mtbr member

Convert mountian to DJ?

Is it reasonable to convert a mountian bike to a DJ style bike? The primary purpose of this bike is to use it for pump track and urban riding. I just don't want to pay a lot for a DJ bike when I don't really do that. Would the cost be nearly the same to justify the conversion?

dirt visionary
    Depends on the bike in question.... A good type of bike to find used would be a 4x/dj type bike. You could get a frame cheap and just put the cheapest good parts you can find on it and a dj fork for 100 or less and be good to go.

I have an 04 specialized sx which is for dj/4x bike does great on pump track stuff and is small like a dj bike since its only 4" travel. I also have a staats soft tail which is a ds/4x/dj 4" travel bike and it rips. The main thing is geometry.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, what frame are you planning to convert? Most hardtails will work OK but if it's a super light XC type you may want to reconsider (DJ could be pretty risky with that).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I was not planning to convert any of the bike I currently have but have been checking Craigslist everyday. There are some 24" but I am thinking this is not the choice I want to make. It's just I am getting anxious and want to do something quick without spending too much. Thanks

Shred...it's the new drug
    a 24" would be perfect for a pump track bike. should be able to snag one up for $200-300. That black market is still out there for $500...sick bike!!! When you hitting the shuttles with us?

mtbr member
    I am glad to hear you say a 24" is good option in fact I think I know where one is for a great price. I am healing really fast so it won't be long now! Even started doing some cardio but it isn't riding. This weekend I will be trail riding. Keep the trails cleared cause I got a couple more weeks then I am there.

mtbr member
    Bob, I am glad to hear you say a 24" is good option in fact I think I know where one is for a great price.
    Chris, I am healing really fast so it won't be long now! Even started doing some cardio but it isn't riding. This weekend I will be trail riding. Keep the trails cleared cause I got a couple more weeks then I am there.