mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Coming to Scottsdale (moved from visitor sticky)

All - Great thread...thanks.
    I am coming to North Scottsdale next week for a few days. Set up an Anthem FS from AOA and thinking of the McDowells. Looking for a 4-5 hour fast and flowy ride. Dont want to kill myself on huge rock drops (my first time riding in desert). Good? I also want to be within a 30 min drive from N. Scottsdale!!!!

EDR
    I am coming to North Scottsdale next week for a few days.....Looking for a 4-5 hour fast and flowy ride.
    Are you planning on starting your ride at 3am?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Better bring a light and start suuuuper early if you want to ride that long. Although it was cooler today. Only got up to about 110 degrees.

McDowells are good. Trail 100 is good too (so I hear), and I like riding the trails in Cave Creek (Very close to North Scottsdale, depending on where exactly you'll be.

I might be game to ride. But I am not game for no stinkin' 4-5 hour heat stroke fest. lol

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, you'll need to rethink your ride expectations if you're not acclimated to the heat. Unless there's some sort of radical temperature inversion next week, you'll want to be off-trail around 8 a.m.

Meatbomb
    2 hour ride in the summer max

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ok - So, I am going to reset my expectations. Ill be up at 530 and out the door...I am not acclimated to the hear (at least not while riding - I come from Canada - jeez...)
    If I do Mcdowell on day 1 - what is proximate to that distance for day 2? Cave Creek?

Thanks all for your comments - hate being the newbie freak! ;0

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cave Creek can be whatever you make it. We did a 14 mile loop last night on the group ride and it took me about 1:45. About 1,000 feet elevation gain. It was 105 degrees at the start of the ride (7:00) and 101 by the end. (8:45)

I just moved here from Florida, so the heat doesn't bother me. But the climbs sure do! lol

If you're in town on Wednesday, come on out for the group ride. Great group of folks, great ride, and great food afterward. We meet at Flat Tire Bike Shop in Cave Creek around 6:30 and roll out at 7.

EDR
    I come from Canada - jeez...)
    OMG!?!@

Hit the trails at 5am, and be back at the hotel eating breakfast by 8. Good luck man! 117 degrees on Saturday. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the advice guys...If you are riding those trails later in the day and see me flat out - you know i didnt listen very well!

Meatbomb
    Im going to telluride and durango for the next 2 weeks... this place is too effing hot for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbike2001 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys...If you are riding those trails later in the day and see me flat out - you know i didnt listen very well!
    Tubeless with Stans is the only way around here.... Will carry a slime tube in case I see you. lol

Saucy Size Moderator
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yo guys. Did McDowell competitive stuff this am. Was there around 6am. Was cool. Nice track. I'll be back tomorrow too. Thanks all for the advice
    2011 Giant Anthem3 x29'er - Stock (so far)
    2009 Specialized RockHopper Hardtail - Looking to rebuild