mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cool Mornings, Good For Snakes

Sonoran North had a few snakes on it. Saw one on Saturday and then some bikers that were going the other way warned us about another but never saw it.
    JRCool Mornings, Good For Snakes-photo-15-.jpg

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    they are starting to go commando again

How much further ???
    I must have crossed some threshold but the sight of rattle snakes doesnt even phase me anymore. Saw one out on Hawes during a night ride last week and just stopped, let it move by and kept going. Didnt even think twice.

To be fair when I first moved here I took a pic of every black widow or strange bug/creature I would come across. Used to just blow me away since I grew up in Chicago the only time I saw stuff like we have out here in AZ was on Discovery Channel.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunstocker View Post
    some bikers that were going the other way warned us about another but never saw it.
    So I have this theory. Everytime I encountered a snake on a trail, when disturbed - coiled or not - it moves on within 3-5 minutes. I observed that on at least five different occasions. So often you warn people but the snake is already gone by the time they get there.

Something to think about on group rides. Keep everyone 3-5 minutes apart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I must have crossed some threshold but the sight of rattle snakes doesnt even phase me anymore. .
    +1
    Me too...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    hearing them nearby but NOT seeing them is much more alarming

mtbr member
    I came across a pinkish red rattle snake on T100 heading towards 40th st. last Thursday (Tiger Rattler) I believe! Trail was tight, and I go past them all the time when they're stretched out. I rode around the tail end, and he snapped back and almost got me! I guess if I ride past them in the future to always pass on the head end, they can't lunge forward! Other then that, I love seeing them...when I see them first!

mtbr member
    Hate when you think there's a stick in the trail and then you're right on top of it before you realize what it is. I always think the front wheel might throw it up in your lap.

Seen those too (Ram-on) one was particularly in a bad mood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    I always think the front wheel might throw it up in your lap.

or backwheel in to your riding partner's face

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    or backwheel in to your riding partner's face
    The old joke doc says you're going to die, comes to mind ...

Always in the wrong gear
    We saw a baby rattler on the side of the trail one night at Sonoran South. Then last night saw a huge scorpion laying in the middle of the trail. He was the size of my palm (4.5" curled up). I used to stop and take pictures, but now I'm used to it. They are like fish stories now.

mtbr member
    I've seen more snakes on Sonoran North that any other trail I can recall. Some of them are big suckers. I never assume "stick", but it usually is just "stick".

mtbr member
    Haven't come across any rattlers yet, which is crazy. They're out in abundance here in Texas. I have seen a coral snake though, which is nuts, as seeing them are really rare.

mtbr member
    I hate snakes. We get dispatched to 'reptile removals'.. I now use my seniority and stand by the truck.
    never know what youre going to find on an exploration what the sky is like what the trail is like thats why were exploring

mtbr member

Cool Mornings, Good For Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by willeh View Post
    I hate snakes. We get dispatched to 'reptile removals'.. I now use my seniority and stand by the truck.
    What city are you with? I more than likely am the one that dispatches you. Crazy how many "snake removal" calls we've been sending Scottsdale and daisy mountain on lately

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram-On View Post
    I came across a pinkish red rattle snake on T100 heading towards 40th st. last Thursday (Tiger Rattler) I believe! Trail was tight, and I go past them all the time when they're stretched out. I rode around the tail end, and he snapped back and almost got me! I guess if I ride past them in the future to always pass on the head end, they can't lunge forward! Other then that, I love seeing them...when I see them first!
    Tiger Rattlesnakes in that area are not ususally pink. You most likely saw a Speckled Rattlesnake which is much more common in the PMP. Please never assume that they can't lunge forward and strike, even when they are stretched out. Snakes are just too fast and too unpredictable to take the chance. You're better off waiting a minute for it to clear the trail because rattlesnake bites are VERY PAINFUL and VERY EXPENSIVE.

Give it a crank
    It's baby rattlesnake season right now, and they can bite without a warning while they can't rattle.

Interesting article on baby rattlers: 'You don't hear them': Silent baby rattlers pose risks for the unsuspecting - The Verde Independent - Cottonwood, Arizona