mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Continental Vertical Pro. Vs. Maxxis Minion DHF For AZ Trails

I am looking into possibly getting some new tires, Currently i am running Panaracer Fire XC Pro. I have heard great things about the Maxxix Minions as well as the Continental Vertical's, i mostly ride xc so I'm looking for something that can corner and roll very well.

Does anyone here in AZ (or AZ like trails) have any experience with either or both of these tires that could give me their recommendations?

Thanks!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I use minions on both my dh and xc bike. I was running a high roller rear on my xc which of course rolled fast but really lacked with technical climbing that I do mostly on T100. Due to this I went back to a 2.35 DHR minion on the rear. The new High roller II looks like it has more of an aggressive climbing paddle vs the old one. Overall, I like the consistency and predictability with the minion tires in the dry conditions out here. They may be a little heavier than others or may not roll as fast but predictability is far better IMO. I have not tried the continentals.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    The High Roller Super Tacky seems to climb great everywhere. They wear out very quickly though.

The WTB Velociraptor Race also seem to work well for climbing and technical trails but they are somewhat flimsy as one might expect from a XC race tire. They track great though, better than the Minion DHF in my experience.

I am running a Minion DHF 3C up front on my 6" bike. It is durable and works very well with one notable exception. Mid-transition on loose ground is not confidence inspiring. For me, the tire unhooks quickly in this transition zone. It is great in the middle, and great leaned over, but in between gets loose very fast. The same trails and maneuvers on other tires (Nevegal, Velociraptor) stay hooked and planted. I know they work well for others though but that is my experience. I won't buy one for the front again but will happily run this one until it wears out. Your experience may be positive, however.

mtbr member
    I ran a Minion DHF on the rear for awhile and the sidewalls are thin. It corners well but is not a good choice for AZ's rocky terrain IMO. Lately after running Schwalbe Big Bettys and Fat Alberts I've been really impressed with the wear and performance of the Contin 2.4and 2.2 RQ/Trail Kings. Less expensive as well.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    All Minion DHFs are not created equal. The Minion DHF 2 ply definitley does not have thin sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    All Minion DHFs are not created equal. The Minion DHF 2 ply definitley does not have thin sidewalls.
    True enough but that's a 2.5" 1300g tire. Who wants to pedal that uphill? The OP stated that he mostly rides XC. The 2.25" Maxxis Ardent with the EXO casing is a relatively fast roller and weighs 700 g. That would be a good compromise.

I'm not a Kenda fan but I've heard good things about the Slant 6.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    True enough but that's a 2.5" 1300g tire. Who wants to pedal that uphill? The OP stated that he mostly rides XC. The 2.25" Maxxis Ardent with the EXO casing is a relatively fast roller and weighs 700 g. That would be a good compromise.

Agreed, the exo grid would make a good compromise. I run single ply which is probably not the smartest thing to do out here. DC-U going out to PMP today?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

dirt visionary
    I run many variations of minion and highrollers. Minion is not the fastest tire but make up for it in traction and braking

I love the minions and have 100% confidence in their traction/abilities. I have tried my hands at many tires and perfer DHF/DHR minon combo in a 3c version...The 60a is good but a bit slippery at times but once one learns that piont it is very predictable, Super tacky wears quick but also grabs like no other. But sucks to pedal IME. Now I also like high rollers because them make a great alt rear tire for my bikes as they roll faster, However braking and climbing suffer a bit . High rollers front and rear require a very agressive riding style to get the bite most are after.

While I run mainly dual ply I have used the single ply with little issue also. I have one single ply on the front of my sx that has held up to jumping and dh surprisingly. But I also ran a set on my dh bike last year for a bit to get my bike down to 41lbs and while it held up great everywhere including sunrise. I took them both out in prescott because of rock punctures/tears/snakebites.

Other tires I have used and discarded are

chunders
    enduros
    nevegal
    kinetics
    mountainking
    conti diesel
    michilen dh16 and 24's
    mutano
    wolverine
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

I wasn't suggesting the DH casing tire as a good choice for XC, just pointing out that 'Minion DHF' is not sufficient to make the statement about thin sidewalls.

I pedal that one up hill frequently mostly because I want to minimize the chance it will go flat on a rough descent. It makes for slow, tiresome pedaling but oh well. Sure makes it nice when I hop on a lighter bike too.

The EXO has yet to fail me so far, so if that could be had in a lighter tire, like the Ardent in the size you suggest, it may be a nice option. Seems like I've seen a decent price on those somewhere recently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all of the Input! I am really leaning towards the Continental Vertical Protection's. I have read alot of reviews on the Minions and some are great but others are very ehh. I haven't really heard much negative about the Vertical's, i know a couple of people who ride them and say they love them! Has anyone here tried them?

dirt visionary
    Your always going to hear about an item more when its used by over 1/2 the people around .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Thanks for all of the Input! I am really leaning towards the Continental Vertical Protection's. I have read alot of reviews on the Minions and some are great but others are very ehh. I haven't really heard much negative about the Vertical's, i know a couple of people who ride them and say they love them! Has anyone here tried them?
    The Vertical Protection is a great tire for Phoenix trails. Light and grippy and the Protec sidewall is pretty tough. I know a few people are running them tubeless with great success. I've torn sidewalls on the non-protec version, I've also torn sidewalls on the Minion single-ply version.