mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cosmic Ray was right

I should have listened to that part about mountain biking being hazardous. I was originally wih a friend but his bike broke down and he took off. then I crashed and burned today on my mountain bike. Hit soft sand and went down slamming my left forearm and ribs into the ONE big rock sticking up in about 30 sq feet of sand. Laid there for 20 minutes or so, trying to decide if I was gonna pass out or throw up. Debated calling 911 until the buzzing in my head stopped. Then had to fix my bike before I could ride it out, then go to the doc to get the gash on my arm glued shut. He tells me I may have cracked my ribs, but that even if I had, there is nothing that could be done. Great day for a ride though. Laying in the bottom of a wash moaning, not so much. So all in all, a pretty eventful day and a good time had by all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    that ray dude has no clue what he is talking about.......... I often wonder if he actually owns a bicycle
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

AKA Sherrif Moe Gnarpiao
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    that ray dude has no clue what he is talking about.......... I often wonder if he actually owns a bicycle
    When I look back now, after several years of riding most of what AZ has has to offer I agree that his book is full of shiite. BUT, I gotta say that when I was new to mtn biking, didn't have many experienced biker friends, and didn't know where the trails were, his book was a life saver! Introduced me to alot of trails. Everyone bashes that book but for a beginner it's not bad.

Once you've gotten some experience in the saddle looking back on his trail reviews are pretty bad. I haven't cracked it open in years.
    JRA

mtbr member
    His 1st edition guide is probably older than you. Be nice to your elders. He's been there since day 1. Yes his guide is goofy but he will readily admit it's more of a guide for getting you to the ride. After that your on your own.

edit to add: sorry I believe you were joking. I gotta drink more water in the morning.
    Last edited by rockman; 09-25-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Team Tortuga
    Cosmic Ray got me around for the first 2 years I started riding out here and I never had any issues. I really enjoyed checking off the pages as I rode the different trails. I still pull it out every once in a while for inspiration!

Heal up brother and get back on the bike!

Need more cowbell
    Here is a short email Ray wrote to the hosts of Bike Month in 2007 when they asked him to give a 1 hour speech.....

Let's see . . . just thinking out loud here . . . possible subjects for talk . . . bike touring (I've got 25,000 miles on the road in Europe plus a few more here and there i.e. Alaska, New Zealand, Canada, North Africa and lots of US not to mention a few trips in AZ) . . . Got in on the ground floor with mtn biking in AZ. Was the 3rd mountain biker in the state as far as I know . . . I started self publishing books and maps 20 years ago . . . now 3 books and 2 maps in print. Fat Tire is in it's 20th edition with 130,000 in print . . . I make my living hiking, riding my bicycle and doing my books. I teach a bike maintenance class at Coconino Community College. I spun (spinned, spunned, span, whatever) wrenches in a bike shop for 15 years as employee and owner. I have a college degree signed by Ronald Reagan. I sometimes get to row a boat down the Colorado River. I have a wife, son 40 and a daughter 14 (new improved wife). Spent the last 5 summers on road bikes camping in Alaska and Europe with daughter. I like coffee. I own my home in Flagstaff. I have not had a job for 17 years. I am a professional slacker.

Sounds like he may in fact own a bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish
    Cosmic Ray got me around for the first 2 years I started riding out here and I never had any issues. I really enjoyed checking off the pages as I rode the different trails. I still pull it out every once in a while for inspiration!

Heal up brother and get back on the bike!
    Yep, if it weren't for his book, and me getting lost trying to follow his maps, I might have given up mt biking altogether.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    well, I never intended this post to turn into a diatribe on Ray's bona fides. I like his writing style and for a new mountain biker, his books at least give you someplace to start. It was merely intended as a humorous intro into my minor catastophe.

Thanks for the encouragement, crazyIrish, I'll be back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am very concerned that he seems to have married his 14-year-old daughter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Here is a short email Ray wrote to the hosts of Bike Month in 2007 when they asked him to give a 1 hour speech.....

Let's see . . . just thinking out loud here . . . possible subjects for talk . . . bike touring (I've got 25,000 miles on the road in Europe plus a few more here and there i.e. Alaska, New Zealand, Canada, North Africa and lots of US not to mention a few trips in AZ) . . . Got in on the ground floor with mtn biking in AZ. Was the 3rd mountain biker in the state as far as I know . . . I started self publishing books and maps 20 years ago . . . now 3 books and 2 maps in print. Fat Tire is in it's 20th edition with 130,000 in print . . . I make my living hiking, riding my bicycle and doing my books. I teach a bike maintenance class at Coconino Community College. I spun (spinned, spunned, span, whatever) wrenches in a bike shop for 15 years as employee and owner. I have a college degree signed by Ronald Reagan. I sometimes get to row a boat down the Colorado River. I have a wife, son 40 and a daughter 14 (new improved wife). Spent the last 5 summers on road bikes camping in Alaska and Europe with daughter. I like coffee. I own my home in Flagstaff. I have not had a job for 17 years. I am a professional slacker.

Sounds like he may in fact own a bike....
    pretty much true, i've known Ray for 25yrs. - to my knowledge he was never a bike shop owner {cosmic cycles was first owned by Elson, who sold it to Yod, John & Brad....... B. & Y. went their own ways & Terry & John own it now. i was an employee there for a few years, and worked with Ray} and, there have been people MTN biking in AZ as long as there have been bikes - let's not forget the feats of the Coconino Cycling Club over 100+yrs ago. Ray does ride bikes quite allot {he broke his leg on one last year} and among his many bikes, some with motors, some not is a Coconino custom World Tourer. and yes - he is a slacker. Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    heal up dood!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yep, if it weren't for his book, and me getting lost trying to follow his maps, I might have given up mt biking altogether.

Holy crap, your ritght on the nose. that's my exact words also. Part of the fun was getting lost and finding my way back and a few times made a boring trail a lot more fun. I still have his book (1st editiion) with all my notes that I wrote in for each trail and keep it in my truck. after reviewing it I look back and can't beleive I couldn't ride some of that stuff I now fly with no problem. also how several trails changes routes over the years or been *****fied (kittyfied) by those who never learned the skills to challenge themselves.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    The Cosmic Ray books are the best trail books I've ever used. Thanks Ray!

im4Gsus
    sorry about your crash, scooter. them ribs will be painful for a while (i know, i've cracked them FOUR times). take ibuprofen, it's the best for the pain. where were you riding when you crashed?
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Weirdest Maps

Cosmic Ray's books have the weirdest maps of any mountain bike guidebook I have ever used. They are the worst for the map being drawn to scale and amoungt the best for giving you the key information you need to navigate your way (third turn on the left after the big rock).

banned
    he even points out where the 420 views are in Sedona.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was out at Usery Park, Kaboose, taking an easy ride before i went to work. Well, the ride didn't turn out to be easy and I didn't go to work. man, that Vicodin is good stuff!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bweide
    Cosmic Ray's books have the weirdest maps of any mountain bike guidebook I have ever used. They are the worst for the map being drawn to scale and amoungt the best for giving you the key information you need to navigate your way (third turn on the left after the big rock).
    Agreed. If it weren't for Ray's book in addition to helpful shop employees around the valley, I wouldn't have had much of a clue. It really breaks up the monotony of looking at topo maps when your eyes start to blur and you are trying to make sense of where to head and what to expect. I tend to describe rides in terms of, "turn left at the rock that looks like Snoopy about a mile after a long climb..." and this is how Ray writes and draws maps. I'm a big fan of his.

Scooter, take care of those ribs.

slower than you
    i like ray. he's a good guy. unique. only person i know in town who doesnt call me by both my first and last names; he's always used my initials to reference me since day one (makes me feel, every time, for just a moment, like i rank with EK), tho no one else ever does. i consider him a friend. and i think most of the ranting that goes on about him is rooted in envy. it sux for us that he had 'the great idea' loooong before any of us did, but that doesnt mean he sux.

his first book got me lost plenty of times. never had a problem with that. still don't
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My first post was pure sarcasm, I have met him and he was a very nice guy that happened to be standing over a bike each of the times.. I found his books great for getting me to the trail and giving tips and warnings of where to go. I would never expect a small book made to be put in your pack as having large enough maps to be accurate for what we would all like. I always recomend taking a trail map from the trial head if there is one.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Too many Sedonuts...
    Cosmic Ray is an "achiever". Probably drinks white russians too.

His book was the first I purchased, mainly for info on out-of-the-Phoenix-area trails. Good for finding the trailheads.

However, his book is not that inaccurate....For inacuracy, go read PaulB's book...
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cosmic ray was riding bikes long before most of you were a twinkle in your dad's first girlfriends eye. The guy use to come to my elementary school in the early 70's and show us how to take care of bikes. At one time he own cosmic cycles on south san fran a mile or two from kinsey. I remember he once came to my 9th grade industrial arts class and show the difference between a quality frame and a cheap sears frame. No walmart at the time. Not defending him,but, the guy isn't full of sh**t...he is a tribute to all who love bikes.