Give it a crank

Cool Sedona trails map website

I had seen the SkidMap website before when it only included Utah trails but today I found quite a few Sedona trails on it. I like it, passing on the link if you haven't checked it out yet.

The Skid Map Sedona trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cool map. Somewhat accurate.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I had seen the SkidMap website before when it only included Utah trails but today I found quite a few Sedona trails on it. I like it, passing on the link if you haven't checked it out yet.

MR:

It looks cool, BUT it has a bunch of trails named incorrectly and it only has about 75% of the trails, so it isn't very comprehensive. I have been told there is a new map under construction for Sedona users.

The people making this new site say they are on the cutting edge of technology and will be making a site that will provide riders all the Sedona Intel they are looking for at a small cost.

They asked me for my comprehensive map Intel and I told them I couldn't share hundreds of hours of work with them because of my map sales at Over the Edge. My over the Edge map has a lot more trails than the Skid Map and I give suggested loop options. Without suggested loop options you are just looking at a bunch of spaghetti IMHO.

The guys on the cutting edge think they will have their site operational at the end of next month. They say they just need to get their Beta organized. Apparently there is tons of Beta out there in cyberspace, but it isn't all organized.

My Beta took hundreds of hours to organized so I wish them well in their project. If they pull it off it should be fantastic for those that want to pay.

My total free traildoc online very comprehensive map is still available for those that make a search on the internet for it, and I get requests for it every day.

TD

Multiple Lines Rock
    stroke yourself some more...
    your maps are better
    there
    happy?
    how many times you gonna tell us that you have no clue what message is being given to ya?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks

mtbr member
    Yah, maps are fun. We thought it would be cool to create a Garmin basemap that is just for cyclists. OK, roads are there too, but in light gray, only highlighted if there is a bike lane. The best part is that all MTB trails are in big bright tracks colored by difficulty. The only markers we put on there are trailheads and bike shops.

We are still working out the tweaks, and of course always adding more trails. The current Sedona map was really just our first cut. We'll improve the trails soon after our next trip.

A snapshot is below, if anyone wants to give our prototype a go, we'd love to get some feedback. Sometimes there are things you just can't anticipate unless you are actually out riding a particular trail, like "This trail head name obscures this intersection", etc. If you want a link to download it (free of course), send me an email at "info@skidmap.com"

Cheers,
    SkidMap Trail Critic

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by unkosama View Post
    Yah, maps are fun. We thought it would be cool to create a Garmin basemap that is just for cyclists. OK, roads are there too, but in light gray, only highlighted if there is a bike lane. The best part is that all MTB trails are in big bright tracks colored by difficulty. The only markers we put on there are trailheads and bike shops.

We are still working out the tweaks, and of course always adding more trails. The current Sedona map was really just our first cut. We'll improve the trails soon after our next trip.

A snapshot is below, if anyone wants to give our prototype a go, we'd love to get some feedback. Sometimes there are things you just can't anticipate unless you are actually out riding a particular trail, like "This trail head name obscures this intersection", etc. If you want a link to download it (free of course), send me an email at "info@skidmap.com"

Cheers,
    unkosama:

I am curious about what you know about the mapping dynamic that is currently going on in Sedona? Upon reviewing your Uncomprehensive map I note that you have used my Comprehensive Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Map as a basis for a naming some of your GPS'ed tracks.

I am happy someone else is trying to put a comprehensive map together. Recently I put together a Google Earth version. That is kind of a lie because I really didn't put the Google Earth Map together, a fellow MTBR Sedona visitor put it together and I edited it for him to eliminate sections in the wilderness and I added trails he didn't have on his map.

Anyway back to the map dynamic going on in Sedona. Right now Bear Tooth Maps has come out with a new CORE map. It is a big improvement over previous Bear Tooth maps because they increased the scale and got rid of the areas that mountain bikers can't or don't ride in.

Bear Tooth is working with the Sedona FS and they have gone through a bunch of gyrations on which user built trails to include in their map. Since I really only provided the most comprehensive map they were trying to include some of the most popular non-adopted user built trails I had listed on my map.

On the first go round I think they snuck in some trails the FS wasn't happy about, so then they removed some and added some others that are not adopted. I think they are trying to make the bike shops happy, so they put in the popular user-built non-adopted trails to stimulate sales. I mean how can you sell a map without the fun trails to ride?

I am not sure the FS figured out what Bear Tooth is up to or if the FS is giving them the secret handshake to have trails listed that hopefully will be adopted in the future. Something interesting is going on and I look forward to seeing it play out.

Anyway the next biggest seller of Sedona trail Intel is Cosmic Ray. Cosmic is a legend in the map guide business and he has been having discussions with the FS for years. He has been led to the whipping post numerous times by both the mountain bike community and the FS for listing popular non-adopted user built trails.

Many local mountain bikers didn't want the cool trails listed even though they are all legal to ride. They thought you could keep secret handshake trails secret forever, we all know that is impossible, but it sounds good in the short run. Most mountain bikers in Sedona are into sharing our great trails with all users and so they need to be mapped to allow the sharing process to exist.

When I last talked to Cosmic he said that he just prints trails people love to ride and hike. In his last printing he took out older not so popular trails and put in more popular trails. How else can you compete if you don't have the latest and greatest in trails?

Anyway your map includes 80% of the current user built trail system, it will be interesting how your project progresses and whether you will get a call from the FS saying they don't appreciate you giving competition to Bear Tooth and Cosmic Ray. They might ask you to remove all of the popular user built trails because they haven't been adopted yet, but I would just ask them why they allow Bear Tooth to put those popular user-built trails on their map.

Let me know how I can help you make the best Sedona trail map on the net. I would be happy to send you the new Google Earth kmz. file if you can't find it in a Google Search.

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I dig the interface on that map, I think it has serious potential. Keep up the good work.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Sweet. The interface is pretty nice. I already learned where some trails were that I only knew the names too.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Shovel Ready
    Spaghetti or Lasagna, which do you prefer?

As for the map, great work no one needs a a step by step map. That would be like playing Myst with a walk through or a rubiks cube that no matter which move you made it lined up.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I like my trails as angel hair....or fusilli, if the mood hits. Maybe add some Stan's sauce to keep it together. White lightning to make it all go down smoothly.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post

COol.

What do the colors mean?

Green easy, blue intermediate and black hard... and red.... blood and gore?

Meatbomb
    unkosama, do yourself a favor and put Traildoc on your ignore list now.. He will add no value to your already very well played out mapping adventure.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Mtn-Rider:

Got a question is there anyway you can keep that Google Map from viewers who do the TD hate thing on MTBR.
    Could you define a TD hater please?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Mtn-Rider:

Got a question is there anyway you can keep that Google Map from viewers who do the TD hate thing on MTBR. Also I am curious if that map you are showing is the latest kmz file conversion? I did an update about 5 days ago and a lot of the magenta trails changed other colors and I did a rating for each trail.

I just hope we can give the riders the latest Intel for their best user experience.

The trail colors mean nothing other than being different trails. The thicker lined trails are system or adopted mountain bike user-built trails. The skinny trails are mountain biker built trails that haven't been adopted yet and hopefully will be in the future. The different colored trail markers denote the difficulty level (red-advanced, purple advanced/intermediate, blue-intermediate and green-Sedona's easiest trails) of a trail.

It looks like I am going to be out of business pretty soon with all the great map Iintel out there.
    I already bookmarked it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Could you define a TD hater please?
    Phillbo and Eazy_E are both TD haters. They want to ignore my posts but they can't because they are weak in their convictions. They know 95% of what I communicate is the truth, and they want to participate in the Sedrama.

If I can help Skid Map develop the best interactive map in Sedona I make them eat crow about what I am trying to accomplish.

In Sedona 5% of the local users hate what the mountain bikers have accomplished here. Both Phillbo and Eazy_E think that Sedona is going backwards. If you have thousands of riders riding our get trail system that kind of debunks that mentality. A really cool interactive map like Skid Map could help with promoting of Sedona mountain biking.

Jennifer and her boyfriend have adopted most of her boyfriends trails whether she wants to adopt the other user built trails is an unknown at this point in time. Her boyfriend told her the other user built trails are sh*ty. I don't agree and hopefully we will be able to get the RTCA to see the merit of those other trails.

Let's say Jennifer's boyfriend tells Jennifer Drano is a sh*ty trail. He has a lot of clout with Jennifer and he knows Drano intimately. He is the one that "get's to decide", right? But let's say the reviews on SkidMap say it is a blast riding downhill and it rides nicely uphill. Now who is Jennifer going to believe a bunch of independent users or her boyfriend? Ultimately SkidMap will decide which trail is fun to ride not Jennifer's boyfriend.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 01-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.

bland
    If you guys get more trails on there it will be way better than anything that has been made yet. Keep up the good work!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    unkosama, do yourself a favor and put Traildoc on your ignore list now.. He will add no value to your already very well played out mapping adventure.
    Phillbo:

Maybe you could forget selling your GPS and get up to Sedona to help us map all the great user built trails so we can build a really great SkidMap site here. I am just trying to give users a better riding experience for their hard earned working dollar.

By providing pictures, loop scenarios and difficulty ratings of trails I would be able to help riders pick what ride to do on their Smart Phone while traveling to Sedona. It would take the guess work out of what they hope to be an epic mountain biking vacation.

Seems like a win win situation to me, what fault can you find with that? There are only several people the know Sedona trail system better than I do and those that do are friends of mine that I can get additional historical trail Intel from.

bland
    There are only several people the know Sedona trail system better than I do and those that do are friends of mine that I can get additional historical trail Intel from.
    Read this aloud slowly.