mtbr member
    Sep 2006

community-associated MRSA

MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. Sadly, cyclists are susceptible to this in some very sensitive areas. I was talking to a physician athlete friend of mine and she said it is on the rise in the sports community: soccer players on shins, cyclist on the taint, football players or team sports with community laundry.

She recommends: keep it clean and dry, get out of the wet chamois as fast as you can; avoid the double tour of duty for your shorts, donít ignore saddle sores.
    I spent it all on bikes, beer and wasted the rest of it.

mtbr member
    I like to butter up the chamois with lots of cream prior to riding. After ride, shower then once everything is nice and dry...I use some gold bond powder-orange container (the miracle powder)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not sure I follow how MRSA is a problem for cyclists. MRSA is a bacteria that's transmitted via physical contact... so you'd have to have skin-to-skin contact with an infected person or touch an object used by an infected person. It's a big problem in gyms because carriers can leave it behind on the equipment.

The only way I can see your taint being all that susceptible is if you're sharing a bike with others. And riding naked.

mtbr member
    I had surgery 9 weeks ago to remove an absess caused by MRSA. According to the physician, he sees more of this now in the general population than you think. It spreads quickly and can be rather painful. Everyone carries MRSA around to some degree. It doesn't become a problem until it finds an open wound, i.e. a cut or scrape to get into and then boom! It grows very rapidly.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am a MD and we see this all the time. It is true that to become infected with MRSA you need contact with another source but the prevalence is growing like crazy and is all over in PHX. If you do become infected you need antibiotics and then wash your body with surgical wash. (hibiclenz). The cure rate is not great but about 85%

try not to get this one guys!

Saucy Size Moderator
    So it sounds like it's a good rule of thumb to not rub your dirty post-ride taint against someone's bacteria-infected wound. Is that about right?

This totally blows my holiday plans.

p.

My other ride is your mom
    dang.....there goes the post ride tea-bagging. Just when you think they've taken away the last bit of freedom you had.....we sink to a new low.