Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Completely OT--Tour de France

Even if you're not a roadie, our could care less about the Tour, I highly recommend you catch tomorrow's stage. My prediction is that it will be the most entertaining stage of any Tour.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    It should be fun. You knew that Lance was going to try for either the 16th or 17th stage when he took himself out of contention in the 15th stage.

I have actually ridden the Tourmalet and it is a brutal climb. In reality, from the direction they are coming from, it is almost 40kms of straight up climbing.

Schleck will try to punish Contador but I think it will be Contador's day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    It should be fun. You knew that Lance was going to try for either the 16th or 17th stage when he took himself out of contention in the 15th stage.

I have actually ridden the Tourmalet and it is a brutal climb. In reality, from the direction they are coming from, it is almost 40kms of straight up climbing.

Schleck will try to punish Contador but I think it will be Contador's day.
    If Monday didn't happen, I would probably agree with you. But something tells me Andy is going to pull something out of his bag, and be in Yellow again after tomorrow. Which should make Saturday (and possibly even Sunday) special.

I don't think Lance has a shot at winning a stage this year.

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm

I think that Andy will make it hard for anyone wanting to keep up with him tomorrow! He's pissed and has every right to be!
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    If this Tour has done anything, its confirmed that roadies are a pack of whinging, whining sooks.

Jens Voigt excepted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ya. What is the deal with people being made a guy tried to win when his rival had a bike problem? What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZnewbie
    Ya. What is the deal with people being made a guy tried to win when his rival had a bike problem? What am I missing?
    All I'm saying is watch tomorrow.

Apparently there is a certain protocol when it comes to mechanicals and the yellow jersey. In this specific instance, I'm a bit indifferent. On one hand, I think it was a bit underminded by Contodor (who, I will admit, I'm not a big fan of), but on the other, he actually began his counter attack before Andy dropped the chain, and it was the last climb of the stage.

Yea, I admit, watching a bunch of skinny runts ride their bikes is hella boring, but the whole strategy thing is kind of interesting. Plus, I could listen to Paul and Phil read the dictionary.

suvlako
    I heard Jason Ellis(Sirius radio) refer to it as the "Tour De Who gives a ****"and I couldn't agree more. To add to the who gives a shittedness, here's a video of the primadonna Lance Armstrong perpetuating the stereotype. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsqS...ayer_embedded#

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    I didnt see anyone wait up for Cadel when he broke his elbow.

Its a bike race, not a bunch social ride. IMHO, bike mechanicals are all part of the race.

Mind you, I wouldnt want to have been Andys mechanic that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    I heard Jason Ellis(Sirius radio) refer to it as the "Tour De Who gives a ****"and I couldn't agree more. [/url]
    That's because Lance, nor any of the Americans, are in contention.

mtbr member
    There is an unspoken rule in the Tour that you don't attack the Yellow Jersey if there is a problem (mechanical, crash, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I could listen to Paul and Phil read the dictionary.
    How true.
    I couldn't imagine watching bike racing w/o them.

mtbr member
    Holy roadies batman, roadbikereview is blowing up on the topic. 700+ post in 2 days!!!!!!

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=219373

livin' the dream......
    This is the first time I have really paid attention to the Tour, and have been watching it just about everyday. The strategy in interesting and the scenery is fantastic. I started road riding last winter and am pretty hooked...........not sure how that happened, but I really enjoy getting on the road bike!

Tomorrow will be good as skinnytire pointed out!

CAB
    mtbr member
    The first time that I turned on the tour this year I LOLed due to the fact they had to x-ray bikes to check for motors in the down tube... It still makes me laugh

I am Bob
    I've had a lot of fun watching this year. The mountain stages are especially fun to watch. The amount of gas these guys have in their tanks is truly amazing.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    I've had a lot of fun watching this year. The mountain stages are especially fun to watch. The amount of gas these guys have in their tanks is truly amazing.
    The other day I heard they were doing like 450 watts. So last night on the Nautilus. I ran up to the max level (20) at a cadence of 85. Only managed 350 watts for a minute or so.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    There is an unspoken rule in the Tour that you don't attack the Yellow Jersey if there is a problem (mechanical, crash, etc).

How is this possible? Does the yellow jersey wait for 2nd and 3rd place if they crash into eachother?

mtbr member
    How is this possible? Does the yellow jersey wait for 2nd and 3rd place if they crash into eachother?
    yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I enjoy watching the tour every year, regardless of who's in contention. Too bad HTC doesn't have some mountain contenders, this would be fun to watch over the past few stages: http://http://www.google.com/intl/en.../mytrackstour/

Over the Hill
    Did you all see some of that sindletrack goodness following the ridges lines in the Alps?

I would rather watch the Tour than baseball, basketball of football.

Dean

Zipper
    Yes I couldn't help but to drool over that beautiful single track in the background of the tour coverage.

As for tomorrow while I think Andy and Alberto will be dueling it out, I think we need to keep an eye on Lance. I know he is not in the running for the overall but I also think he really wants to win one stage at least this year. Its going to be an interesting day to say the least.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Look back in Tour history. Lance and his leading group waited for Ulrich when he crashed off the mtn. Tyler Hamilton had the lead group wait when Lance had an issue. Fabian Cancellara and Saxo Bank held up the whole peleton because of crashes this year.Those are a few that come to mind. The leader wants to be in yellow clean, by physical prowess, not because of a minor mechanical or crash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KYjelly
    I didnt see anyone wait up for Cadel when he broke his elbow.
    He wasn't a GC contender or in yellow

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    On one hand, I think it was a bit underminded by Contodor (who, I will admit, I'm not a big fan of), but on the other, he actually began his counter attack before Andy dropped the chain, and it was the last climb of the stage.
    Conti knew he had a mechanical. Watch the reply. He almost road off the mtn. to get around Shleck. Andy had a huge jump on him and Conti was late to respond, it wasn't a counter, it was desperation and that's why he kept kicking. He knew he could get a minute or more back in the time trial, there was no reason continue that move. Plus there were more mtn. stages left. He also boned his own team mate out of a stage win 500m from the finish by not doing the honorable thing. Funny how he does all his interviews in English, except that day. Contador is an ass and only rides for himself. We'll see if Vino will still be riding for him next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast