Ouch, I am hot!

Cold Weather Gear Rant!!!!

With all this cold weather, my small supply of cold weather gear is getting plenty of use lately. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi knee warmers and have used several different kinds of leg warmers. None stay up!! Sometimes the slipping is so annoying, I decide I would rather be cold.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions to stop the slippage?
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    besides getting a pair that fit?

actually, never walk with them on. and get a pair of bike shorts with moderatly tight elastic on the legs. then place your tights UNDER you shorts. thus you get double the elastic to hold them up. by under I also mean put them on before you put on you shorts. you can get the leg warmers up much higher this way.

again don't walk with them on.
    b

I am Walt
    I have a couple pair of Hind winter-weight tights that I used to use for running in Colorado and Wisconsin. I wear them under a pair of spandex shorts or my regular Fox baggies. They are very warm and comfy and work great.

So just get a pair of tights, rather than leg warmers.
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    Yes, leg-warmer issues. Mine keep slipping down no matter how high I pull the damn things. Yes, they are under my riding shorts. But I must say, they do keep my legs warm, I just have to pull them up every once in a while.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    how about a squat or 2

Not a Barry supporter.
    or just stop riding in the cold
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    how about a squat or 2
    I'll work that in on my gym rotations. I already do thigh work but could definitely use more and squats couldn't hurt.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    get a pair of tights, thow your riding shorts on over...
    did this for a million years in Canada, and never had any "droopy".

BTW... where are you riding that you need leg warmers? .
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Yes, leg-warmer issues. Mine keep slipping down no matter how high I pull the damn things. Yes, they are under my riding shorts. But I must say, they do keep my legs warm, I just have to pull them up every once in a while.

first let me say that I am NOT advocating this.....but Su.Ling....you might need to get longer shorts.

the elastic on my baggies could reach to about 2 inches about the knee. I normally set the elastic to be mid thigh. and the warmers are much closer to the nether regions. so there is 3-5 inches of overlap. (yours are barely overlaped if at all).
    b

Hi!!!
    My riding buddy has had the same problem with a couple of pairs of both Novara and Pearl Izumi leg warmers. He even dropped down a size (from large to medium) and he's still having slippage issues, but it's only on one leg. I think he may just need to drop down to a small.

Have you considered making your own? Or what about somehow tightening up the opening of the warmers? Maybe undo the stitching the just take it in a smidge and then restitch it?

Large wheels & one gear
    Good topic. I have never used leg warmers but am a bit interested since it is so cold right now. Not meaning to go off topic here but can someone recommend a good brand/style of leg warmers at an affordable price to purchase? And do those of you that use them have problems with them staying up? Or is it just Geoff?
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

Occidental Tourist
    occam's razor
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    Good topic. I have never used leg warmers but am a bit interested since it is so cold right now. Not meaning to go off topic here but can someone recommend a good brand/style of leg warmers at an affordable price to purchase? And do those of you that use them have problems with them staying up? Or is it just Geoff?

I know it's a journey for you, but Performance has their in house brand leg and arm warmers for about $15.00 a pair. I picked some up to use on my Weds. night rides, and they work pretty good, except for the occasional slide.

Dirty Monkey

Try this...

Just an idea, Geoff, but mebbe this will help:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.5 KB, 180 views)
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

Large wheels & one gear
    That will do Kevin! $15.00 works for me. Thanks.

Nice avatar Mike! Couldn't agree with you more!
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

Fragile - must be Italian
    Huh - I have 2 pairs of REI knee warmers and they both stay up fine. I only wear them with lycra riding shorts...never with baggies. They go UNDER (not over) the shorts. The knee warmers have grippers on them, and with the extra snug lycra sitting over the top of them, I have no idea how they could ever fall down.

Geoff - how are you wearing your leg warmers? I don't recall you having wimpy little chicken legs, so I doubt that's the problem (if it is...go to the gym!). You must be doing something wrong or are wearing the wrong size.

FWIW - I wear a size Medium in the Novara brand knee warmers (Pearl Izumi's also fit similarly).

Some others have also mentioned tights. This is definitely the best option if you are 100% certain the entire ride will be cold. I wear my riding tights over lycra shorts and they are very comfortable. The biggest downside with tights is that if the weather warms up, it's a PITA to take them off (whereas knee/leg warmers are a cinch to remove).

Thx...Doug

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Huh - I have 2 pairs of REI knee warmers and they both stay up fine. I only wear them with lycra riding shorts...never with baggies. They go UNDER (not over) the shorts. The knee warmers have grippers on them, and with the extra snug lycra sitting over the top of them, I have no idea how they could ever fall down.

Geoff - how are you wearing your leg warmers? I don't recall you having wimpy little chicken legs, so I doubt that's the problem (if it is...go to the gym!). You must be doing something wrong or are wearing the wrong size.

FWIW - I wear a size Medium in the Novara brand knee warmers (Pearl Izumi's also fit similarly).

Some others have also mentioned tights. This is definitely the best option if you are 100% certain the entire ride will be cold. I wear my riding tights over lycra shorts and they are very comfortable. The biggest downside with tights is that if the weather warms up, it's a PITA to take them off (whereas knee/leg warmers are a cinch to remove).

Thx...Doug
    Thanks everyone for the help. I have tights and hate wearing them. First, the extra layer in the seat regions bothers me. Second, they are a pain to take off and in most cases are too warm for my needs. Indeed, even leg warmers are a bit overkill for me. Thus, so far, in this weather, knee warmers would be my first choice. I put them on correctly and they are the right size. I guess they just slip. I was hoping for some sort of strap/velco system. So far, dirtluvraz has come up with the best solution for me. Go figure.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    So far, dirtluvraz has come up with the best solution for me. Go figure.
    For some reason I always pictured you in red, not black.

Yuri's elegant solution would work as well. Maybe you could pull a Stevo and just staple the knee warmers into place.

I bike, I brew
    The Garter! What a hoot! And so functional.. no need to remove anything when the "squat position" is needed! For those who aren't willing to forego form for function, I would think an oversized pair of suspenders would do the trick too!

Seriously - commuting via trails to school 3 days a week for several years now has had me run the gammut of what things are available out there. For me, I found that the separate warmers are a pain, unless you're in a situation where you're starting out below freezing and ending up at 50+ degrees (which, actually, happens quite frequently). I have opted for the "tight" option, and just wait for the right deals to come up and nab them. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a pair of tights (usually through Sierra Trading or Performance), and I have three that I use now... A thicker, fleece-lined pair for *really* cold (start *and* finish below freezing), a thinner pair (for that window - above freezing, but still ok into the 40's), and a pair that is more like a tight pair of jogging pants (I think they're "tri-athelete types) that are good for just throwing in the pack.

A common benefit for all but the thicker version is a zip-up opening around the ankle...this allows me to wear them over shorts and shed very easily if I'm on a longer ride that warrants (or slide on very easily if I'm out after dark). If there's no ankle zip, it is a real pain to have to remove shoes, etc...

Heading out to 24HOP in about 15 minutes... here at home, the thermometer just clocked 30 degrees... I'd suspect mid 20's at 24HOP... can't think of a better way to start the day

Hank

mtbr member
    I need them on my morning commute into work.
    I have Pearl Izumis, once I pulled them up far enough, they stayed up no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.