mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Colorado DH..........where to go?

I have some time off and want to go ride lifts in CO. Can anyone recommend a spot or two, preferably close to one another? I have ridden a lot of mountains, and hear good things about the downhill scene there in CO. Please advise........

mtbr member
    I heard this place was good...

http://www.trestlebikepark.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I heard this place was good...

http://www.trestlebikepark.com/
    I just got back from Winter Park for a backpacking trip, and I swear I never saw more DH bikes on the back of car racks than when I was there.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Alive and Lurkin'
    KeyStone is definitely worth checking out. Vail is fun, usually no lift lines on the weekdays. +1 for WinterPark. Sol Vista is expanding. Steamboat, Breck, Crested Butte, Durango. Many to choose from. BTW, if your going through the Durango area, check out Silverton's DH scene, they only run on thursday thru sunday if I remember right.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Wrench-O-Phile
    We head up to CO almost every year... usually the Summit County area. Our interests used to be all about shuttle or lift assist adrenaline, but we know only devote a day or two of these week long trips to gravity type thrills.

So this is what I know...

Keystone: Probably the best variety and biggest man made stunts. A really fun NorthShore type corkscrew that gets you 12 or so feet in the air and then wraps under itself. There are drops and skinnies as well as plenty of jumps. Rode here 2 summers ago.

Winterpark: Fair amount of man made stunts including a 25' or so "wallride" which is way fun. Not as much variety or steeps, but I am sure they are adding every year. Rode here last summer.

Micki rocking the trail: http://www.vimeo.com/5796520

Sol Vista: Wasn't super impressed. Had some cool flowy trail with some deep berms. No man made stuff with limited options. This resort is expanding however and seems committed to the scene. Rode here last summer.

One run: http://www.vimeo.com/5515873

Telluride: FREE CHAIRS!!! No cost is a great deal, but the trails are not the best. I have heard they have a new skills park with lots of jumps which has made things much better. Many of the trails seem to have been designed with XC in mind and demand pedaling back to town. Rode here 2 summers ago.

Vail: We rode here many years ago and there used to be some insanely fun secret trails which were very steep. We have since returned and all those routes were blocked off. What we found wasn't nearly as impressive. But, that may have changed. Last rode here about 4 summers ago.

Beaver Creek: This was a while back as well, but used to have a trail called "Stickline" which was steep, rooty and fast. Had a lot of other "secret" trails as well which were amazing, but they got clamped down on a while back. The mountain itself was amazing, just don't know the status of what trails exist now. Last rode here about 3 summers ago.

Breckenridge: We had no luck here, but that was about 6 summers ago. The trails that existed at that time were total beginner BS. I am sure that has changed, but don't really know. I will say there is a NorthShore type setup just a few short riding minutes from town that the locals built. Skinnies, teeter-totters, bridges... all that fun stuff. Just go into a local bike shop and ask where to find it. From memory, you basically head out of the City Market parking lot, cross the street and head up. No known charge for riding here.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    We head up to CO almost every year... usually the Summit County area. Our interests used to be all about shuttle or lift assist adrenaline, but we know only devote a day or two of these week long trips to gravity type thrills.

So this is what I know...
    This is a great post!

*Bookmarked*

banned
    Me and Mikey did our CO adventure as follows...

Drove from Phoenix to Telluride 07/03. Left Telluride for Fruita/Grand Junction 07/05. Drove to WinterPark same evening. Trestle 07/06 and 07/07. Got rained out at Keystone 07/08. Drove back to Fruita to camp. Drove back to Telluride 07/09. Ended up at Sunrise 07/10 and finally home.

We got to ride every day and I wish I didn't have to come back home

suvlako
    Done all the bike parks in Denver area and I would say Trestle was my least favorite. Keystone has the most variety of terrain, features, jumps etc etc. Sol Vista is an awesome mountain with highly demanding features like stiletto, lip skidder, and ski jump(all jumps and step downs). In addition, if you are just beginning, SV has many beginner trails that will put a smile on the most advanced rider's faces like Silky Johnson and Ashy Larry. IMHO, I would forgo Trestle and hit these two. Trestle is owned by the same company as Whistler if my memory serves my right but they are still a ways out from being Whistler. Have ridden Vail too but def not trying to cater to Dh riders. My .02 cents.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Done all the bike parks in Denver area and I would say Trestle was my least favorite. Keystone has the most variety of terrain, features, jumps etc etc. Sol Vista is an awesome mountain with highly demanding features like stiletto, lip skidder, and ski jump(all jumps and step downs). In addition, if you are just beginning, SV has many beginner trails that will put a smile on the most advanced rider's faces like Silky Johnson and Ashy Larry. IMHO, I would forgo Trestle and hit these two. Trestle is owned by the same company as Whistler if my memory serves my right but they are still a ways out from being Whistler. Have ridden Vail too but def not trying to cater to Dh riders. My .02 cents.
    Trestle is cheaper than Keystone and has Delirium on tap. Hit boot camp to be all you can be and be done with it.

suvlako
    Those must be the new trails they added this year. When your done with those, you can ride the Boulevard. over and over and over again. What ever the difference in price is, is well worth it. Besides, didn't you say you got rained out? That's a bummer cuz you would have loved it!

mtbr member
    I went to Keystone 3 or 4 yrs ago and it was awesome. Variety of trails and wicked steep compared to what we have here. The village was pretty quiete when we were there but the lodging was excelent. It is definitely on my return to list.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Those must be the new trails they added this year. When your done with those, you can ride the Boulevard. over and over and over again. What ever the difference in price is, is well worth it. Besides, didn't you say you got rained out? That's a bummer cuz you would have loved it!
    That was Keystone. it was a bummer cause I really liked Santitarium, although it was way to wet for the corkscrew...

I did ride Boulevard a crap ton though... so fast.