mtbr member

Conti Trail king 2.4 work good in AZ?

Just got off Ardents 2.4", both got side walls slashed with in a week of each other. Good tire tho, other than the side walls. I have a DHF in front now.

Anyways I'm probably gonna order a Trail King for a rear. Yay, nay, other suggestions? Im basically looking for a fast rolling, wide, knobby tire that I can jump and treat rough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yup. It is a good all around tire. I have not seen to many complaints about side wall issues.

Specialized tires with the control casing mated to stans rims have never let me down after many many pairs. They set up tubeless with a floor pump and have great sidewall strength for their weight.

I run either the captain control or ground control in the back, and the purgatory in the front.

My other ride is your mom
    I found the Conti's to run a little on the narrow side, but the compound wears very well and they roll fast. FTR....I've had a sidewall slash on every kind of tire out there....so take that with a grain of salt.

mtbr member

Re: Conti Trail king 2.4 work good in AZ?

My thought are the same as above. I ride the high desert of Oregon and those combination work great.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm running the TK 2.2 protection casing, black chili compound, on the rear of my trailbike. It's my first time running a Conti tire and it's paired with a Minion DHF exo 2.5 front.

I don't find it to run small at all, at least not in the way Maxxis runs small. I debated the 2.4 UST casing, but I didn't want a tire that big/heavy for this application. So far, I'm quite pleased with it. Running tubeless at about 28 psi, traction is very good and it rolls well; can't comment yet on sidewall longevity.

Didn't pop right on tubeless as most Specialized and Maxxis tires do. I had to put a tube in it to get the beads to pop. After that, it set up fine.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    I run either the captain control or ground control in the back, and the purgatory in the front.
    +1.

mtbr member
    If you ride a lot in the PMP sidewall tears are just a part of life. The rock there is the sharpest in the valley.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I found the Conti's to run a little on the narrow side, but the compound wears very well and they roll fast. FTR....I've had a sidewall slash on every kind of tire out there....so take that with a grain of salt.

So true. I thought Nevegals and Rampages were good bets for not getting sliced. I saw both sliced on the 300. Meanwhile my x-kings (with protection) made it through with no problem. Go figure.

If only someone would invent a tire that didn't get sidewall slashes, and was under 800 grams. I'd buy a crapload of those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    If only someone would invent a tire that didn't get sidewall slashes, and was under 800 grams. I'd buy a crapload of those.
    They're called feet, otherwise you're SOL.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I have 2.4 trail kings and love them. Probably won't buy any other tire. I've torn Specialized and Kenda sidewalls, not the Conti's. Also wear is great. You get your money's worth.

mtbr member
    I got a brand new set when I bought some parts off a guy and I was planning on selling them. I'm thinking I might try them out instead. They're a beefy tire forsure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. These sound like a great tire.

Paste eater
    Conti's may run small but the Trail Kings do NOT!. I also was riding Ardents before. The 2.4 TK is about the same size but knobbier, grippier, tougher and a little slower.

I live in Moab so similar terrain FWIW...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, a 2.2 TK is nearly the volume of my 2.5 Minion DHF.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yep, a 2.2 TK is nearly the volume of my 2.5 Minion DHF.
    Woah Nelly! I'm wondering if they retooled it....about a year ago, we got a single TK in 2.2 at the shop and I bought it up and slapped it on my bike and damn if it was skinny......wait a minute, it was my 29'r......are we talkin' 26'r? I may be talkin' gorgonzolla when it's clearly brie time.....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    gorgonzolla is like blue cheese,, it's camembert that is similar to brie

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, talking about 26ers

EDR
    I run a Black Chilli TK 2.2 UST in the rear, 2.4 ust Purg in front. The TK is not small. Just smidge smaller than my 2.4 purg. I agree with the poster that said it's about as big as the HR 2.5's. Not quite but very close. I think it would dwarf a 2.35 high roller which is more like a 2.1. It's big enough that I decided against the 2.4 for a rear application.

I find Speshy control casings to be paper thin, I have no use for them but I see others seem to find them adequate so IDK. The TK, Speshy GRID tires and Schwalbe Snake Skin all have really good sidewalls for single ply tires. But most tires I buy are ust.

Get one, great AZ tire.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I've had good luck with my TK 2.4 on the rear. It's bigger than the 2.5 minion I have up front. I ride PMP almost exclusively and sidewall tears are just part of the game. I am finding that a bigger tire seems less susceptible to sidewall tears than smaller tires, especially in the rear.
    Last edited by SiO2; 04-25-2013 at 06:14 AM.