Thread: Corona de Loma

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Corona de Loma

I was thinking of mixing things up tomorrow morning and doing DC to Corona and down National. How is Corona?

pedaller
    Bring your hiking shoes.

Corona is usually ridden in the DOWN direction. (even though there is some up that way too)

You might prefer that loop in the opposite direction.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    ^^^^^ +1, plan on some HAB, but nice and secluded up there, worth doing.

slower than you
    man, once upon a time i used to love that loop and would ride it whenever i came down to the valley... up national, down corona, back on desert classic... sometimes with a little helipad and goat trail for good measure... back when the view from the top of the helipad was nothing but desert as far as you could see... probably been 10 years since the last time i did any part of that ride. corona was always pretty gnarly on my old rigid retrotec, but i enjoyed the heck out of it.

fun reminiscing. next time i come down, in the fall perhaps, i just might get out on that ride again.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yep, was definitely a lot of HAB. The steepness wasn't the killer, but the looseness sure was. It was cool to do something different, and thank god for the cloud cover and drizzle, but I won't be going up that again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I rode nat, down corona, back desert classic few months back. Love that loop.

G.O.B.
    Back in the day (1989) we used to run up this trail for wrestling practice, it was like billy goat trail back then. I suppose some things have changed since , ie. wider, moved rocks and what not, but to climb it with out HAB is for those that are clearly mentally demented.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am coming in from NC and was just looking at this loop. So the recommendation is Nat->Corona->DC, and not the otherway around if I want to limit the amount of HAB? (I get enough of that in Pisgah!) What kind of ride time would you anticipate for an experienced rider but not a pro by any means? I'll hit the TH about 3pm, I'll have lights but don't really relish a new trail, solo, at night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you start by 3pm you should be fine. If you don't stop much, you should be able to do it in under 2 hours easily.

When you get to the little parking lot (Buena Vista), look for Corona Loma trail up the road 40 yards on the left. It is past the road sign and goes down into the canyon. Don't stay on National Trail by mistake. It is just to the right and more prominent, but it goes up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell73 View Post
    I am coming in from NC and was just looking at this loop. So the recommendation is Nat->Corona->DC, and not the otherway around if I want to limit the amount of HAB? (I get enough of that in Pisgah!) What kind of ride time would you anticipate for an experienced rider but not a pro by any means? I'll hit the TH about 3pm, I'll have lights but don't really relish a new trail, solo, at night.
    I did it DC-Corona-National. It was fun, but definitely HAB. I think the better loop is up either Mormon loop or 24th Street-National-BV parking lot-back down staying on National to Pima lot. When will you be out? I would be happy to show you around depending on what day!