promise it wasn't me!! I wasn't making any weird noises or throwing myself at bikers on the trail

eBiker
    Danger!

mtbr member
    wonder if the fires in Flag have moved a few cats down here? Are there cougar up in Flag?